• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen All Things Sylveon

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
gimmepie, it won't be Normal-type. Take that to the bank.

Cyclone

Years
  • Seen Aug 7, 2016
Ever since I saw Sylveon the first time I was betting on it being a Normal-type Pokémon; but yesterday I had a dream that it was a Dragon-type Pokémon, so I'm going to stick with that assumption now. Haha~!

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
gimmepie, it won't be Normal-type. Take that to the bank.

Cyclone

You don't know that for sure. Nobody does. GameFreak's thrown a lot of surprising things at us, so we really don't know until it's revealed, but until then we can speculate. :3

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
You don't know that for sure. Nobody does. GameFreak's thrown a lot of surprising things at us, so we really don't know until it's revealed, but until then we can speculate. :3
Seriously, think about it. Why would they take Eeveelutions and add a Normal type? It's not super-effective against ANYTHING. By Gen. VII or VIII, and even during a Gen. VI remake, Sylveon would quickly become forgotten.

Cyclone

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I don't think GameFreak cares if things like this will be forgotten honestly. So it could be normal just because they want to change things up for a while and then follow up with two other types in later generations! Sylveon would just be like, a distraction kinda.

Years
@Cyclone - I agree in as much as I think it is unlikely to be a normal type, although I think that if Sylveon isn't there will be one at some point, probably the last one. But as Forever has said, Gamefreak/Nintendo love messing with out heads. It could be anything (except a new type) really.

I dunno about a distraction butt I'd say the reason they are withholding so much information and keeping the focus on Sylveon is so they can keep us interested until it is time to bring out the big news which in my opinion is actually the types of starter evos and legendaries.

I actually would like Sylveon to be a Ghost, simply because of how interesting that idea is too me but so far logic does dictate that it will be a Dragon... but then again, when has gamefreak ever been logical?

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
Well, I'll stick with my opinion: Sylveon will not be Normal type, and I've put that in the bank so to speak. Logic aside, I can't see why they'd make Normal the eighth Eeveelution when there are nine other types that haven't had one yet. I'll eat my shirt or something if I'm wrong.

My initial guess was Ghost, and because I said that initially, I'll stay with that guess (those eyes...). However, Dragon is a very strong possibility and my second guess. Not because of colouring, but because it would be an interesting Eeveelution and based on other comments here.

Cyclone

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
I'm hoping it's not Normal, not because I'm saying it's a bad type, I just think it'll be more interesting if it were Dragon, Pure Flying, or even Ghost.

Munchlax11

Munch?
Years
  • Age 26
  • USA
  • Seen Feb 15, 2014
I agree that there will be no light type, but that doesn't mean there won't be any new types. I have heard theories saying that Sylveon is possibly a "Fairy" type. I heard something how sylv has something to do with the forrest? Some people have said that that means Sylveon is bug type, but it looks nothing like a bug. Maybe its possible that Sylveon is like a type of forrest fairy?

Crunch Punch

fire > ice
Years
"Fairy" type does seem like a possibility; Pokemon like the obvious Clefairy and maybe even Jigglypuff would fit into that type. It could be resistant to ghost attacks but weak to dark ones. However I would prefer if Sylveon was flying or dragon, although it doesn't look anything like a dragon type to be honest haha

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
I really don't think there's going to be a new type released, especially for a new Eeveelution. It's a possibility, but it's just very slim to none at this point.

However, now that it's been mentioned multiple times I do see the ghostly aspect that are its eyes. I'm not convinced it's a Ghost type, but I suppose it's possible. All the ribbons just don't seem ghostly at all to me.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
Didn't you say this?

Therefore, it would be unwise to jump at the conclusion that Sylveon is 100% not a normal type by any means. There are strong hints that signal it's Normal-type(for me, that is). Again, the coloring matches a good majority of normal-types out there. If you look at the list of normal types, their design/coloring are very similar to Sylveon's.

I would say to keep your mind open to more future possibilities. I feel like I am of the position whereas it is kind of getting old kind of debating about Sylveon's type, but it'll probably something obvious that we already knew this entire time, anyway.
Yes, I did say they can do anything. That is still true. But I've thought about it since, and - using a Poker term - if I were going to go all-in on a prediction of whether it's a Normal type or not (ONLY that aspect), my money would be on not being a Normal type.

It's just my guess, and I'm fairly certain about it. There's something about those eyes that will either make it a Ghost type or a Dragon type. I'm honouring my first instinct when I first saw the picture, because one should always go with their gut. That's why I'm saying Ghost-type. If you think it'll be Normal-type, I won't stop you from having that opinion.

Cyclone

Guy

just a guy
Years
In my opinion, I think Sylveon has a better chance of being a Bug-type than Ghost-type. If we're to go off of its physical features such as its eyes and ribbons, then there are a lot of bugs and Bug-type Pokémon who have large eyes. Hence the common phrase, "It looks like you've got bug-eyes" when referring to someone who is usually wearing large glasses or sunglasses. Whereas its ribbons can act as Sylveon's antennae.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Espeon, Leafeon, and Glaceon have the same kind of eyes, just different colors. All three even have what looks to be white pupils just like Sylveon. First three have similar eyes as well, just that theirs are black with the white spot in them. Umbreon is the only odd one out with actual pupils, so the eye trait is in most of them and doesn't really relate to their types.

As for ribbons, Normal and Ghost are good choices as they are body parts if Normal and something like ghastly tendrils if ghost. I see Sylveon using its ribbons the same way that Snivy, Chikorita and Bulbasaur used Vine whip. A pair of hands to grab things and from what we saw it seems like it can extend them a bit.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
So maybe those ribbons can be part of it's flesh? That's a little weird, but, hey. @_@

I mean, I have no problems if it turns out to be a Ghost type, I mean, I'm a guy who enjoys Ghost types, it's just, eh, it's a little weird, thinking how it can be a ghost type, when... it doesn't look like a ghost type? But, yeah, there are those weird pokemon who are thought to be one type but are a totally different type. Yeah, but, you know, it does sort of reminds me of Driftblim in a way. It's overall anatomy and features reminds me of those.. "hands" Driftblim uses, so, yeah, I agree it can be some sort of ghost type in that way, but... eh.

Seriously, think about it. Why would they take Eeveelutions and add a Normal type? It's not super-effective against ANYTHING. By Gen. VII or VIII, and even during a Gen. VI remake, Sylveon would quickly become forgotten.

Cyclone

Honestly, if it does turn out to be a Normal type, I'd be lying to say that I wouldn't be disappointed, but, over the past weeks, I do see fair speculations of it being one. But, yeah, it can be anything at this point; I don't think there's a 'set' pattern for Eeveelutions.

Munchlax11

Munch?
Years
  • Age 26
  • USA
  • Seen Feb 15, 2014
What's frustrating about Sylveon is that it could be a lot of different types. You can't tell what it is by looking at it (like Jolteon, Lefeon, Flareon for example are obvious) that's why I think it will be a new type... not like I really want it to be a new type, or do I want there to be a new type at all for this generation, but I think if it was a type that already existed it would be a little bit more obvious. Plus if they weren't releasing a new type, why would they hold out on releasing its type? Sylveon is the perfect way for them to release a new type.

CloysterOyster

Master of Ice
Years
You all haven't seen nothing yet. :) Just wait until they show us the other Eeveelution to coincide with the other new game. We'll be stumping ourselves trying to figure it out too.

Oh, and I still call NORMAL on Sylveon's type.

Years
  • Seen Oct 10, 2013
When I saw Sylveon, I instantly thought it was going to be a ghost type, it has soulless blue eyes and has freaky ribbons that float everywhere. Besides, its name origins are related to a ghost that lives in the forest, HINT: A GHOST. Of course, GF has tricked us before, I thought Chimecho would be a ghost type but is actually psychic.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen May 13, 2022
What's frustrating about Sylveon is that it could be a lot of different types. You can't tell what it is by looking at it (like Jolteon, Lefeon, Flareon for example are obvious) that's why I think it will be a new type... not like I really want it to be a new type, or do I want there to be a new type at all for this generation, but I think if it was a type that already existed it would be a little bit more obvious. Plus if they weren't releasing a new type, why would they hold out on releasing its type? Sylveon is the perfect way for them to release a new type.

They are doing the same with Xerneas and Yveltal. I think GF holds their types as secret just because they want fans to speculate and staying tuned to Pokémon.
Remember when Zekrom and Reshiram were announced? First, the types were a secret and people speculated that Reshiram is a Light/Flying type. It turned out be a total different type. So I think that in the next Corocoro scan (this weekend or next?) Sylveon's type will be hinted, or even revealed.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I don't think it'll be just hinted, I think it'll be outright revealed. They gain nothing more other than annoying fans if they don't actually REVEAL it. ;(

Back