• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Assist Mode, Normal Mode or Challenge Mode?

Which mode would you choose?

• Assist Mode

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Normal Mode

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • Challenge Mode

Votes: 29 78.4%

• Total voters

blue

gucci
Years
So with B2W2 comes two new modes Assist Mode and Challenge Mode, the titles are kind of self explanatory; Assist mode decreases the difficulty of the game and Challenge Mode increases the difficulty.

Unfortunately, you can't access these modes until you have completed and defeated the Champion on either Black 2 or White 2 (Assist Mode for White 2 & Challenge Mode for Black 2) Unless you have a friend locally who have unlocked either of these modes.

If you had the option however, which mode would you play in for your first play through?

I would definitely choose Challenge Mode since from the start, I've never played Pokemon in a setting where everything is slightly harder and I love a challenge.

Jeremy

<font color="deepskyblue">Sweetie</font>
Years
Definitely challenge mode, sweetie. I love a challenge.

Infact, I'm buying both versions so I can give myself challenge mode in White 2. I'm not waiting for my friends to beat the game to give me that mode. XD

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
Years
Any trainer that has played at least a couple generations should be doing challenge mode. Not sure why theres an assist mode since you have to play it thru normal.

o Pikachu o

Pikachu
Years
Challenge Mode. Pokémon games are way too easy in my opinion and challenge mode might add a bit of challenge for me.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
Years
Why they invented assist mode is above me. It seems pretty hard to make it easier then it already is. I will take the high level of pokemon as opposed to puny stuff you would get from assist mode. This also seemed to cater a bit for people who do Challenges as it gives them more to work for.

squirrelfeet

Challenge mode. Bonus Exp. points for my Pokemon and easier training.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
If I had a choice between Assist and Challenge modes pre-National Dex, I'd probably do Challenge mode; I've played the Pokemon games for quite some time, so Normal Mode still might be too easy for me.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
Challenge mode, just because I want to see how challenging they actually can make it.

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

Challenge mode, but I won't be buying both so I won't be able to do it.

Years
Why would anyone want the game any easier? As it is, I think I've lost 2 battles to the AI in my life, and that was just from poor preparation by being horribly underleveled. Challenge mode would give me extra incentive to grind early on.

Only downside is that I was planning on getting White 2, but I might have to re-evaluate my decision now.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
I was planning to purchase Black 2, as I purchased White previously. With that I'm looking forward ot playing the challenge mode - I think it'll be a little motivation booster fro myself to re-play the game. I have no idea why they woudl create an an assist mode, especially since every main series Pokemon Game has been relatively easy to conquer.

Years
I would go for Assist mode in one game (as maybe I'll get to level up faster? that'll help me get to WiFi battles faster), and then Get on Challenge mode out of curiosity

I'm not very found of this idea though...

Last edited:
Years
Why they invented assist mode is above me. It seems pretty hard to make it easier then it already is. I will take the high level of pokemon as opposed to puny stuff you would get from assist mode. This also seemed to cater a bit for people who do Challenges as it gives them more to work for.
I second this. I like to do challenges too from time to time, so that will be interesting, doing a challenge in challenge mode.
Challenge mode. Bonus Exp. points for my Pokemon and easier training.
I also second this. Because the game is already too easy, so challenge mode can't bee TOO hard, and you get more xp to train your pokes!

Overall Assist mode sounds stupid and an insult to us. Advanced, on the contrary. Advanced mode seems like a good idea, as long as they don't screw up the game and make it un-balanced or some joke like that.

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
Having an easy, normal and hard mode makes as much sense in Pokemon as it does in any game. I know when I was six and playing Red, it was very difficult for me and I may have appreciated an assist mode at the time. Being now a veteran of the series I would of course pick challenge mode, as would most of us here; but bear in mind that nobody is born a gamer, assist mode has its place.

Years
Normal Mode for me, cos I like to play fair and square.

Also, Challenge Mode is a bit overrated for me and Assist Mode is too easy.

Years
I'll probably try out both. However, when it comes down to choosing one for a re run of the game, I'll probably tough it out in Challenge Mode.

Years
I kinda wish the modes were available at the start, but of course that would sorta set Black 2 and White 2 completely apart from past Pokemon games (which isn't necessarily a bad thing but it'd be a bit too big a change).

Anyway, I guess I'd just do Challenge Mode once I unlock it. I don't see the point in Assist Mode and... Well, I'd already have played through Normal Mode so it'll be interesting to see how much of a heart attack I have when I face the League in Challenge Mode :P

Back