• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Quick Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psiiionic

RNG please ^-^
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Nov 12, 2017
Is there any up to date Entralink RNG abuse guides lying around cause I only foubd one on Smogon but I wanna abuse some pokes, can someone give me a link to a guide using latest RNG reporter thanks.

Years
  • Seen Aug 1, 2012
Leveling strategies?

Hello everyone, I haven't played since I was a child, with the original R/Y/B. Looking to get back into the game but looking for a few suggestions as I don't want to gimp myself for later in the game. I've been doing my research on EV's/IV's restarted about 30 times and managed to get a Tepig with adamant/capable of taking hits (was going for adamant). In regards to leveling, I've beat the second gym and am currently chasing down Team Plasma (what happened to Rocket!?) my Pignite is level 25 (I've been doing just a "wee" bit of EV training) and I'm curious as to how many Pokemon I should be leveling across the board? Should I just find three great ones, or evenly level a full six to get through the game. Suggestions and comments would be great, thank you!

Years
[SIZE="a"]For my play through of Pokemon White I mainly utalised the Audino's in the rustling grass.
As for team sets, I'd recommend three good ones that were in my party.
Axew, Tepig and Lilligant.[/SIZE]

Years
  • Seen Aug 1, 2012
[SIZE="a"]For my play through of Pokemon White I mainly utalised the Audino's in the rustling grass.
As for team sets, I'd recommend three good ones that were in my party.
Axew, Tepig and Lilligant.[/SIZE]

I just caught an Audino not to long ago, what do you mean by utilizing them?

Years
Can someone please explain EV's and party.

I read and understand somewhat how EV's work, my question is if I have a level 1 zorua If I kill 252 Patrats ( Assuming Im not using items or pkrus) and Lets say that killing all 252 got me to level 24 , at that level will my Attack ev be maxed? Or is it that I need to get a certain amount of EV's every level until 100?

I'm also interested in what I should have in my party, I'm thinking in eventually doing WiFi battles. I don't want to follow the sheep and use what everyone uses. But I would like to know how nature's affect my moves and EV training.

All help is greatly appreciated Im new to EV training and natures ect, I have played every single game and beaten it but never did I pay attention to EV or natures.

Again all help welcomed.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
I never understood it that well, but what I know of Effort Values is located at Bulbapedia including a fully sortable list of exactly what effort points you obtain for beating each enemy. You can also sort by experience that list I refer to.

Apparently I'm making my Pokémon very strong on the hit points side of things. Interesting. I'll have to vary it up myself once I branch into the new Routes.

Cyclone

Haseyo

쏘쿨
Years
Natures are pretty obvious. Each one (excluding the neutral ones) raise one stat by 10% and lowers another by 10%. You want to aim for a stat you know that Pokemon really would need and one that it doesn't at all / won't really matter.

For example. Arcanine is a physical attacking Pokemon. Sure it has some decent special attack, but the smarter thing to do is focus on its physical attacks, such as Flare Blitz and Outrage. You would want an Adamant nature. That increases attack and decreases special attack. You won't need the special attack stat at all, so there's no harm in it going down.

EV's are like free stat points you can distribute. Let's take Espeon for this example. Espeon excels in speed and special attack. If you want a pure offensive sweeping Espeon, you would invest EV's in speed and special attack. You can deliver 252 in a stat, maxing out at 510 (meaning you will have 4 free points to place where, which wouldn't really matter). Want a more bulky Espeon? Invest 252 in HP and 252 in special attack.

In-game, these things aren't too important since you have the use of items, but it really shows in competitive battling.

Just know...once you start doing this, you never go back. Even if you just want to beat the story again...you'll start to pay close attention to natures. EVs cannot be helped since you must fight Pokemon to defeat them, and many times it's the opposite of what you want (using Psychic types against Fighting types, which generally give Att EVs).

As for IVs...iirc, you cannot really do anything about them. Pokemon are basically "born" with them. Many competitive battlers use Pokesav to get the best IVs mainly for Hidden Power choices.

And for a team...well, just visit the "RMT" section for tips on that. Most Pokemon have a good purpose, but some just plain suck.

Years
I see thanks for the replies, I'm starting to see. I'm still confused about how the EV's are received , I know how to earn them and somewhat where to place them but like I stated above I still got 1 question I would like some insight on:

"If I have a level 1 zorua If I kill 252 Patrats ( Assuming Im not using items or pkrus) and Lets say that killing all 252 got me to level 24 , at that level will my Attack ev be maxed? Or is it that I need to get a certain amount of EV's every level until 100?"

Years
Awesome thanks , so basically I can just level a level 1 and after say lvl 23 have finished with EV's. After that can I level regular with exp share till 100?

Haseyo

쏘쿨
Years
Yep. Or, get the Pokemon to Lv100 via EXP then EV train. It's better to EV train when you're higher than the area you're EV training so you can speed up battles. Don't have to wait until Lv100 of course, but EXP share to around 50 should be okay.

I found this recently for good EV Training spots (for B/W, of course): http://pkmn.net/?action=content&page=viewpage&id=8877

Also, if you are pretty rich, then don't forget dem Pokedrugs like Protein. They give 10 EVs each use, and can max to 100. Good way to boost if you have the money.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
You can only get 510 EV's on one Pokemon, so as long as you train against just the Pokemon you need the EV's from or finish EV training before you start training the Pokemon in question, you don't have to worry about the EXP Share handing out EVs to the Pokemon.

Years
So i should max out the EV's before I start training then? Sorry guys I'm new at this. Also If I breed a Zorua with say Adamant nature do I need to have like a specific move that it hatched with? or can I obtain that move later on? On that part I'm still confused.

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
Years
So i should max out the EV's before I start training then? Sorry guys I'm new at this. Also If I breed a Zorua with say Adamant nature do I need to have like a specific move that it hatched with? or can I obtain that move later on? On that part I'm still confused.

To answer your EV related question, you'd be gathering EVs WHILE training what ever distributes the type of EV your looking for. Items such as Power Bracer boost EV +4 and the additional EV what ever POKeMON you KO'd.

Furthermore, you're max EV limit for one POKeMON is 510, so you can distribute the EV into which ever stat of the POKeMON you're looking for. Normally I give 170 to three stats I want to be boosted.

Here are some helpful links to EV trainnig.

The first is the EV yield for every POKeMON up to date. 100% accurate for 4th and 5th gens.

This is a basic informational sh-- stuff... for EVs

An other questions I can help you via VM or PM. Whichever you prefer.

Years
So basically I can EV train at level 1 and when I max it out say 252 in at and 252 in speed and 4 in hp i can then continue to level to 100 without having to worry because I'm EV capped at what ever level i capped it ( say i maxed it out at lvl 23).

T!M

Years
So basically I can EV train at level 1 and when I max it out say 252 in at and 252 in speed and 4 in hp i can then continue to level to 100 without having to worry because I'm EV capped at what ever level i capped it ( say i maxed it out at lvl 23).

Exactly. Once you cap your EV max you can train worry free of inheriting any unwanted EVs.

Scratch that.

Scenario: If you have 252 Speed EVs and you battle another RATTATA (Common Speed EV Giver) it won't go into your speed EV pool because it's maxed out.

Scenario: Some POKeMON such as UNOWN give off 2 EVs of different kind (1ATK and 1SPAK) here to fore, be careful of those.

Years
Ok but I mean say Im maxed at 252 AT and 252 speed at level 24 after that I can just kill anything till 100? also how does exp share work?

T!M

Years
Like I said before that, as long as you have 510 EVs total you're done, you can KO anything.

As for the EXP Share, from what I KNOW! The POKeMON you're training for EVs has to KO the POKeMON directly to receive the designated EV, but don't quote me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back