• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Civilization IV Beyond the Sword - The Misadventures of Donavannj!

Years
Well I'm still not in tune with how other civs act so yeah maybe those 2 civs might have been good people to do open borders with. Hmm...

That aside be ready 4 war. :B

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
Years
The fact that all your cities aren't connected is making me want to take over your file and do that. Like I'll build roads to things before I actually build the improvements, because it's logical man - which is one of my problems with Civ V; roads aren't something you get right away.

And your play-style is quite... passive, as you said. Early in the game I usually focus on science and building cities near important resources and then building my military as I begin meeting new rivals. I also usually have cultural **** going in the background at all times - having half of another nation's cities overthrow their evil masters and join your empire is an awesome feeling.

Also you should use a lot of spies, they're cool guys.

Years
Replies:

Well I'm still not in tune with how other civs act so yeah maybe those 2 civs might have been good people to do open borders with. Hmm...

That aside be ready 4 war. :B

I've had supposedly benign Civs run through my lands and pillage all my improvements before in 4, so I'm usually quite wary of Open Borders.

Never am, I'm afraid. :x

The fact that all your cities aren't connected is making me want to take over your file and do that. Like I'll build roads to things before I actually build the improvements, because it's logical man - which is one of my problems with Civ V; roads aren't something you get right away.

And your play-style is quite... passive, as you said. Early in the game I usually focus on science and building cities near important resources and then building my military as I begin meeting new rivals. I also usually have cultural **** going in the background at all times - having half of another nation's cities overthrow their evil masters and join your empire is an awesome feeling.

Also you should use a lot of spies, they're cool guys.

Well, there's the whole maintenance cost issue, and the trade bonus usually isn't enough to negate that, from my experience. I also build the improvements first in most cases so that the city can take advantage of the bonuses from the improvements that extra two turns (which is the amount of time it takes to build a road). And what would be logical in our realm doesn't quite transfer to the realm of Civ.

I usually get war declared on me for building cities near important resources, and I usually am unprepared for war if I am declared on, even though I have a tech advantage, because I have to pump my funds into technology to keep pace because the computer civs seem to have access to mysterious sources of gold that I don't. And culture is usually a background thing for me, since you have to have cities producing it at the border in order to avoid being overwhelmed by your neighbor's cultural influence. I rarely have cultural takeovers on Warlord, whereas I had them in abundance at the Chieftain difficulty.

They're expensive to maintain, though. Especially to get enough Espionage points to spend. :\

Game 1 Update 9: Bandwidth Killer

I have compiled a massive update and have now made this first page of the thread a bandwidth killer.

Spoiler:

Years
I played some more on my shadow game....
880 AD, Saladin is now...
Spoiler:

Last edited:

Yuoaman

Years
The best Civilization game in the series IMO.

I've got the fifth installment but I've yet to play it D;

I have, it's a decent game but doesn't feel quite right when compared with past games in the series. It also plays a hell of a lot slower than IV ever did, like crazily slow. You won't be able to build roads until like half an hour in at earliest, and your second city won't be built for like forty-five minutes. It's crazy stuff, man.

Though I do like the use of ancient ruins instead of goodie huts - you can't disturb angry villagers now.

blue

gucci
Years
Yeah, it sounds quite slow I'll give it a try considering I got it for my birthday but I think I'm going to stick with BTS.

Years
I borrowed Civ V from a friend who got it a few months ago, I wasn't too impressed either and sticked with Civ IV. Once that gets boring I might try out V again, maybe. Should be better than the original release was by then, I hope.

Yuoaman

Years
I borrowed Civ V from a friend who got it a few months ago, I wasn't too impressed either and sticked with Civ IV. Once that gets boring I might try out V again, maybe. Should be better than the original release was by then, I hope.

Yeah, Civ IV is definitely going to remain the better game, at least until some expansions and **** are relased for V.

Years
I played some more on my shadow game....
880 AD, Saladin is now...
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Ugh if my Netbook didn't hang all the time I'd probably play a shadow game too. :/

Still building lots of city is good no?

Sucks for you.

Yeah, though the maintenance costs can kill ya if you expand too fast. :x

The best Civilization game in the series IMO.

I've got the fifth installment but I've yet to play it D;

I tried the demo, and though I quite liked it, I don't wanna go out and actually buy a video card for my system quite yet so that I can play it.

I have, it's a decent game but doesn't feel quite right when compared with past games in the series. It also plays a hell of a lot slower than IV ever did, like crazily slow. You won't be able to build roads until like half an hour in at earliest, and your second city won't be built for like forty-five minutes. It's crazy stuff, man.

Though I do like the use of ancient ruins instead of goodie huts - you can't disturb angry villagers now.

It reminds me more of 3 than of any other past game from the series in terms of feel and game pace. It's also quite a bit more of a resource hog, so that time delay could just be your system taking longer to process the game than it takes with 4?

I like the addition of city-states and the return of barbarians to little villages like they had in 3. Though I would like to see some different tribes of barbarians and them eventually being able to have their own "civilization" of sorts and evolving into another entity to interact with.

Yeah, it sounds quite slow I'll give it a try considering I got it for my birthday but I think I'm going to stick with BTS.

Some of that could be your system as well. The graphics are intense when compared to Civ IV.

I actually liked the removal of religions from the game. It was too necessary a win condition in IV.

Yeah, Civ IV is definitely going to remain the better game, at least until some expansions and **** are relased for V.

Some of IV's mechanics bug me, though.

----------------------------------------------------

No update tonight. Busy with homework and such, so I don't wanna expend the effort to post one. I'll see about getting one up on Monday.

EDIT: Got bored of that, so quick update:

Game 1 Update 10:

Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
Get some Open Borders already, it does no harm unless that person is someone's worst enemy. Even then, friends are not a bad thing. The Khan and Napoleon are the only two other jewish nations, befriend them. Bribing Napoleon into war with someone else after opening borders should be worth it, it will keep him busy. That would certainly be expensive and risks one AI defeating another and becoming a superpower, but buying time is worth it. If you see either Napoleon or his victim (this would require you opening borders with said victim, so it's unlikely) going down, quickly build some troops, join the war and grab at least some of the cities. A long stalemate in an AI war, like the Portugal vs Mongolia in my game is favorable as well, it utterly ruins the involved civs tech positions.

Years
Get some Open Borders already, it does no harm unless that person is someone's worst enemy. Even then, friends are not a bad thing. The Khan and Napoleon are the only two other jewish nations, befriend them. Bribing Napoleon into war with someone else after opening borders should be worth it, it will keep him busy. That would certainly be expensive and risks one AI defeating another and becoming a superpower, but buying time is worth it. If you see either Napoleon or his victim (this would require you opening borders with said victim, so it's unlikely) going down, quickly build some troops, join the war and grab at least some of the cities. A long stalemate in an AI war, like the Portugal vs Mongolia in my game is favorable as well, it utterly ruins the involved civs tech positions.

Yeah, I didn't act quickly enough to distract Napoleon. I've had two wars so far with him, and have been lucky to survive so far. ;( (you won't see the final results of the first war until next update or the update after, though)

Playing it now (:

CivilizationIVBTS1.jpg

o_o;; Chariots, Pikemen, Longbowmen, and Swordsmen while researching Fission?! Upgrade those units! It's a wonder you're still alive (unless you're playing on Settler or Chieftain for your difficulty)!

@ Suicune: I find it funny how in the Historical context your researching Fission while using Chariots. xD

@Don: Convert teh heathens!

Teh heathens will be hard to convert. :(

Yeah, I know that was just before I got war declared on by 3 AI's. I've got Musketmen & Rifflemen now ^^

If you can research Fission, you should totally have the technology for infantry and tanks right now. :\

--------------------------------------------

Updating because I don't want to do my homework.

Game 1 Update 11: No Offense, but I Hate You.

Spoiler:

Years
"You founded Christianity" 8D!
You should try and get some video entries going if you can!

Keep it up!​

But videos take effort. ;;

----------------------------

Updating since I'm up so late anyways.

Game 1 Update 12: Holding Our Ground! Kinda.

Spoiler:

Years
In [whatever political system you are using right now, probably tsarist] Russia, France invades you! Sorry, couldn't resist these two overused jokes.

You're playing with combat animations on? I only did that in, like, my first two games ever, couldn't stand them.

By the way, why are you building a monastery in Rostov? I prefer ruining the economy in a victorious total war over losing cities while building infrastructure. Also, build some Horse Archers already, Napoleon might have Spears but except in the cities you can just run away from them and leave them to the supporting axes. Reclaim Novgorod and then take Paris - or raze it as it's one tile off the nearby river, in my shadow game I only kept it because it had the Pyramids in it.

EDIT: And then I realized I forgot once again you actually already played more than you posted. But at least it's what I probably would have done at that point.

Last edited:
Years
In [whatever political system you are using right now, probably tsarist] Russia, France invades you! Sorry, couldn't resist these two overused jokes.

You're playing with combat animations on? I only did that in, like, my first two games ever, couldn't stand them.

By the way, why are you building a monastery in Rostov? I prefer ruining the economy in a victorious total war over losing cities while building infrastructure. Also, build some Horse Archers already, Napoleon might have Spears but except in the cities you can just run away from them and leave them to the supporting axes. Reclaim Novgorod and then take Paris - or raze it as it's one tile off the nearby river, in my shadow game I only kept it because it had the Pyramids in it.

EDIT: And then I realized I forgot once again you actually already played more than you posted. But at least it's what I probably would have done at that point.

Yeah, I kinda am way ahead. Last I played was last weekend, though, so I've been working on getting this caught up. *goes to check last screenshot* When I finally get this caught up, it will be at turn 227.

Also, 15 turns is way too long for a military unit.

-------------------------------------------

So here's an update. It's a pretty big one at 20 images.

Game 1 Update 13:

Spoiler:

You see why the subtitle contains misadventures now? ;)

Back