• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Jobs??

sρεcтяα

Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jul 23, 2013
When I was in College I worked at a local Tesco, although that only lasted for about 9 months before I quit - my hours were destroying my health (5:30am to 2pm, standing on tills all morning) and I was lazy/immature, so it didn't really sit well with me.

I managed to land myself a job working in my University as an Administrator last month, which is quite nice. The contract is only for six months right now, although there is the possibility of it becoming permanent. I work in admissions, so I deal with student applications, which is more interesting than it sounds. The hours aren't too bad (8:30 - 5:15, 4:15 on Friday) and the environment is quite relaxed, so it's quite enjoyable, although it drags something awful when there isn't any work to do.

To be honest, I'm not sure about where I'll be going from here. I'd like a job as a Business Analyst, or to get into a graduate scheme with that in mind as the end goal, but I'll plan for that after my contract expires if it doesn't become permanent. If it does I'll take it and do a PGCE part time so I can pursue a career in teaching in the future. I like to keep my options open.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
I'm a corporate lawyer, and have been since August of last year. It's my first proper job and, to this day, I have no idea how I managed to get it. I'm on what's called a 'training contract': a two year employment contract with my firm in which I spend 3 or 6 month rotations around different departments. In my time so far, I've spent 3 months doing bribery investigations, 3 months doing competition law litigation and I'm coming to the end of my third month doing corporate mergers & acquisitions (basically companies buying and selling other companies) but will probably be doing that for another 3 months. At the end of my contract, there's the opportunity to work for 6 months in one of the firm's overseas offices (I have my heart set on Tokyo but I honestly wouldn't mind going anywhere that they'd put me, to be honest). I don't know if I want to be a lawyer forever and ever and ever, but I'm enjoying myself for the time being: the work is relatively interesting, the pay is very good and it's job security for the next couple of years. When I'm a bit older, I'll see how I find it and make decisions accordingly. But that's still a long way off. :D

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 1, 2024
I've had two proper jobs.

My first job I got October of senior year at high school, and that was at CVS as a clerk and cashier. I quit because the manger at the time didn't give me any hours and I didn't see the point of bringing home only four hours worth of minimum wage every other week.

The job I have now is to help me save money. I originally got it to pay off college courses I had to drop, because I had a balance due to my college for dropping courses past the deadline since I didn't have money for books. I got it last year and it's at a car part's warehouse. Right now I work as a loader, so I load trucks, but I've grown fond of part picking and am going to be switched to that when they find a replacement for me (they offered someone a job the other day, so if all goes well, I should be a picker by next week!). I am working there right now to earn and save money (since now that my college is paid off and I go to community college, financial aid pretty much covers all of my expenses) while I go to school.

Years
I've been working on-and-off since I was 16.

My first job, I worked as a data entry person for a client of a temp agency for 3 months. I was working evenings, and because the economy was slowly crashing at the time (this was in Summer of 2007), they cut the shift I was working on and when asked to move to the day shift, I told them I couldn't because I was still in high school.

My second job was as a youth basketball referee for the local 5th and 6th grade leagues. Really, all I did was run the scoreclock and fill out the scorecard. That was a seasonal thing I did on weekends my senior year of high school for 3 months.

My third job was as a sandwich artist at Subway. I worked there for around 3 months, quitting after getting another job due to not being given any hours at all.

My fourth job was through the same temp agency as my first job and for the same client as well. I basically got paid to watch a temperature gauge on a computer screen for overnights every weekend. That lasted about 4 months, then I reached an end of assignment point and could not work the next job they offered me because I was in college during days at this point.

My fifth job was an IT internship where my dad works, which I started at shortly after telling my last agency I was unable to work during the days because of school. I was also a volunteer cashier for the local hospital's gift shop during this time. I quit both of those after almost 2 years in the internship and 1.5 years in the volunteer position when I was attempting to move closer to my planned 4 year school (I was attending a 2 year school for the duration of the internship) to get a bachelor's degree in Management of Information Systems, but I kinda ran out of money that I had saved up from that job, which led to me jumping straight back into the workforce full-time into my next job.

My sixth job was as an assembly line worker for a client of my current temp agency. Never again do I want to be that desperate for work that I have to work on an assembly line. Never. Again. I came to absolutely hate it, but it was better than not having any money coming in. They decided not to hire me on (it was a temp to hire position after 700 hours worked, and I worked nearly 2000 for them before they finally got to considering me in their list since I absolutely did not want to move shifts), which I was glad for because another opportunity that better suited my skills had come up within my temp agency.

My seventh and current job is as an inbound online-submission CSR rep for a client of my current temp agency. Much less stressful for the heavy-labor averse me than my last job.

Sanguine

malignant narcissist
Years
Attempt 1 - I briefly worked at HMV (2-3 months). It was probably the most relaxed job I have ever done, the team was lovely, my supervisor was amazing and the hours weren't too bad either. The only downfall was the pay, but I was fine with it.

Attempt 2 - After that, came the Nando's period as a Coordinator. Arguably the most stressful job I've done, while also being the most fun - you're always on your toes, I guess.

Current - Recently, I started at a martial arts gym which later expanded, where I currently teach Thai and Taekwondo as a junior instructor. With more experience, I hope to advance ^-^

The hours are fine, the pay is pretty generous imo, and the staff are a bunch of fun. The best aspect of the job is seeing the disbelieving faces of the students as you tell them to do 30 crunches xD

My innate violence may also play a factor >_>

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
First and current job, installations and logistics coordination for a small computer company (contracted by Sainsbury's)

Might sound engaging, but it's basically desk jockeying using MS excel all day and calling people up for a 10 minute chat and 30 second work discussion. Sometimes I love it, sometimes I hate it. It can get very dull when nothing is going wrong, but I enjoy dealing with the people they've all got a bit of character. Except I refuse to deal with the stores themselves, every single store manager I've spoken to is a douche.

Reactions: Her
Years
I'm a graphic designer and web developer. I work primarily as a higher education instructor in my field. I am also servicing my own clients in the marketing and promotion realm on a regular basis.

It's great, I am doing what I love and it keeps me young! Plus, I have a flexible schedule and can pick who I want to work with (only awesome people of course)!

Years
My actual job is Lawyer.

I don't like the atmosphere, sometimes its so dark, but I like to interpret and found ways of solutions.

Kyrul

Long Live The Note
Years
Current:
Age 19-20: I'm a Private First Class in the Army: National Guard. Haven't deployed yet. Haven't had much luck on the civilian side of things yet, but I have a part-time job working military funerals. I'm one of those soldiers that fire off the 3 rounds. Decent money, nothing to make a living off of though.

Past:
Age 16-17: I worked in a factory, packaging bug poison. Factory got closed down, lost job.
Age 17-18: Worked as a contractor for a company that rents coffee equipment to gas stations. I preformed preventive maintenance checks and services and small repairs on the equipment. Best job I ever had, I live in the country, so it sometimes took hours to drive to clients, a full PMCS took about 2-4 hours to preform, most clients were really friendly, so I enjoyed the work a lot, but while I was at basic combat training the PMCS department shut down, lost job.
Age 16-18: I don't know if this counts since it was voluntary but I used to volunteer at a food pantry, just organizing food, downgrading delivery trucks and private-proof stuff like that.

Last edited:

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
My most memorable job, I was a Resident Assistant in college. This was in a building where everyone not on staff was a freshman guy. So you can imagine the sorts of trouble they got into and the sorts of crap I had to put up with. One incident involved a 1:00AM fire alarm. In January. And the thing they set off on the 10th floor took over an hour to clean up before we could go back in. Yeah, I wasn't happy about that.

Before, I did some office work for the college's mathematics department. Afterward, I was in charge of a supplemental computer class for the "remedial" math course offered by (a different) college (where I did a year of grad work).

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
Haven't had a job in a while but I also haven't held very many.

Hostess / Phone Operator @ a Chinese food restaurant
I was hired on the spot because I could speak English, I think. I applied for the hostess position and I got that and on my second day I was placed in front of the phones and that's pretty much what I did for the rest of my time there, which was about 4 months. It wasn't a very inspiring job but it did help me get over my anxiety around phones.

Assistant in Accounts @ microbrewery
Got the job because my dad was a high up manager in another section. I worked it a few times, once over the fall and another time in the summer. It was a lot of data entry, some filing, a tiny bit of phones/customer service, and a bit of office jockey. I had a lot of free time in this job and it was pretty boring but it secured my belief that I absolutely want a desk job.

Data entry & assistant in QA @ same microbrewery
I was hired on a very part time (once a week or so) basis to do data entry for the Quality Control part of the brewery. That was fine and I'd done most of it when one of the regular workers went away for a month so I was quickly trained up to do the basics and the job, which I'd only accepted because it was so part time, became full time. :| My job expanded to include grabbing samples of all the beer tanks every morning and running a bunch of science-y tests on them and recording the information, then tracking people down if something was wrong. The worst part of my job was definitely the once or twice a week I'd have to... god I don't even remember what the test was but I had to filter some part of the beer process through a small funnel and GOD IT TOOK FOREVER. I'd be standing there waiting for enough beer to trickle through so I could run some test and it was so boring because it was something that had to be done after I'd finished everything else. I did a lot of things at that job but this is one of the very few things that actually stands out because it was so boring. Fun job otherwise, though. Both times I worked at the brewery, they were pretty lax about everything so I could wear casual clothes all the time & I constantly had my earbuds in listening to music or audiobooks while I worked.

The discount I got at the first job wasn't very impressive but the free case of beer I got from the brewery each week was pretty neat.

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2023
Some of the first jobs I had involved factory and shipping plant work. These were some of the jobs I hated the most. I often found myself working in poorly ventilated areas and while the pay wasn't terrible, it just wasn't worth it for the range of tasks I was asked to do. I found myself packing crates, loading trucks, transporting other heavy materials around and cleaning up at the end of the day. I won't say these were the worst jobs I've ever worked, but the memories I have of my time at these places definitely reenforced the idea that I never want to work in a factory ever again.

After those jobs, I found myself mostly in supermarkets working third shift jobs. I was usually tasked with taking inventory and unloading trucks, moving pallets out to the aisles and stocking the aisles themselves. The work wasn't very hard, we just usually had to go at a fast pace, but the pay was great and the environment was nice. You meet an interesting bunch of people working in the dead of night. My least favorite aspect was probably that I just had to give up any hope of regular waking hours. I was in at work around 9 PM and out at 8 AM, slept most of the day and woke up in the afternoons.

I've also worked in a movie theater and not counting the free movies, I hated the job more than any I've ever had. The job left me feeling more exhausted and defeated than any factory job I've ever had. Once you clean restrooms after a very busy Saturday night, you start reevaluating your position in life.

I haven't had a job in a while, but I should be able to apply to a local teaching assistant program within the next school year, so that's cool.

(I also had this odd stint at a farm that didn't last too long, but it was long enough to realize I hate cows)

Last edited:
Back