• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Credit Checks For Employment

Years
I would like to know everyone's opinion on this topic here. I do understand the Job Market in the US has been bad and Jobs being outsourced overseas.

But recently in America I have been seeing a lot of employers been using Credit Checks as apart of the Background check to see if a applicant is eligible for employment.

What does everyone think of this practice???

Silais

That useless reptile
Years
  • Seen Jul 17, 2016
I see hypocrisy in these practices. Companies seem to have no trouble hiring overseas and hiiring illegal immigrants, but when it comes to United States citizens there are dozens of hoops to jump through to even be considered for employment.

Legal citizenship, criminal record and a proof of residence should be all employers look at when considered someone for hire.

Years
I see hypocrisy in these practices. Companies seem to have no trouble hiring overseas and hiiring illegal immigrants, but when it comes to United States citizens there are dozens of hoops to jump through to even be considered for employment.

Legal citizenship, criminal record and a proof of residence should be all employers look at when considered someone for hire.
I will have to agree with you on this Silais. It is like not only are they hiring overseas and illegal immigrants, They are judging on one's records that no one should have no business looking at and I feel can even make discriminatory decisions on hiring.

They say a Credit check determines whether some one makes the model employee or will even steal, Some even say it reveals the person personality. Once again I disagree with all this. When I worked for Washington Mutual, a bank that failed the funny thing was what they did not report in the news So many of the Stock Holders were actually embezzling the customer's money.

KittenKoder

I Am No One Else
Years
The credit check method is .... inconsequential to the potential employee. Really, the information they get is the same they get by calling all your references anyway. However, it does benefit the consumer, a lot. For one, it's faster, cheaper, and more efficient to get all that information on one report, instead of the old method of calling every reference and verifying the information manually. Credit reports also contain criminal history, something companies which do depend on such things use to have to contact law enforcement to get, and that costs money as well. A credit report is not just what credit cards or loan you have had, it's .... everything about you, it is your entire life for the last 7 years in detail. The three credit agencies of the world have proven to be better at tracking people's lives than even the CIA of the US. So much better than you can even use such reports to find out if anyone shares your name, lineage, or if someone is trying to steal your identity. Credit reports are world wide, citizenship itself has no bearing on them but will show up in them, sorry Silais, even an illegal citizen in any country will have a history recorded in the system.

The problem lies in that your medical history is also included, and that should not be included in those. Any time you are labeled as disabled or retired by the government, that's going to show up in there. Many companies will avoid hiring people with specific disabilities, in spite of it being illegal in the US there are ways around those laws, and not all such disabilities are truly permanent in spite of being considered such by the government of the US.

One thing that credit checks do is open up what you can put on your resume. No one likes a ten page resume, and often you need ten pages for a general resume to include everything you know. Credit reports offer up a lot of the information which use to be the bulk of the resume, thus you can now add more personal information and still keep it one page long.

Ultimately though, this is the future, a unified system of information for each individual. It offers a lot of benefits, security, and over all simplicity to our way of life. It also encourages personal responsibility and planning, something we are still needing more of from our species. If you don't pay that parking ticket, you know it will hurt you in the future, so why not pay it and get it over with before that happens? Had to miss several years worth of work due to an injury? No need to explain it now, it's all there on the one report. Bosses can no longer lie about firing you either, which was a common method of destroying an ex-employee's reputation in the past, because the report has that information in there.

The mysterious nature of some things is often because people don't look into what they really are. Recently I was against credit checks, I didn't actually know what they were, I thought they were just about what money you borrowed. Then .... I looked into the matter more in depth and discovered what is actually in those reports. When the mystery faded, so did the doubt, and now I am all for a unified system that tracks even more information for each person than this. My only complaint, 7 years is a short time these days, with people now living to 100 years easily, it needs to be extended to 20 years to cover more ground. Also, doctors should be using these reports as well, instead of just guessing at the patient histories or hoping the patient can even remember when they'd last had some shot or other. Then make the reports easier to obtain by certain people, like law enforcement and medical facilities, so they can verify you without having to wait forever.

Melody

Banned
Years
As an employee in the job market I see no reason for the employer to see my credit record. In my opinion; seeking a job is step one in taking responsibility for your debt and that should go without saying.

Years
The credit check method is .... inconsequential to the potential employee. Really, the information they get is the same they get by calling all your references anyway. However, it does benefit the consumer, a lot. For one, it's faster, cheaper, and more efficient to get all that information on one report, instead of the old method of calling every reference and verifying the information manually. Credit reports also contain criminal history, something companies which do depend on such things use to have to contact law enforcement to get, and that costs money as well. A credit report is not just what credit cards or loan you have had, it's .... everything about you, it is your entire life for the last 7 years in detail. The three credit agencies of the world have proven to be better at tracking people's lives than even the CIA of the US. So much better than you can even use such reports to find out if anyone shares your name, lineage, or if someone is trying to steal your identity. Credit reports are world wide, citizenship itself has no bearing on them but will show up in them, sorry Silais, even an illegal citizen in any country will have a history recorded in the system.

The problem lies in that your medical history is also included, and that should not be included in those. Any time you are labeled as disabled or retired by the government, that's going to show up in there. Many companies will avoid hiring people with specific disabilities, in spite of it being illegal in the US there are ways around those laws, and not all such disabilities are truly permanent in spite of being considered such by the government of the US.

One thing that credit checks do is open up what you can put on your resume. No one likes a ten page resume, and often you need ten pages for a general resume to include everything you know. Credit reports offer up a lot of the information which use to be the bulk of the resume, thus you can now add more personal information and still keep it one page long.

Ultimately though, this is the future, a unified system of information for each individual. It offers a lot of benefits, security, and over all simplicity to our way of life. It also encourages personal responsibility and planning, something we are still needing more of from our species. If you don't pay that parking ticket, you know it will hurt you in the future, so why not pay it and get it over with before that happens? Had to miss several years worth of work due to an injury? No need to explain it now, it's all there on the one report. Bosses can no longer lie about firing you either, which was a common method of destroying an ex-employee's reputation in the past, because the report has that information in there.

The mysterious nature of some things is often because people don't look into what they really are. Recently I was against credit checks, I didn't actually know what they were, I thought they were just about what money you borrowed. Then .... I looked into the matter more in depth and discovered what is actually in those reports. When the mystery faded, so did the doubt, and now I am all for a unified system that tracks even more information for each person than this. My only complaint, 7 years is a short time these days, with people now living to 100 years easily, it needs to be extended to 20 years to cover more ground. Also, doctors should be using these reports as well, instead of just guessing at the patient histories or hoping the patient can even remember when they'd last had some shot or other. Then make the reports easier to obtain by certain people, like law enforcement and medical facilities, so they can verify you without having to wait forever.
I still do not agree with this Unified Method. Sure I agree with checking on your Criminal Records but the problem with these Credit Checks once again and I will say this contain a lot of errors and some one's financial records is no one's business unless you are applying for a Loan or even a Mortgage, I agree on a credit check for that.

True there are things that are not perfect with the Background Checks. Actually there are other methods of Background Checks that are actually better then a Credit Check, Costco does not agree with a Credit Check for a Job, Even a Bank called Bank United does not agree with it. To each its own but I for one I'm still against someone's financial information being apart of a Background Check for a Job.

KittenKoder

I Am No One Else
Years
I still do not agree with this Unified Method. Sure I agree with checking on your Criminal Records but the problem with these Credit Checks once again and I will say this contain a lot of errors and some one's financial records is no one's business unless you are applying for a Loan or even a Mortgage, I agree on a credit check for that.

True there are things that are not perfect with the Background Checks. Actually there are other methods of Background Checks that are actually better then a Credit Check, Costco does not agree with a Credit Check for a Job, Even a Bank called Bank United does not agree with it. To each its own but I for one I'm still against someone's financial information being apart of a Background Check for a Job.

Almost all "background checks" depend on credit checks, and the more often that is done, the worse your credit score is, according to loan companies. As I pointed out, the credit check is not just about your credit score, your credit score is based on the credit check itself, and a bunch of fuzzy math done by those you are attempting to get credit from. The actual credit report contains ... everything about you on one report, already, it is the "unified report."

Only a small portion of jobs care about the actual credit portion of the credit check, they are, in fact, looking at prior work history and criminal background, all of that is in there. Originally this was included because credit companies wanted it all to decide if a person was trustworthy, thus it eventually became the "everything report" it is today. Trust me, Starbucks doesn't care about whether you defaulted on a loan, but they do need to know if you worked for the people you claim and if you are a criminal with certain types of convictions, that's all on the one single report we call the Credit Report.

Years
Almost all "background checks" depend on credit checks, and the more often that is done, the worse your credit score is, according to loan companies. As I pointed out, the credit check is not just about your credit score, your credit score is based on the credit check itself, and a bunch of fuzzy math done by those you are attempting to get credit from. The actual credit report contains ... everything about you on one report, already, it is the "unified report."

Only a small portion of jobs care about the actual credit portion of the credit check, they are, in fact, looking at prior work history and criminal background, all of that is in there. Originally this was included because credit companies wanted it all to decide if a person was trustworthy, thus it eventually became the "everything report" it is today. Trust me, Starbucks doesn't care about whether you defaulted on a loan, but they do need to know if you worked for the people you claim and if you are a criminal with certain types of convictions, that's all on the one single report we call the Credit Report.
Looking at the prior work history and criminal background I do not mind having that checked as that is a very important aspect and I will not argue with you on that. What I do have the problem with is any Job checking the actual Credit portion of your background is where I have the problem with. Personal finances are no ones business period. Unless you are applying for a Loan or Mortgage in which that was what a "Credit Check" was created for.

The problem I have is with Job's checking your financial history determining whether or not you are a good employee is the gripe I have and where I see it is hypocritical. That is where I have the Gripe at.

When people say your financial records show the type of person you are , I do not agree with that. There are billionaires and people with perfect Credit and Financial support and are still stealing and embezzling Billions upon Billions of Dollars. Yet if some one was down on their luck and does have a background and expertise in a certain Job or skill and they are a outstanding citizen with no history of stealing or criminal record and could not pay their bills due to a Hardship, That is where I have the problem with.

I should not have to explain my financial situation to getting a Job. That is no ones business.

KittenKoder

I Am No One Else
Years
Looking at the prior work history and criminal background I do not mind having that checked as that is a very important aspect and I will not argue with you on that. What I do have the problem with is any Job checking the actual Credit portion of your background is where I have the problem with. Personal finances are no ones business period. Unless you are applying for a Loan or Mortgage in which that was what a "Credit Check" was created for.

The problem I have is with Job's checking your financial history determining whether or not you are a good employee is the gripe I have and where I see it is hypocritical. That is where I have the Gripe at.

When people say your financial records show the type of person you are , I do not agree with that. There are billionaires and people with perfect Credit and Financial support and are still stealing and embezzling Billions upon Billions of Dollars. Yet if some one was down on their luck and does have a background and expertise in a certain Job or skill and they are a outstanding citizen with no history of stealing or criminal record and could not pay their bills due to a Hardship, That is where I have the problem with.

I should not have to explain my financial situation to getting a Job. That is no ones business.

Well, some jobs it is part of the criteria, such a loan officer or bank employee, for example. Other jobs can determine how honest you are, if you default on a loan or have a ton of outstanding debt, you can be considered dishonest. Really though, they tend to base hiring people on even worse criteria many times. ;)

Years
Never knew this was something that was done. I mean, I know that there are background checks for certain sensitive jobs, but I always figured the main reason for those was one of safety. You know, like teachers and such. It does smell like yet another way that people down on their luck will stay down on their luck. It's like how they say the best time to get a job is when you have a job. The longer you're unemployed the less likely you are to get a new job.

Years
Well, some jobs it is part of the criteria, such a loan officer or bank employee, for example. Other jobs can determine how honest you are, if you default on a loan or have a ton of outstanding debt, you can be considered dishonest. Really though, they tend to base hiring people on even worse criteria many times. ;)
I worked as a Teller with Washington Mutual and my Credit was Perfect.

However later when Washington Mutual was bought out by Chase I lost my job due to the merger and I was unable to pay anything as the sudden loss of my job. And I know that there are places out there the base hiring on worse criteria like when I worked a the Buckle for three days. They discriminate on how you look and such.

But I do not agree that if you have outstanding Debt or Defaulting on a Loan makes you a dishonest person. There are billionaires out there who are stealing and more dishonest than anyone on earth, Such as people like the Koch Brothers using there wealth and billions to get what they want from the government and Ken Lewis from Bank Of America using the Ponzi Scam to make more money

But that is another argument for another time.

Scarf I agree with you 100% on what you said.

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
Years
As an employee in the job market I see no reason for the employer to see my credit record. In my opinion; seeking a job is step one in taking responsibility for your debt and that should go without saying.

I agree, koff~

In order to erase debt, you have to have a job. In order to get a job, you can't have any debt. What is this, Wonderland? See, this is why people rob banks, koffi~

Melody

Banned
Years
I agree, koff~

In order to erase debt, you have to have a job. In order to get a job, you can't have any debt. What is this, Wonderland? See, this is why people rob banks, koffi~

Indeed. We need not overly penalize people for their individual challenges. I am oftentimes against things that employers do that remove that human and social element from candidate selection. While I do understand the need to narrow the applicant pools, I don't condone removing human contact at some point from the process. Computers can do many things but they cannot ever get a true read for someone.

Oftentimes employers miss out on otherwise perfect candidates when they screen like this, just because they had one tiny flaw that could have been overlooked or worked through. A computer is compassion-less and therefore would simply slap a lower ranking on the candidate without consideration of what exactly the situation is. Furthermore there's little opportunity to provide such information in the application process unless you're willing to write a novella in your cover letter. Even worse is that the same computer might just toss out your heartfelt cover letter because it's too long, or truncate it, and make you look a fool.

Overall; I find today's HR "innovations" to be rather backwards. Many candidates in need would be flexible with employer needs so long as their needs are sufficiently met. All it would take is a question at the interview, if that. Sometimes I feel like too many companies forget that, in the rush to pad their bottom lines, the employee makes them what they are, and that perfect employees are rare, and never perfect from the start. This is particularly true when the employee has skill sets, skills or training that unexpectedly become useful in that position.

Back