• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Protagonist & Rival relationship.

Years
I see future shippings of the female protag with this rival for some reason. Honestly, I SUPPORT IT.

....because it's going to happen anyway? =P

Anywho. I'm liking the idea of "childhood friend who went down the wrong path" idea. Who knows, maybe he'll STAY that way. That would certainly be different for once.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
Years
  • Age 8
  • +
  • Seen Sep 15, 2020
^ This is true. Besides, it's better than having two lost rivals who don't know what they're aiming for in the Pokémon world very well. :(

But if you think about it, somehow GameFreak is going to want to implement a lesson learned in the games. If the rival remains going down the wrong path, it's a bad example. But if going down the wrong path helps the rivalry between the protagonist epic enough, I'm all for it. As long as the rival stays clever and charming. ...Somehow.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 11, 2022
I have to admit, he's on of my favorite rivals ever, based on design alone. If he IS one of those "going down the wrong path and you must stop him" type of characters, I'm going to be ticked. I don't want to play a Naruto/Pokemon crossover, with your rival being Sasuke and you being Naruto. I want to play a Pokemon game. It'd be great if he WERE a little more advanced, and a bit more mature. But something tells me he'll be the same generic rival who does care about you, but also has a high sense of himself at all times.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
^ This is true. Besides, it's better than having two lost rivals who don't know what they're aiming for in the Pokémon world very well. :(

But if you think about it, somehow GameFreak is going to want to implement a lesson learned in the games. If the rival remains going down the wrong path, it's a bad example. But if going down the wrong path helps the rivalry between the protagonist epic enough, I'm all for it. As long as the rival stays clever and charming. ...Somehow.

Well I don't have an issue with him going the wrong path the whole way, since it would make for a nice twist - maybe he could be an undercover bad guy sorta, and be like swayed that way when growing up and eventually end up suffering at the hands of your protagonist. Good twist imo.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
Years
  • Age 8
  • +
  • Seen Sep 15, 2020
I think it would be good if at the end, he would want to make a difference but not yet do so. That way we can conclude he'll change, but not exactly. It makes a good closure for both the protagonist and the rival, so they can still remain great friends even through it all, without him having to imply that he has changed already for the good.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I think it would be good if at the end, he would want to make a difference but not yet do so. That way we can conclude he'll change, but not exactly. It makes a good closure for both the protagonist and the rival, so they can still remain great friends even through it all, without him having to imply that he has changed already for the good.

So as kinda being like "not going to listen to you, protag" then see him hugging a Minccino or something? <-- that of course being the kind of thing he'd do, like a badass but good guy at heart? Possibly that could work, but reminds me a lot of other games. :(

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
I have a feeling that he'll be more like Blue than Silver (partially due to being a childhood friend too). He might have a mix of Barry and throws temper tantrum's when annoyed.

Turn-it

Coordinator/Elite Trainer
Years
  • Seen Dec 4, 2012
I think the rival and protagonist might have grown up together. As far as the rival's personality, I think he's going to come off ass arrogant, cool, laid back, but awesome all in one.

Years
  • Seen Jan 13, 2013
I think rival will be arrogant but only for strangers, I guess he'll be treating protagonist as his ally in fighting with others.

Anywho. I'm liking the idea of "childhood friend who went down the wrong path" idea. Who knows, maybe he'll STAY that way. That would certainly be different for once.

I thought it would be nice to make it depending on player's choices during storyline. There should be finally nonlinear storyline in Pokemon game. B/W was nonlinear in very small part (depending on your answer to N's question about having any dreams, his last speech varies), so I hope B2/W2 storyline will give player choices which would have serious impact on next events.

Years
I have no idea what the relationship between the player and rival will be- perhaps I would if I could understand Japanese, haha. I believe there's a clip in the trailer of the Rival talking with what looks like the new opposing 'Team' to me- if we could understand what he was saying perhaps that might give insight on what kind of character he'll be? Although I'll admit that's a long shot.

I'm not too pushed on what kind of Rival he'll be- someone above suggested a 'good boy who went down the wrong path, but stays that way' would be an interesting deviation from the norm, but I really don't mind.

CloudNine

Banned
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Oct 23, 2014
yeah I was going to say, he kind of reminds me of rival Blue. Which is cool

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
Years
  • Age 8
  • +
  • Seen Sep 15, 2020
You know, I actually see the rival being more strong minded than arrogant. But if the protagonist and him are childhood friends and he does turn out to be pretty rude and whatnot, I wonder what the relationship will be like (to where it will still make the ending between the two, interesting). Because it's hard to tell judging by his design.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 11, 2022
You know, I actually see the rival being more strong minded than arrogant. But if the protagonist and him are childhood friends and he does turn out to be pretty rude and whatnot, I wonder what the relationship will be like (to where it will still make the ending between the two, interesting). Because it's hard to tell judging by his design.

I think it'd be more like a Gary vs Ash if that were the case. Basing this off of design alone, he seems like he would be a sweetheart. Basing this off of fandom world-wide, he seems like a headstrong kid who tries to better himself without knowing which path, good or evil, can help him do that, so he chooses to tamper with both, ultimately indirectly saving the day, while remaining neutral.

Years
I think it'd be more like a Gary vs Ash if that were the case. Basing this off of design alone, he seems like he would be a sweetheart. Basing this off of fandom world-wide, he seems like a headstrong kid who tries to better himself without knowing which path, good or evil, can help him do that, so he chooses to tamper with both, ultimately indirectly saving the day, while remaining neutral.

Struggling with the choice of Black or White, he chooses to dabble in shades of Grey...

Hmm. Maybe I'm reading to much into it. Although they did sort of touch on that with the original B/W, so maybe they're continuing with that?

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
Years
  • Age 8
  • +
  • Seen Sep 15, 2020
Struggling with the choice of Black or White, he chooses to dabble in shades of Grey...

Hmm. Maybe I'm reading to much into it. Although they did sort of touch on that with the original B/W, so maybe they're continuing with that?
Ooh, I like that. :o

Perhaps he has a harsh background story that made him who he was today, and one of the things he learns along the way of traveling is how to turn away from it. Our protagonist would try to make him see in the better light as well? Sure it's a generic "evil at first, good in the end", but I think a background story behind it all that continued to bother/follow him, would make it at the least bit more mysterious and interesting.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Idk I hate the idea of "I'm evil I'm evil I'm evil whoop I'm good now!" It's just so boring and overdone no matter how you dress it up. ;x I want an arrogant know-it-all rival who's condescending to the PC but in a "maybe some day you'll be as good as me" kind of way, who's shocked when you beat him in the end, lol.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
Years
  • Age 8
  • +
  • Seen Sep 15, 2020
I think it would be awesome if like he starts off as a childhood friend, as confirmed, but then a plot twist occurs sometime where it reveals he's joined with the evil team because maybe their ideals appeal to him, or maybe the professor (assuming he's evil) somehow convinces him.
...I like this. It's really different, and technically there would be a lesson learned in the end since we're obviously going to beat the bad guys. :P

But yeah, this is actually a really good idea for the rival. It changes from the generic childhood friendship for sure.

Edit: y u delete such a gr8 idea

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 11, 2022
^ This reminds me a bit of Riku from KH...it's been done...but I wouldn't mind seeing it again ^_^

I got the same exact thought, actually. But it also reminds me a little bit like N. How he was good, became evilish but didn't know he was evilish, and then became good. But maybe, if they do make the rival evil, that he will remain in the shadows after you defeat him for the last time? I doubt they'd go to the extreme of never seeing him again, but maybe it'll be to where he isn't just out in the open, like, you have to go search for him or something.

Back