• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen HG/SS vs. G/S

How well did HG/SS represent G/S?

• HG/SS was a good mix of new and old

Votes: 13 92.9%
  • HG/SS needs to have more newer features

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • HG/SS needs to have more older features

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters

Deceit

Toxic.
Years
"We are remaking an old game, but this is quite a challenge. Old fans would not want us to mess with their good memories... but there is no point in just redoing the same thing, right? We are working towards something that brings back memories, yet is also completely new! "

These words were said by the president of GameFreak in HG and SS (Celadon Condominiums). Based on what he said, I ask you this:

How well do you think the remakes HeartGold and SoulSilver represent the originals, Gold and Silver?
-Do you think they should have made the remakes more similar to the originals? Or do you think they should have more new features and such.
-Is there something you wanted that was in the originals, but not in the remake? Or was there something new you wanted them to add, but didn't.

For me, I would say it had some cool new features and buildings, while also keeping parts that made it recognizable when compared to the originals. Overall, I feel it was a good mix of new and old.

Anyways, Discuss.

Rainbow Arcanine

now known as aslan
Years
Heartgold and Soulsilver were brilliant remakes, that brought nostalgia for the old Pokemon fans along with neat, little features of their own. I would agree with you there, being a great mix of new and old, some of the brand new features being Pokemon could now tag behind you, making a stronger bond and the old features like the classic Pokegear where you would get constant calls from Youngster Joey either ranting about his top percentage Rattata or asking for a rematch.

I also loved how they kept the ability to explore Kanto, it made it a special game as no other ones allowed you to explore two regions. They represented the originals well, with all the old features back, a similar if not almost same storyline and then added new twists, so old and new fans could enjoy it. But to sum it all up HG/SS was a good mix of new and old features.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
I like HeartGold and SoulSilver. From Pokeathlon (I don't enter it yet), walking Pokemon (my favorite feature since Yellow), having my very own personalized Safari Zone, to exploring two regions, keeping the storyline almost intact (with addition of Crystal plot), I think HGSS are the good mix of old and new.

Last edited:

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
HGSS were brilliant remakes of the original series and I think they did GSC more than justice. The added features, the improved graphics and gameplay as well as the preservation of the nostalgia factor old fans had for the Johto region more than topped the originals.

pikakitten

You met with a terrible fate
Years
I think it didn't mess with anything too much as too hurt the nostalgia but still managed to add on to the games and make them that much more amazing, new features, slightly altered storyline but still.the same G/S love xD

Years
I think that the remakes were done really well, as they felt both familiar yet different at the same time. The familiarity of the old games is what brought people to the remakes in the first place, but things like the Safari Zone, Pokeathlon and Battle Frontier which weren't present in the originals really boosted overall playing value.

Years
HeartGold and SoulSilver were the pinnacle of Pokemon games in my opinion until Black 2 White 2 came out. They were excellent remakes that far surpassed the originals.

Years
HeartGold and SoulSilver basically got everything right, they covered the nostalgic purposes first seen in Gold, Silver and Crystal by having the GB Sounds which can turn the music into 8-bit tunes heard in the originals.

Also, the new features added, like Pokeathlon and the Battle Frontier made it friendly for newer players of Pokemon as well. They also improved on the G/S storyline by adding elements from Crystal in, such as Eusine appearing. The new Safari Zone was a bit fiddly to navigate though.

BEST REMAKES EVER.

Back