• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Gust

Truality

Left for good
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen May 17, 2013
A customized Fire Red [BPRE] ROM edit by Truality

Pokémon Gust

Farfetch'd approves.

I'm Truality, formerly known as a spriter called NiKaNoRoU. Here are some things that you might not want to know about me:

-I love fried chicken
-I love ROM Hacking
-My favorite part of this project is spriting
-My most boring part of this project is patching
-I only hack Fire Red, because I don't like RSE
-For the rest, I have this
Pokémon Gust is my fifth attempt of a hack. However, this isn't (hopefully) going to end like the previous hacks for two reasons: A. It is an average hack B. It has a demo.
Here's a brief synopsis of my hacks to date:
Bug Catcher's Life - Endless hiatus. Planning to make it someday for the Sideshow Showcase.
Revolution: Expansion - Gone with my old PC
Orihalcon - Same as above only I didn't tell anyone about it so no biggie for you.
Beryl - File got corrupted, both to my and Banjora's dissatisfaction.
Stellar Crimson - A major bug crashed the rom every time the main Hero went out of their house and couldn't find a solution to it. Darn.
At least I added a cool FAQ, like I did back in my first hacking threads.

Features:

+New plot, same old "Eight Gyms"
+New maps, same old tiles (for the most part)
+New scripts, same old main events
+New gameplay aspects, same old HMs
+New overworlds, same old Nurse Joy
+Three evil teams to counter, a region to save
+And 386 different ways to go for it
+The details are to be enjoyed, not said

Storyline:

You're a resident of Indigo Town, at the Nebuil Region. You recently turned 14 and it's about time you began your own Pokémon quest. Ain't you happy?

As if. Things do not turn out the way you expect. Your father, who is working at an excavation, hasn't returned from his last errand. You're out to look for him.

Still, you decide to catch two Magikarp with one hook; you go to the local Pokémon Lab to get a starter Pokémon. Why not be both training and trudging?

As if. Prof. Alastor, who is in charge for homemade-brownie-distribution (giving out starter Pokémon), is also missing. You're out too look for him (pun intended).

That's it for the storyline, read the FAQ if you want spice on the rice, or play an available release if you want something more than just spiced rice.

Bag_Electirizer_Sprite.png

Screenshots

Held outside spoilers, for your own good(?)

fxw3ux.png
2hxuji1.png
2pqurmu.png
23j4cqq.png
34o4qko.png
2qckzh4.png
2zpiiq0.png
2zzp7x1.png
212bvcy.png
2ykidxy.png
1ykap4.png
wwamtc.png

Frequently Asked Questions:

Q: Where can I find a good ROM to patch your file to?
A: Don't ask, don't tell

Q: I patched your file correctly, but it doesn't work...?

A1: It is a mystery
A2: It is a conspiracy
A3: Nintendo hates you

Q1: The game froze...why?

Q2: There some glitches/oddities happening...the heck?
A: Screenshot(s) or they didn't happen

Q: Why is the hack named 'Gust'?

A: 'cause it will blow you away

Q: I got stuck at a certain point of the game and can't move on. I'm really sure I searched everywhere but I can't find a way to go further. Help?

A1: You're blind
A2: End of release

Q: So, you didn't say what the starting Pokémon is. Which is it?

A: It is named "play the game", No 9001 in the Pokédex

Q: Which Legendary Pokémon is starring in Gust?

A1: It is named "Dwayne Johnson", and it's a Rock-type
A2: None is
A3: There is one, but it's not really "starring". It's just going to appear prior to others

Q: What do you mean by "386 different ways to go for it"?

A: Read "und" with your head upside down

Q: Oh I see. But why all 386 of them? (I wouldn't sit down to complete the pokedex anyway)

A: The logic is simple; the more you own, the more you own

Q: Is your last feature even a feature?

A: Yes, it features the fact that there are releases at the bottom of the post

Q: When is the next release going to, well, be released?

A: Who knows

Q: Why is your thread presentation so messed up?

A: It's set in order of importance. The least important stuff being said on the top

Q: Just how much more annoying can your answers get?

A: Keep asking questions

Q: Do you want help with this project?

A: Not really, no, unless you want to be a zombie-tester, a good reviewer or lazy enough to make a walkthrough/video of this hack

Credits:

The makers of the obvious tools that I used to make this [
A-Map, Hex Workshop, XSE, NSE, LIPS/A-Ptch, A-series - to be precise]
DavidJCobb/colcolstyles - helped me with some technical issues, both great in their job
Poképal10 - Earthquake variables [XSE] - I wanted him to be mentioned btw
Everyone who posted a bug - you have my thanks, my gratitude and a brofist through the screen
Banjora Marxville - compiling a list of bugs for the demo
NOD32 Antivirus - keeping me safe
Spherical Ice - keeping me motivated

Bag_Magmarizer_Sprite.png

Releases

DEMO [Get it here!]

Badges: 2/8

Available HMs: Cut

The patch includes:

-An .ips and an .aps file (use LIPS or A-Ptch accordingly)
-Text files with evolution changes, other changes, release notes and a troubleshooting file

Release Notes:

Spoiler:

Bugs:
Spoiler:

DEMO FAQ

Attachments

• PG Demo.rar
    126.4 KB · Views: 1,828
Last edited:
Years
Yes, everyone, straight to the showcase, because it meets the length requirements, and is of ample quality :)

Anyway, this looks really great dude. I expected nice graphics from you and though you're primarily using FR tiles, your additions fit in very nicely. ;) The screenshots look very promising, and it's nice to see that you seem to have a great story planned out, something I can't wait to see when I play through.

All in all, very nice work dude, keep it up! :P

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
Yes, I do want more than spiced rice since this looks cool, CJ. I haven't played it yet but I'm looking forward to doing so - I'll probably post something more substantial when the time comes pointing out all of the flaws that you have overlooked like the following:

Spoiler:

And with this post out of the way, I shall start downloading :P

Tcoppy

Favorite Stand
Years
I'm gonna download this right now, it looks amazing,no wonder it passed through the progressing hacks section, I hope you don't give up on this hack :)
By the way,theres a rock smash rock on the first route and Bosbo is running randomly O.o

Last edited:

Truality

Left for good
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen May 17, 2013
Yes, everyone, straight to the showcase, because it meets the length requirements, and is of ample quality :)

Anyway, this looks really great dude. I expected nice graphics from you and though you're primarily using FR tiles, your additions fit in very nicely. ;) The screenshots look very promising, and it's nice to see that you seem to have a great story planned out, something I can't wait to see when I play through.

All in all, very nice work dude, keep it up! :P
What additions? I only changed some palettes

The story is pretty hazy, you'll find out yourself. It's actually swaying you around so that you don't know exactly if the next event will be canon-like or something unexpected.

Thanks for the approval and the feedback!

This hack looks really nice. Everything seems interesting and neat.

I really <3 the new sprites, good job!

Gooood luck! :)
Thanks! I'm trying.

Yes, I do want more than spiced rice since this looks cool, CJ. I haven't played it yet but I'm looking forward to doing so - I'll probably post something more substantial when the time comes pointing out all of the flaws that you have overlooked like the following:

Spoiler:

And with this post out of the way, I shall start downloading :P
Spoiler:

Anyway, thanks a lot, looking forward to your review. Get' em Derry!

I'm gonna download this right now, it looks amazing,no wonder it passed through the progressing hacks section, I hope you don't give up on this hack :)
Thank you, I hope I won't give up on it as well.
By the way,theres a rock smash rock on the first route and Bosbo is running randomly O.o
Something wrong with that? (note that the Bosbos are a family not a single person)

As they say, me gust-a (oh puns, you so funny).

It looks quite well and I shall play it shortly after!
Just make sure you post your review before au-gust. (get it?)

Thanks! :)

marcc5m

what
Years
I looked for this in Progressing Hacks on Sunday and couldn't find it o_o
Didn't know you already had this much progress. Anyway, the storyline doesn't say too much about the hack, which in my eyes (or eye, considering old right's having a little trouble at the moment), is a good thing, because it lets the player discover the plot gradually as they progress.
Mapping seems decent, although that screenshot with the Team Stigma Grunt kinda bothers me for some reason, not sure why though.
Tiles I'm not going to comment on. It wouldn't be far considering hate FireRed tiles so there's no point.
Other than that, and this may seem harsh, but it just seems like a generic FireRed hack. What makes it stand out, exactly?
Anyway, I'm not going to play it yet until there's a more lengthier release, but I'll keep my eye on this one. Again, not my right eye. So yeah good luck and stuff, and hopefully this will turn out better than your other hacks. Oh and add Fakemon, you know you want to.

Also that Torkoal overworld is good can I use it please thanks

blue

gucci
Years
Based on what I saw I was hoping the Demo would be released soon but I was happy to see it's already here so I'll give this a try looks great btw!

ChaosJester083

Still alive
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Dec 3, 2019
I'm interested... How about I LP this after I finish my current one (Video not Mariomon). I was looking for another beta 1 game to try and get word out about.

Truality

Left for good
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen May 17, 2013
Farfetch'd approves? Then it must be EPIC! :D
Glad to see you back in bussiness :D
Thanks, Ash. :|

I looked for this in Progressing Hacks on Sunday and couldn't find it o_o
Yeah neither could I.
Didn't know you already had this much progress. Anyway, the storyline doesn't say too much about the hack, which in my eyes (or eye, considering old right's having a little trouble at the moment), is a good thing, because it lets the player discover the plot gradually as they progress.
There's no plot to be discovered in a two-gym demo. But you wouldn't care either way because you said you won't play it, right?
Mapping seems decent, although that screenshot with the Team Stigma Grunt kinda bothers me for some reason, not sure why though.
I was never a good mapper
Tiles I'm not going to comment on. It wouldn't be far considering hate FireRed tiles so there's no point.
Hater's gonna hate
Other than that, and this may seem harsh, but it just seems like a generic FireRed hack. What makes it stand out, exactly?
The hack name?
Anyway, I'm not going to play it yet until there's a more lengthier release, but I'll keep my eye on this one. Again, not my right eye. So yeah good luck and stuff, and hopefully this will turn out better than your other hacks.
Okay, I guess. Don't blame me for waiting too long, though.
Oh and add Fakemon, you know you want to.
No
Also that Torkoal overworld is good can I use it please thanks
Sure, go ahead.

Based on what I saw I was hoping the Demo would be released soon but I was happy to see it's already here so I'll give this a try looks great btw!
Thank you, I'm still looking for a review from someone who played the demo. :x

I'm interested... How about I LP this after I finish my current one (Video not Mariomon). I was looking for another beta 1 game to try and get word out about.
Uh, sure, whatever rides your horse.

hinkage

Everyone currently in an argument with this member
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 24, 2024
Wtf I am the MADDEST that you get to be here.

Anyway, there's tile errors in your last screenshot with the mountain, the one in the cave looks like an only slightly-changed Diglett's Cave, and tall grass is spammed almost everywhere.

But forget those, what exactly causes playing as the female to be so gamebreaking? What did you DO?! :P (It's like how Snakewood can't be played sped up.)

TCB

Tranquilo.
Years
I'm going to love this...reading that Q&A gave me a good chuckle.
The story is just just vauge enough for me to be interested in it, the tiles are crisp, and it looks like there's some good scripting...yup - this is an immediate download!

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
I'll do a walkthrough of this if you want (have no mic for a let's play) it'll be fun since i don't know how to do it ;3

M.L

Invisible
Years
  • Seen Dec 21, 2017
in the second town in bosbos house their are some movement permision errors by the warp thing as if you go on the side of it you walk behind it :>

Truality

Left for good
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen May 17, 2013
Sorry guys for the lack of updates. I just want you to know these:

• After a detailed playthrough, a few minor bugs were fixed
  • Mapping up to the alpha finish point is almost completed (it will include 5 gyms)
  • Just to clarify this to everyone: I will not use fakemon, non-3rd gen tilesets-like Wesley's-or anything, a battle tower, edit every graphic I come across, and request for userbars, so don't suggest these.
Also, I'm not very fond of screenshot updates. They seem to spoil the fun. I only added those in the first post for the requirements. So if you ever wonder about progress, expect other things.

---

Wtf I am the MADDEST that you get to be here.
Huh?

Anyway, there's tile errors in your last screenshot with the mountain, the one in the cave looks like an only slightly-changed Diglett's Cave, and tall grass is spammed almost everywhere.
I don't see any tile errors...as for the Arcane Tunnel screen, what did you expect? I used the same tileset.

But forget those, what exactly causes playing as the female to be so gamebreaking? What did you DO?! :P (It's like how Snakewood can't be played sped up.)
You want to find out? Don't.

I'm going to love this...reading that Q&A gave me a good chuckle.
The story is just just vauge enough for me to be interested in it, the tiles are crisp, and it looks like there's some good scripting...yup - this is an immediate download!
The tiles aren't modified yet, so I assume you're referring to the palette changes...?

Hope to hear from you again, with a review this time. D;

I'll do a walkthrough of this if you want (have no mic for a let's play) it'll be fun since i don't know how to do it ;3
Why not? I'd love to see it!

in the second town in bosbos house their are some movement permision errors by the warp thing as if you go on the side of it you walk behind it :>
Thank you very much, that is now fixed.

Years
  • Seen Nov 24, 2011
Hm... The hack looks good, not bad, only thing is I do not like the tiles, you should change Do not you think?
Finally, regarding Scripting (events), do not doubt that bad fence, I just like to see some video or GYF;)

Salu2! n_n

Years
Hey CJ, sorry for not testing this for you. I do, however, come bearing a bug report:

- In the player's room, a tile is missing from the top of the TV.
- I find it a bit odd to be given a Super Potion at the very start of the game, but okay.
- The wall in the player's room seems pointless.
- If your Mum is worried about Dad, and she thinks he's been gone for too long, how can she be sure he's where he is, and why would she tell him goodbye? Surely she'd want to say "come home" or something?
- A pet Torkoal is a bit weird...but epic overworld, like Fireworks said.
- It is refreshing to see new overworlds (for the player, Chloe, etc.), so kudos there.
- Indigo Town's path's palette clashes with the grass (which looked better as it was, imo).
- Incidentally, I think that Indigo Town could be a lot smaller and still be better. There are some parts with nothing to see and just empty space, really.
- In the Terens "Dont go past" script, in the Aide in the bottom right corner of the lab's script, and in the talk-to-PROF. ROY-script, it's sometimes written as PROF.ROY/PROF.ALASTOR, without a space, and sometimes says PROF. ALASTOR/PROF. ROY, with a space.
- In the talk-to-PROF. ROY-for-the-first-time-script, the line "Something must have happened on that place" should say "Something must have happened there" or "at that place".
- Nice reference (I assume it was intentional) to the LoZ line "It's dangerous to go alone". :D
- Books should be impassable, otherwise it makes the player exceptionally rude. ;)
- The man talking about shady characters seems to have two pieces of unrelated dialogue strung together for no reason...
- RIVAL's house's door has a tile error above it's door.
- RIVAL's Mum's dialogue doesn't need the "though" word at the end.
- RIVAL, RIVAL's Mum and RIVAL's DAD all sleep in one bed? o.O There's only one bed, and no upstairs...
- INDIGO TOWN's signpost really makes no sense. It's just some random words slapped together.
- Incidentally, indigo is a blue colour, not purple, which seems to be the theme of the town.
-Saying odd man for Ignus is really kinda cheap. :/ Also, he has some crazy hair (how much gel does he use?!).
- Why would Ignus want to give away Pokéballs? It almost seems like they're a burden to him...which is odd, considering he's a seemingly eager trainer.
- He seems to say "..." a lot...
- Wait...where did Oak come from in this battle?
- What's with all the formal, uptight (and even medieval) dialogue? Try to slip in some more abbreviations (I'll instead of I will) and who even says "I fare thee well" anymore?
- The first trainer tips signpost needs the dash thing (é) in the word "Pokémon".
- Why is that Brendan-looking dude running to and fro for no apparent reason?
- The salesman says "with a branch mart in". That's incorrect, it should be "we have a branch in".
- Red rocks?
- Just like Indigo Town, it seems Bandreach City has a similarly non-sensical signpost.
- Bosbo needs to have an opening speech mark (["] in XSE) in his complaint.
- All the houses in Bandreach, like Rival's house in Indigo Town, need the correct tile above their doors.
- What's with the purple PCs?
- Considering Alex has just built the PC, shouldn't it say Alex's PC upon loading?
- Bosbo's house has walkable tiles which should be impassable (below the exit).
- The forth Sigma grunt says "I just saw one of us run like nuts past me." It should read: "I just saw another Team Sigma member run past me." The "like nuts" part doesn't fit in this context.
- I recommend including a dirt path (the brown one) in the Excavation Site.
- Definately is a misspelling. It should be definitely.
- Why does the music suddenly stop when Thexes arrives?
- When we arrive home, I think a level script should occur in order for you to receive the Running Shoes.
- The classifications like "Tiny Turtle" should be capitalised and be preceded by the word "the".
- Why does Terens face down to talk to me?

I've stopped playing up to this point. Most of the things I've reported are just nitpicks, so good job so far.

Truality

Left for good
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen May 17, 2013
Hm... The hack looks good, not bad, only thing is I do not like the tiles, you should change Do not you think?
Finally, regarding Scripting (events), do not doubt that bad fence, I just like to see some video or GYF;)

Salu2! n_n
Thank you, I'm planning to change a few tiles in the future. I don't get what you mean about the scripting, though, sorry.

Hey CJ, sorry for not testing this for you. I do, however, come bearing a bug report:

- In the player's room, a tile is missing from the top of the TV. [fixed]
- I find it a bit odd to be given a Super Potion at the very start of the game, but okay. [I call it 'strong initiative for those who look at their PC at home']
- The wall in the player's room seems pointless. [saves a lot of space for me, works as designed]
- If your Mum is worried about Dad, and she thinks he's been gone for too long, how can she be sure he's where he is, and why would she tell him goodbye? Surely she'd want to say "come home" or something? [She is just worried of him not coming back to pay farewell to you in time. So you go instead]
- A pet Torkoal is a bit weird...but epic overworld, like Fireworks said. [Gonna give it a NOFACE message because the side OWs are weird]
- It is refreshing to see new overworlds (for the player, Chloe, etc.), so kudos there. [Thaaanks!]
- Indigo Town's path's palette clashes with the grass (which looked better as it was, imo). [I don't get it :/]
- Incidentally, I think that Indigo Town could be a lot smaller and still be better. There are some parts with nothing to see and just empty space, really. [I have some problems with the map connections that could only be resolved with enlarging the town itself, so yeah]
- In the Terens "Dont go past" script, in the Aide in the bottom right corner of the lab's script, and in the talk-to-PROF. ROY-script, it's sometimes written as PROF.ROY/PROF.ALASTOR, without a space, and sometimes says PROF. ALASTOR/PROF. ROY, with a space. [I suppose it's always without the the space. Fixed, thank you]
- In the talk-to-PROF. ROY-for-the-first-time-script, the line "Something must have happened on that place" should say "Something must have happened there" or "at that place". [changed 'on' to 'at', thanks]
- Nice reference (I assume it was intentional) to the LoZ line "It's dangerous to go alone". :D [keen eye you have, sir]
- Books should be impassable, otherwise it makes the player exceptionally rude. ;) [Oops I forgot that XD - fixed]
- The man talking about shady characters seems to have two pieces of unrelated dialogue strung together for no reason... [I don't get what you mean]
- RIVAL's house's door has a tile error above it's door. [not a tile error, it's just the local roof tiles missing the door line]
- RIVAL's Mum's dialogue doesn't need the "though" word at the end. [mm, fixed]
- RIVAL, RIVAL's Mum and RIVAL's DAD all sleep in one bed? o.O There's only one bed, and no upstairs... [Bear with it bro. At least they do]
- INDIGO TOWN's signpost really makes no sense. It's just some random words slapped together. [Oh you're going to get used to it on every town]
- Incidentally, indigo is a blue colour, not purple, which seems to be the theme of the town. [Gah, I always thought it was a shade of purple. Oh well, I like the name, too late...]
-Saying odd man for Ignus is really kinda cheap. :/ Also, he has some crazy hair (how much gel does he use?!). [His hair is the reason why he's odd, mm?]
- Why would Ignus want to give away Pokéballs? It almost seems like they're a burden to him...which is odd, considering he's a seemingly eager trainer. [No questioning the unquestionable, just accept them with love]
- He seems to say "..." a lot... [So do I]
- Wait...where did Oak come from in this battle? [It's the tutorial battle. I'm planning to change it to Ignus talking]
- What's with all the formal, uptight (and even medieval) dialogue? Try to slip in some more abbreviations (I'll instead of I will) and who even says "I fare thee well" anymore? [That's Ignus for you. You'll figure out later why, I assure you]
- The first trainer tips signpost needs the dash thing (é) in the word "Pokémon". [fixed! thanks again]
- Why is that Brendan-looking dude running to and fro for no apparent reason? [He's a bosbo. OW under construction]
- The salesman says "with a branch mart in". That's incorrect, it should be "we have a branch in". [fixed, too]
- Red rocks? [Red will rock your socks]
- Just like Indigo Town, it seems Bandreach City has a similarly non-sensical signpost. [Get used to it :( ]
- Bosbo needs to have an opening speech mark (["] in XSE) in his complaint. [I'll fix that]
- All the houses in Bandreach, like Rival's house in Indigo Town, need the correct tile above their doors. [Same case like the other one, there's just no door line on the tileset itself]
- What's with the purple PCs? [red PCs, too mainstream]
- Considering Alex has just built the PC, shouldn't it say Alex's PC upon loading? [It will, after you meet him later on, but wait, it'll say BILL's instead. Yeah, I didn't hex edit that]
- Bosbo's house has walkable tiles which should be impassable (below the exit). [Reported and fixed already]
- The forth Sigma grunt says "I just saw one of us run like nuts past me." It should read: "I just saw another Team Sigma member run past me." The "like nuts" part doesn't fit in this context. [I just love that phrase, so...]
- I recommend including a dirt path (the brown one) in the Excavation Site. [Hmm...maybe]
- Definately is a misspelling. It should be definitely. [My bad]
- Why does the music suddenly stop when Thexes arrives? [Intentionally, you know, the boss-appearing sequence?]
- When we arrive home, I think a level script should occur in order for you to receive the Running Shoes. [They are not obligatory, so no]
- The classifications like "Tiny Turtle" should be capitalised and be preceded by the word "the". [will scramble the textbox if I change it now]
- Why does Terens face down to talk to me? [He's more like talking to you in a decisive way, than a direct one]

I've stopped playing up to this point. Most of the things I've reported are just nitpicks, so good job so far. [Ty-once again! ;d]
Thank you thank you thank you! I tried my best to answer on each of them with a bold sentence on your own quote! highly appreciate it, Haroun.

Back