• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Research: [Gold/Silver] Running Shoes

Coolboyman

Veteran Hacker
Years
Here's a simple thing I did for Prism. It lets you run when you hold B.

First thing's first. When the bike shop owner calls you it's pretty buggy without the correct flags. So lets just disable that.

97BFA:
ld hl,$7BE4 (21 E4 7B) - This will prevent the "bike step count" from working. It will always write 00 to the RAM where it's supposed to add up, so the bike shop owner will never call you.

10000: call $7E66 (CD 66 7E) - This will call the ASM from 13E66 needed to make this work.

13E66:
call $4017 (CD 17 40) - This is what was originally at 10000, to make sure nothing "screws up" we'll just move it here.
ld de,$D682 (11 82 D6) - Loads D682 from the ram into de (which is what determines if Hiro is on the bike or not)
ld c,$04 (0E 04) - Since the RAM uses the same location to check if you are surfing (identified with 04), let's make sure this function does nothing if you are surfing.
ld a,[de] (1A) - Puts the contents of de (D682 in RAM) into a.
sbc a,c (99) - Subtracts c from a
jr z,$7E8B (28 18) - Checks if a is equal to 0. If so, jump ahead 18 bytes which is ret (C9), ending the function. Since a can only equal 0 if it was previous 4, this will only happen if you are surfing.
ld de,$CF29 (11 29 CF) - loads CF29 (indicates what keys are down) into de.
ld a,[de] (1A) - loads the contents of de into a.

Since bit 1 is on if B is down, let's make it so it ignores the other bits. Let me know if there's an eaiser way of doing this, for some reason the other bit commands weren't working for me.

res 0,a (CB 87) - turns bit 0 in a to off (A)
res 2,a (CB 97) - turns bit 2 in a to off (Select)
res 3,a (CB 9F) - turns bit 3 in a to off (Start)
res 4,a (CB A7) - turns bit 4 in a to off (Right)
res 5,a (CB AF) - turns bit 5 in a to off (Left)
res 6,a (CB B7) - turns bit 6 in a to off (Up)
res 7,a (CB BF) - turns bit 7 in a to off (Down)
rcc, a (CB 0F) - shifts the bits in A down 1, changing 2 into 1.
ld de,$D682 (11 82 D6) - loads D682 into de again
ld [de],a (12) - Puts the contents of a into de.
ret (C9)

This will make the game write 01 into D682 if B is held down. If D682 is 01, that will make your characters speed increase. If you use this, just please give me credit. Enjoy.

Last edited:

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
Years
Wow, no one has replied? This is pretty awesome, CBM. Well done. I'm not sure how many people use it; due to the GBA hacking generation. Nevertheless this is still awesome.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jul 26, 2022
Wow, no one has replied? This is pretty awesome, CBM. Well done. I'm not sure how many people use it; due to the GBA hacking generation. Nevertheless this is still awesome.
This pretty sums up what I would've posted lol.

Melash

Back for now.
Years
Thank you very much for posting this, this should come in very handy for a project I am still working on. Great job.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jan 4, 2011
Thank you very much for posting this, this should come in very handy for a project I am still working on. Great job.

I thought you said on Skeentendo you had canceled it or put it on hiatus or something like that. :P

Well anyway. Nice thing you made there CBM. Might just do this for a crystal game anyway. ;)

Melash

Back for now.
Years
I thought you said on Skeentendo you had canceled it or put it on hiatus or something like that. :P
I actually meant to say that the project has not been cancelled, it will be revived and continued soon. But to stay on topic....
Well anyway. Nice thing you made there CBM. Might just do this for a crystal game anyway. ;)
Would this hack work for Crystal also? Crystal is slightly different, so it's possible it wouldn't work.

Coolboyman

Veteran Hacker
Years
I actually meant to say that the project has not been cancelled, it will be revived and continued soon. But to stay on topic....

Would this hack work for Crystal also? Crystal is slightly different, so it's possible it wouldn't work.

You would have to find the new RAM addresses, but I believe once you do that it shouldn't be hard to put this into Crystal

Melash

Back for now.
Years
I seem to be having several problems with this. I input it exactly as you have posted, and checked it several times to confirm it was correct, and it seems to be so.

The major glitch I'm having is that whenever I hold down "B" when exiting a textbox (with an NPC or similar) the player will automatically mount the bike.

I've also had the same glitch occur after battling certain trainers, but I think I can fix that. I may have also been caused by holding down the "B" button.

Sawakita

Not Invented Here
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Nov 17, 2019
Nice tutorial!

Since bit 1 is on if B is down, let's make it so it ignores the other bits. Let me know if there's an eaiser way of doing this, for some reason the other bit commands weren't working for me.

res 0,a (CB 87) - turns bit 0 in a to off (A)
res 2,a (CB 97) - turns bit 2 in a to off (Select)
res 3,a (CB 9F) - turns bit 3 in a to off (Start)
res 4,a (CB A7) - turns bit 4 in a to off (Right)
res 5,a (CB AF) - turns bit 5 in a to off (Left)
res 6,a (CB B7) - turns bit 6 in a to off (Up)
res 7,a (CB BF) - turns bit 7 in a to off (Down)
ret (C9)

This will make the game write 01 into D682 if B is held down. If D682 is 01, that will make your characters speed increase. If you use this, just please give me credit. Enjoy.

Maybe it's a stupid suggestion but, instead of resetting one bit at a time, why don't you use:
and 02 (E6 02) - so it reset all bits but the "B"-bit
ret (C9)

Is it one of the commands you said weren't working?

Full Metal

C(++) Developer.
Years
The following:
Spoiler:

could also be repointed, correct?
I'm thinking I might use this as a test for my new package system I'm making.
If it's alright with you, could I post the finished package on this thread for the metal gen. hackers to test?

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
Years
I seem to be having several problems with this. I input it exactly as you have posted, and checked it several times to confirm it was correct, and it seems to be so.

The major glitch I'm having is that whenever I hold down "B" when exiting a textbox (with an NPC or similar) the player will automatically mount the bike.

I've also had the same glitch occur after battling certain trainers, but I think I can fix that. I may have also been caused by holding down the "B" button.
Why not just modify the bike-sprite to look like the walking one ?
I'm pretty sure CBM has done that if the script works that way.

EDIT:
Thanks CBM as it works fine for me (and, I actually understood part of the things I was doing) :)
I'll give you credit for this.

Last edited:

wiidude645

I'm Just Beast Like That
Years
  • Seen Aug 10, 2016
what do you use to insert them? Is there a certain program to do so? Someone please tell me!
icon7.gif

Last edited:

Melash

Back for now.
Years
Why not just modify the bike-sprite to look like the walking one ?
I'm pretty sure CBM has done that if the script works that way.

EDIT:
Thanks CBM as it works fine for me (and, I actually understood part of the things I was doing) :)
I'll give you credit for this.

Yes, the bike sprite and the bike music need to be disabled for this to work.

Melash

Back for now.
Years
For me, the code automatically disabled the bike music
Hold on, are you talking about just regularly using the running shoes? During normal use of holding down the "B" button, everything functions just fine. However, if you hold down B when exiting a textbox, it will sometimes cause the player to mount the bike and cause the music to start playing.

The exact same code isn't going to function differently for the same game.

miksy91

Years
No, when exiting a textbox it will mount the bike but will not start playing the bike music. I've tested it both Outside & Inside.

miksy91

Years
Double-post, but for especially good reason.

You're right about the fact it plays the bike-music (for example sometimes after losing a battle).
It depends on the Map Loading Process -data (see the Scripting Compendium).

I tested it with Blackthorn City by changing 07 to 08 at 154c2, and bike music didn't start playing anymore after I failed in a trainer battle.
However, there are other locations too where you have to do the same thing.

Melash

Back for now.
Years
Double-post, but for especially good reason.

You're right about the fact it plays the bike-music (for example sometimes after losing a battle).
It depends on the Map Loading Process -data (see the Scripting Compendium).

I tested it with Blackthorn City by changing 07 to 08 at 154c2, and bike music didn't start playing anymore after I failed in a trainer battle.
However, there are other locations too where you have to do the same thing.
Changing the map loading process for every map that needs it is a little impractical, and could potentially cause glitches. Try disabling the bike music instead, just search for it in the VBA debugger.

80C

"This is a text filler!"
Years
  • Seen May 13, 2022
Very nice CBM!

I have got an idea\question:
could that be converted and used in Pokemon Red\Blue\Yellow?

Back