• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Can it evolve further?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Personally, I feel that Pokemon has the potential to continue for a long, long time. I don't see the franchise letting up any time soon. As long as the talent making the games stays at Game Freak and there's money to be made in the franchise, more games will be getting pumped out. But, a lot of people have speculated that Generation 6 could potentially be the end of pokemon. Even if it is, Generation 6 might be come an 'endless' game, where from all of the possible content in-game and from DLC might give more players more of an incentive to play this game for a real, real long time. However, the purpose of this thread is to see, what do you think?

Do you think Generation 6 might be the last pokemon generation, or do you feel that pokemon can continue to 'evolve'? Why or why not? How would you react if this was indeed the last generation?

Last edited:

Guy

just a guy
Years
The number of times I hear people speculating, "This might be the last generation of Pokémon, you guys!" is probably equivalent to the number of those who shout, "These new Pokémon suck!" every time I new generation of Pokémon is announced. Although, the latter likely being more vocal about it.

Gen VI won't be the last generation of Pokémon just like Gen V wasn't and like how Gen VII most likely won't be either. So long as GameFreak is bringing in the revenue to keep going as a business and Pokémon remains one of the most top selling franchises, then they'll keep going. One could say the Pokémon might end up more and more ridiculous or that they're just using more of a creative flair in their designs, but they'll keep charging on nonetheless.

One of the treasures to Pokémon is that it has been around for so long and while it may not be as huge as it once was years back, it's still very much an iconic brand. Dedicated fans will stick around ─ even some who say, "These Pokémon suck!!" ─ and new fans will keep coming in.

So no, I don't see Gen VI being the last stand for Pokémon. But I'm willing to bet some people will think "Z" could be the last Pokémon game GameFreak ever makes, if they make it, because it's like the last letter in the alphabet or some crazy thing like that. :p

Years
  • Seen Sep 26, 2013
This surely isn't the end of the Pokémon games. As long as they are profitable everyone will keep buying them, they will keep making them. And for Nintendo it has always been a good way of introducing a new system.

ZetaZaku

AEUG Pilot
Years
It shouldn't be much of a problem to create a new game. It's not like the games follow one story. It's like Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy. It can be endless if they want it to be. The only issue would be the number of Pokemon. 649 isn't a big problem because of Wi-Fi ad Dream World, but imagine having to collect 1300 Pokemon. That would be hilarious. I just hope they don't cut the games and literally remove some old Pokemon from the new games.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Black and White was a relaunch, and certainly not a failed relaunch. Given the feedback/sales for both that and B2/W2 they'd be crazy to make X/Y the last games. Plus it said the Pokemon world is reaching newer areas than before or something along those lines, going back on their word would be mean!

Years
  • Seen Jun 30, 2013
The world is in constant change, there will always be some something who estimulate their imagination to create a new pokémon. Besides, they must have a lot of stories in beta-mode that can be used to create a new game.

They will only stop when they realized is not worthy to create a new game (aka when they realized the price to make a new game isn't worthy because the sells are declining).

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
Well gen 2 was meant to be the last generation but seeing the tank of a franchise they decided to go on and make RS and than DP, BW, and now XY. So As long as the franchise continues to be profitable I doubt it'll end anytime soon. So should all bow down to GSC for being so good (even those of us who began elsewhere) if not we might not be here talking about a 6th generation 4 generations after it was meant to end.

Years
  • Seen Apr 14, 2013
I've seen the "This could be the last generation!" thing since Gen 3. If Pokemon were ending, sales would probably reflect it. If X and Y flop, then they may end it, but seeing as how every Pokemon game is successful, I doubt that will be the case.

I also doubt DLC will be major in these games. We might get some small things, such as events and such, but I doubt they'll do something as big as adding whole regions or 100+ more Pokemon to the games. It'd probably be much more profitable for them to just keep making whole games instead of just releasing it all digitally.

Venitardus

Breeder
Years
  • Seen Apr 9, 2018
Sales would be the result of the pokemon series ending. So if X and Y sales are significantly lower than any other game, then yes this will be the last generation. and if it ended, i wouldn't be too sad because i've been expecting it to end since gen 2 or 3. but if they keep going they keep going

Guy

just a guy
Years
I wouldn't go as far as to say that should these games become a flop, that Pokémon would go out of business so soon. Pokémon has become a well established franchise for GameFreak and Nintendo that they'd be able to cut their losses on a pair of games and make up for it elsewhere ─ likely with a third and improved version or another pair of sequels. Otherwise, they'd probably want to push forward on either a remake to attract the older players or get moving on the 7th Gen to make back up the loss from X and Y and try and bring back the buyers they lost. One could say it might be the beginning of the end, but certainly not the end.

Although, it isn't totally absurd to say that the beginning of the end began in Gen I as not everything lasts forever and it would be bound to end at some point. I personally don't think that point is anywhere near though.

Gary0ak

TPP ROM Hacker
Years
My reaction if Pokemon X/Y Were the last games:

Anyways if Gen 6 was the End of Pokemon, I think they would remake every game in 3D, but I highly doubt Pokemon X/Y are the end.

Years
  • Seen Jun 30, 2013
Well, in my opinion, as long as the anime continue to satisfy the people, I think the sell will not have a big drop. I think (and say this because I already went through it) the anime gives the viewer the desire to have his own pokémon, build his own team. And I think that's one of the reasons why they still invest in the anime.

And about the story of the designer's creativity (although, no one mention that, so far): don't forget we are here (or most of us) since gen I. It's a little bit understandable that we are more demanding, somehow because we compare (wrongly, in my opinion) the generations, we (or some of us) forget that the times are different. For exemple, my cousin (7 years old) just started playing pokemon in BW2 (thanks to me ahahaha). Sometimes we saw me playing Pearl and Emerald, but, for him, gen V is like the gen I for us. This is almost an endless loop, but, yeah, I don't doubt it that some year (either near or far), pokemon will see the end of the road.

Last edited:

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Well, in my opinion, as long as the anime continue to satisfy the people, I think the sell will not have a big drop. I think (and say this because I already went through it) the anime gives the viewer the desire to have his own pokémon, build his own team. And I think that's one of the reasons why they still invest in the anime.

And about the story of the designer's creativity (although, no one mention that, so far): don't forget we are here (or most of us) since gen I. It's a little bit understandable that we are more demanding, somehow because we compare (wrongly, in my opinion) the generations, we (or some of us) forget that the times are different. For exemple, my cousin (7 years old) just start playing pokemon in BW2 (thanks to me ahahaha). Sometimes we saw me playing Pearl and Emerald, but, for him, gen V is like the gen I for us. This is almost an endless loop, but, yeah, I don't doubt it that some year (either near or far), pokemon will see the end of the road.

Yeah, that's a good point - just because the main-stream generation ends, wouldn't necessarily mean the pokemon franchise would be over. They can still invest in their anime, or possible spin-offs. Just sayin'~

Still, yeah, I agree that there is more potentials to be up ahead for the main-stream pokemon games~

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 21, 2021
I doubt the pokemon series will end any time soon.

I have to laugh any time people say it will be the last generation, it makes oodles of money for Nintendo....they're not going to cut off one of their cash cows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back