• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen HMs?

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
Which HMs do you think we will see in X and Y? Over the past Generations HMs have changed a lot, some disappearing and coming back, some becoming one after being a normal move, etc. Do you think any HMs will make a return? Will any HMs be cut? (no pun intended)

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
Sadly, I think Surfing might be cut.. I don't know how they can do water in 3D and make it look good.
Then again, scratch that.. phantom hourglass was done pretty well, wasn't it? Hopefully pokemon might be something like that.
Though ones like whirlpool and dive might be cut.. hmm it's tough to say.

I think it's safe to say that Fly will always be there though!

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Ohhh I hope they can make more HMs that can incorporate pokemon travel~! Like... riding on a pokemon's back? I'm not sure if any of the HMs will be cut; maybe Rock Climb because... you don't need it as much nowadays. And Flash I guess~

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I hope they don't play a dominant role and are only for optional dungeons. I agree with Kura though, Fly will always be there!

And even if Surf can't be done right on a 3DS, I think it'd at least be a TM.

Sirfetch’d

Surf and Fly are the only ones I hope to return. And assuming that you can reuse TMs again I see no reason to have Hms at all, but all TMs. But a think how HMs werent really needed in Gen 5 was a hint that they will never play a big part of the story again.

BanditThePikachu

The Raichu of awesome
Years
Surf and Fly are the only ones I hope to return. And assuming that you can reuse TMs again I see no reason to have Hms at all, but all TMs. But a think how HMs werent really needed in Gen 5 was a hint that they will never play a big part of the story again.
Same, surfing is pretty fun! And flying... oh flying... what would I do without it!

diamondmutt1111

A wild summer appeared!
Years
I hope they don't play a dominant role and are only for optional dungeons. I agree with Kura though, Fly will always be there!

And even if Surf can't be done right on a 3DS, I think it'd at least be a TM.

Yeah, save Strength and Surf, since both are useful in battle too...Flash, Defog, Rock Smash (should be a TM), Whirlpool, and Dive shouldn't come back. And Cut too...maybe.

Fly
Surf
Strength
...all moves that SHOULD stay as HM's

though some HM's have a theme of being weak...if a weak one MUST stay, then leave Cut or Dive. Maybe even Rock Smash.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Maybe only Fly and Surf will be useful. IMAGINE HAVING TO USE NOTHING ELSE. I don't think older ones will return though, the ones they had in B2/W2 were fine overall.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
Now that TMs are reusable, I don't think there's a need for HMs anymore. They can still retain their overworld use like Surfing or Flying to the next city. They've done it with non-HM moves like Teleport and Dig.

Darthatron

巨大なトロール。
Years
I doubt HMs like Surf will be changed to TMs. The whole point of HMs is that you can't trap yourself on some island in a cave with no way of getting out.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
Now that TMs are reusable, I don't think there's a need for HMs anymore. They can still retain their overworld use like Surfing or Flying to the next city. They've done it with non-HM moves like Teleport and Dig.

You cannot through away HM's.
Imagine getting to an island, and throwing away all your TM's then using a rare candy and forgetting Surf.
Well done, you've just earned a free pass to starting new game. :I

Also, I'm 100% certain that the usual, CUT, FLY, SURF and STRENGTH will be in there.
I have my doubts for Flash due to the 3D not working well with the filter used for flash.
DEFOG may come back, 3D would work a wonder with a heavy Fog Weather effect.
I'm hoping to see more Diving, I want Diving.
Waterfall, maybe. Will need some kind of epic 3D animation to do so.

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

I think they should stick to the ones in 5th generation, they were fine. Although, I would not mind if they decided Surf and Fly were the only HM's, because they are the only ones that are really essential. Keep the others and just make them TM's.

Zet

Years
I think it would be interesting to see HMs as actual machines that you use. e.g. surf = self-propelling surfboard, fly = helicopter hat.

Deceit

Toxic.
Years
I really hope they remove weak HM moves, as those are annoying. I think the amount in Generation 5 was good though. Most weren't really mandatory, and you only needed it at a few points (besides Surf and Fly), but if one of your pokemon knows the move, you've got a free item. Gen V was good at reducing the need of HMs, like strength, as the boulders now stayed permanently, and are not really needed in caves and such.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
You cannot through away HM's.
Imagine getting to an island, and throwing away all your TM's then using a rare candy and forgetting Surf.
Well done, you've just earned a free pass to starting new game. :I

Dude, you can still use Surf, but they're no longer HMs, as they are now demoted to TMs, which are reusable since Gen V.

Years
  • Seen Mar 13, 2014
I think HMs should die in a fire. Surf and Fly are alright, because they actually make sense.. But why should I waste a valuable move slot so my Pokemon can cut down a stupid little tree every time I go in and out of a door?... It was an amazing concept in the beginning, but now it's just annoying and a huge hinderance.

I think HMs should be replaced with items, so that they can still limit when you can do certain things. For example, you could get Scuba Gear (Dive), a Hedge Clipper (Cut), Flashlight (Flash)....

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
However unlikely, I hope they completely scratch HMs (keeping them as moves ofc) and making them items instead. Or just having you able to ride on a Pokemon's back as an option, they don't need to know a special move to be able to fly or swim!

BW kind of reduced the need for HMs at all other than Surf, we were barely required to use them at all, which was nice. I'm assuming they cut that out because people were getting annoyed with them, but we weren't annoyed because we had to use moves outside, it was because most of the moves sucked and took up a valuable moveslot. If they could make them not suck or turn them into items or just abilities that would be nice.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 13, 2024
I'm just hoping they make HMs more... I don't know... hidden, maybe? -____-

One of the things that made Unova so damn easy was because all the HMs were given to you as part of the plot and events that you had to do. I can't think of a time where I actually had to look for an HM. To me, up until that point, HMs generally made the game more of a challenge. In order to advance in the game, you needed a new HM to make your way to a new in-game area. In past generations, it was something that was a little more hard to come by than they were in Unova.

miltankRancher

Mega Ampharos is the one.
Years
As long as they did it like BW (where you don't need any HM to finish the story) I am fine. Though, Fly and Surf (I mean come on, there's gotta be a flyable atmosphere, and a sea there!) would be present. Probably waterfall also.

Back