• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Remember when...

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
PokemonSubOnigiriEdit.jpg

4kids edited almost everything?

When 4kids was in charge of Pokemon what was your opinion on the anime and the way 4kids treated it? A lot of episodes were banned because 4kids found it ~inappropriate~ or ~BAD FOR THE KIDDIES~. 4kds did come up with original dialogue, called rice balls whatever they wanted or turned it into a sandwich. Basically, they Americanized Pokemon. Were you happy when TCPI took it over?

So, yeah, what I think is 4kids did a lousy job on Pokemon. They edited everything and cut out all Japanese references, got rid of kanji and even changed rice balls into sandwiches! Honestly I was glad that TCPI took it over, they do a good job even on voice actors, but the original lines were...cool I guess.

Discuss.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
I actually really liked the 4Kids dub. I see where people are coming from on the editing and Americanizing, but I think they actually did a decent job of it. Some things were less necessary than others, but iirc a lot of stuff had to be altered to even make sense in translation? And with the translation, wow 4Kids were creative! Lots of liberties taken, but it made for an entertaining show that American kids in the early 2000's understood easily. And they had really good actors too wow. <3 From what I've seen of the TPCI dub (most of Unova, not much else), the scripts seem more ~true to the original~ but sacrifice the creativity and flow that I see in 4Kids? And the acting still seems pretty stilted idk.

Banned eps though I have no idea what you're on about because 4Kids only banned three episodes. Legend of Dratini for guns guns everywhere and Jessie turning up the seduction. Holiday at Aopulco for boobs boobs everywhere, a fair amount of perversion, and suggestiveness. And The Ice Cave for the dumb Jynx controversy. I think they had pretty legit reasons for not showing the first two to kids, even though I would be fine with them having aired. The whole Jynx controversy was dumb and we're well aware, but people were kicking up a fuss so you know. So 4Kids didn't really ban unjustifiably imo.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
He's got a sub sandwich in the first one (4Kids) and an onigiri- rice ball- in the second (original). 4Kids often switched the Japanese food and things to something they figured American kids would recognize. Sometimes they didn't even switch them and just called them something else. Pretty hilarious actually.

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
Years
I actually really liked the 4Kids dub. I see where people are coming from on the editing and Americanizing, but I think they actually did a decent job of it. Some things were less necessary than others, but iirc a lot of stuff had to be altered to even make sense in translation? And with the translation, wow 4Kids were creative! Lots of liberties taken, but it made for an entertaining show that American kids in the early 2000's understood easily. And they had really good actors too wow. <3 From what I've seen of the TPCI dub (most of Unova, not much else), the scripts seem more ~true to the original~ but sacrifice the creativity and flow that I see in 4Kids? And the acting still seems pretty stilted idk.

Banned eps though I have no idea what you're on about because 4Kids only banned three episodes. Legend of Dratini for guns guns everywhere and Jessie turning up the seduction. Holiday at Aopulco for boobs boobs everywhere, a fair amount of perversion, and suggestiveness. And The Ice Cave for the dumb Jynx controversy. I think they had pretty legit reasons for not showing the first two to kids, even though I would be fine with them having aired. The whole Jynx controversy was dumb and we're well aware, but people were kicking up a fuss so you know. So 4Kids didn't really ban unjustifiably imo.

I agree with everything said here. I liked the 4Kids dub as well. That was when the episode titles were puns. Also, the theme songs were a heck of a lot better back then, and made sense. I've got nothing against the TPCi dubs, it's just from the Unova seasons, it's gotten... not as good.

Years
He's got a sub sandwich in the first one (4Kids) and an onigiri- rice ball- in the second (original). 4Kids often switched the Japanese food and things to something they figured American kids would recognize. Sometimes they didn't even switch them and just called them something else. Pretty hilarious actually.
Really !!! Wow I thought 4Kids is controlled by professionals but now.... Haa Haa Haa

Taemin

move.
Years
  • Age 36
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
I do think that 4Kids took their edits a liiiiittle too far. Most of the kids who got into the franchise enough, eventually learned that it was Japanese. Keeping the Japan out of an anime that's that reliant on it is hard to do, and just ends up confusing kids. Like how rice balls make some really questionable donuts.

I do prefer the 4Kids voice actors to the current TPC ones.

bulbasir

Just call me Mr. Sir...
Years
  • Seen Jul 12, 2013
Lol I lost it at the end of the original series where Brock calls his rice ball an onion, kind of shocked me after the whole Misty and Brock leaving haha

Back