• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen English Name Speculation

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
I like Alma and Averil the most. Since Hilda and Hilbert started with the same letter maybe they will too.

Also if they go with Barack they should pick a name that means fire for the girl (Barack means lightning). Though it seems unlikely that they'll pick that name for obvious reasons...

Years
I just thought of another theme for the protagonists' possible English names:

Travis and Penny.

Cos it sounds like "transparency", which is the origin of their Japanese names.

Travis = Transparency.

Penny = Sounds like transparency.

I have to admit there's so many themes to choose from.

I have now compiled a list of names according to themes I thought of.

Kyouhei_Xtransceiver.png
Possible names for the boy:
Spoiler:

Mei_Xtransceiver.png
Possible names for the girl:
Spoiler:

Last edited:

SouKoLian9102

That 1 Kid Who Plays Pokemon
Years
If I stick with the Reshiram/Zekrom theme, the dude should be Vincent or Victor (Volt) and the chick should be Bree or Bella (Blaze)
Although I doubt Bella just because Bianca's Japanese name was Bel.
*is NOT a Twilight reference. LOL.

droomph

weeb
Years
If that's gonna be his English name, we might as well make it Cory (or Kory), because that's more conventional. Pokémon, I think, is not a place for names like "Aymie".

bwburke94

Forever Aspertia's Aspie
Years
How about "Khoury" for the male, it sounds kinda like his japanese name + it shares some letters with Kyurem.
Already used in the anime. You wouldn't happen to be a Kirbopher fan, would you?

Anyway, the things left to name are:

-A few new locations
-A few new items
-Shadow Triad
-Banjiro

Years
The Shadow triad is already called the Shadow triad in english, they were in BW remember? Or did they give them individual names?
Ps: They have been shown not to be Chili,Cress, and Cilan

Maybe Banjiro will be Banjo...they sound similar...

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
I remember Serebii posting that the Absol owning Shadow Triad member was named "Dark", but all of them have the same Kanji I think. I think they may go back to Team Rocket days and not name the Shadow Triad. Bulbapedia doesn't seem to have different names for them.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
idk. I don't see a Cory/Kory in him, or any variation of the sort. I think he's a nice Kyle, Cole, or Giradialkia lol. And yeah, I think the Shadow Triad won't be getting individual names, so I agree with Xander about going back to the days when no one but you and Gym Leaders had names haha. "Triad wants to fight!" idk yo.

Years
Dark is proably an abbreviation, iirc their japanese was the Dark triad or something around those lines. So in the english version they'll proably be refered to as Shadow.

I don't see the player as Cory or Kory either. Maybe his name will be Calvin? (If so I'll name a cat Pokemon Hobbes).

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
They had them translated as "Shadow Triad 'Dark'" Like it had a name. But Bulbapedia doesn't have that.

Male PC kinda feels like a Dennis and the girl looks like a Bridget.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I definitely don't see a Dennis in him lol. Dennis makes me think of Denny's though, and obviously that kid doesn't look like a building. Or pancakes. I like Bridget though, or some variation of it. tbh as long as they don't name her some unisex name or something like Susan, I will be happy. But saying that, I've jinxed it and they'll name her Susan. ick.

Aquarius1997

The Horoscopical Master
Years
Bridget is an good name for her but Dennis reminds me too much of this dude from school who in all ways NOT related to pokemon

WHY IS SHIZUIS NAME MARLON
MY STEPDADS NAME IS MARLON
HE HATES VIDEO GAMES AND NOW IM REMINDED OF HIM
ughh!

Twilight-kun

Pokémon World Champion
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 27, 2023
hmph
I'm going to call the players and rival by their Japanese names

pity about Homika and Shizui's name butchering though

I wish there was an option to use Japanese names for the main story and setting it so you can english pokemon names and japanese character names...

Aquarius1997

The Horoscopical Master
Years
Are any of the cities/towns yet to be named?
Marlon makes me think of a farmer...and the color Marron...

Huigi City-Aspertia City
Tachiwaki City-Virbank City

I think thats all the new citys/town that have been named. We still need Shizui's (not Marlon) town to be named

hmph
I wish there was an option to use Japanese names for the main story and setting it so you can english pokemon names and japanese character names...

That is such a great idea that us over-proud Americans would never implement

Years
Maybe Marlon's town will have a name similar to Venice like Aqaenice (aqua plus Venice).

I don't think they butchered Roxie and Marlon's names, they are still better than BW's protagonists.

Years
Do you think they'll change the names of some of the lesser places and things such as the Plasma Frigate? It seems like they would keep it the way it is but we thought the same about Pokewood.

Back