• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Speech bubble message system v0.6

carmaniac

Where the pickle surprise at?
Years
Can everyone please update to the latest version as there were some slight issues with the previous one, thank you.

Mortalis

[css-div="background-color:#4e9dda;text-align:cent
Years
carmaniac, you are a beautiful person. Thanks for this!

Quick question: Is it possible to force the message box to the bottom of the screen? During my game's opening event, the player is facing NPCs who are at the top of the screen while the player is at the bottom, yet the message box is covering them when they talk. When I use value 1 for the first input [ pbCallBub (1, eventid) ], it goes off the screen and can't be read.

Last edited:

carmaniac

Years
My bad, forgot about when events are at the top of the screen with the player being at the bottom facing up XD. I'll have that fixed once I'm home.

oldsnake90

Creator Pokemon Glacial Freeze
Years
i put it in the game but its not working. It works if i have the old Pokemonmessages script from your last update. but it wont now. :\ idk if i did something wrong

Years
  • Seen Nov 12, 2023
i put it in the game but its not working. It works if i have the old Pokemonmessages script from your last update. but it wont now. :\ idk if i did something wrong

you must chance a few scripts too :)
at the first post is one link to the wikia, there are a introduction for it :)

and in the new scriot in the .txt (in the comments) is a introduction too :D

That System is very nice :D

Rayd12smitty

Shadow Maker
Years
  • Seen Feb 21, 2016
Alright Carmaniac. This is awesome. I will definitely use and credit. I think I have a bug or two though. I'm pretty sure one was reported, but I have screens.

Spoiler:

If it isn't obvious, in the first one, the arrow thing leading to the bubble isn't long enough/too long? Anyway it goes off the screen. In the second one (I think it was reported before) The bubble covers the sprite who is talking. It should go down.

Anyway, awesome script. I hope you have time to fix these few bugs

Mortalis

[css-div="background-color:#4e9dda;text-align:cent
Years
Alright Carmaniac. This is awesome. I will definitely use and credit. I think I have a bug or two though. I'm pretty sure one was reported, but I have screens.

Spoiler:

If it isn't obvious, in the first one, the arrow thing leading to the bubble isn't long enough/too long? Anyway it goes off the screen. In the second one (I think it was reported before) The bubble covers the sprite who is talking. It should go down.

Anyway, awesome script. I hope you have time to fix these few bugs

The problem with the second image is that the script usually calls itself nearest to the event to make the line shorter so it's not always blocking other things in the environment and such. At least that's how it's worked out for me every time I've used it.

I believe carmaniac said he was going to fix it soon, but for now the only solution is to switch around the events so that your player is facing downward at the event. That, or you can use scroll map to center on the event so this problem doesn't occur. The scroll map looks natural any ways if you put it at the start of the event, but you might be able to place it somewhere else.

For now you'll just have to find a quick fix for it before carmaniac releases the new version.

Years
  • Seen Jul 17, 2015
Im getting this error...
Im using Essential 12.1
---------------------------
Pokemon Essentials
Exception: NameError
Message: uninitialized constant MessageConfig::BUBBLETEXTBASE
PokemonMessages:1195:in `getSkinColor'
PokemonMessages:1420:in `pbMessageDisplay'
PokemonMessages:1031:in `pbMessage'
PokemonMessages:675:in `command_101'
Interpreter:304:in `execute_command'
Interpreter:193:in `update'
Interpreter:106:in `loop'
Interpreter:198:in `update'
Scene_Map:103:in `update'
Scene_Map:101:in `loop'

carmaniac

Years
Im getting this error...
Im using Essential 12.1
Pokemon Essentials
Exception: NameError
Message: uninitialized constant MessageConfig::BUBBLETEXTBASE
PokemonMessages:1195:in `getSkinColor'
PokemonMessages:1420:in `pbMessageDisplay'
PokemonMessages:1031:in `pbMessage'
PokemonMessages:675:in `command_101'
Interpreter:304:in `execute_command'
Interpreter:193:in `update'
Interpreter:106:in `loop'
Interpreter:198:in `update'
Scene_Map:103:in `update'
Scene_Map:101:in `loop'

My guess is you completely ignored the first part of the tutorial to install this.
http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Tutorial:Speech_bubbles

Wootius

Glah
Years
  • Seen May 31, 2022
I love this, such a simple thing makes NPC so much more interactive. Thanks for sharing it.

I have a problem though. Setting "2" works as intended, but setting "1" throws the text bubble offscreen.
Spoiler:

carmaniac

Years
Any updates on this carmaniac?

In all honesty I forgot I even released this system. I'll likely update the system when V13 of essentials is released to save time on updating it for two versions. Will mainly be bug fixes and a change in the call method to be shorter than what it already is to use just normal commands within messages.

Dylanrockin

That guy
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 9, 2016
I was just wondering how you would use this for your player character. Would it still just be \PN? Or is it some kind of number that I am not seeing.

Years
  • Seen Oct 18, 2017
I was just wondering how you would use this for your player character. Would it still just be \PN? Or is it some kind of number that I am not seeing.

I know in RPG Maker VX Ace, when referring to the player as an Event ID, you use either 0/-1, try that.

TheWanap

Developing: Pokemon: Cursed Time
Years
Speech Bubbles script (by Carmaniac) help?

So, I downloaded Carmaniac's Pokemon Essentials Speech Bubbles script (http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Tutorial:Speech_bubbles), and installed it.
It works fine, but I wanted to make that more personal, so I edited it a bit.
I think this is very easy to solve with changing some things in the script, but I don't know how to do that.

This is what I did:

(the original Windowskin looks like this:
Spoiler:

I edited that "frlgtextskin" Windowsskin, like this:
Spoiler:

So I took some useless space out of it, and it still works fine - almost. I took a picture of it when you play it and it looks like this:
Spoiler:

So that arrow doesn't reach that text box (or Windowskin). I tried to move that arrow down (with photoshop), but the same problem exist.
There might be an priority with that Windowskin, so how could I fix it?

Here is the script:
Spoiler:

Thanks for help beforehand.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Mar 17, 2015
So, I downloaded Carmaniac's Pokemon Essentials Speech Bubbles script (http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Tutorial:Speech_bubbles), and installed it.
It works fine, but I wanted to make that more personal, so I edited it a bit.
I think this is very easy to solve with changing some things in the script, but I don't know how to do that.

This is what I did:

(the original Windowskin looks like this:
Spoiler:

I edited that "frlgtextskin" Windowsskin, like this:
Spoiler:

So I took some useless space out of it, and it still works fine - almost. I took a picture of it when you play it and it looks like this:
Spoiler:

So that arrow doesn't reach that text box (or Windowskin). I tried to move that arrow down (with photoshop), but the same problem exist.
There might be an priority with that Windowskin, so how could I fix it?

Here is the script:
Spoiler:

Thanks for help beforehand.

ahm you could make the windowskin a bit larger
(the simplest way to do this)

Back