• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Mostly Dragon non-legendary Team

Years
  • Seen Oct 13, 2014
I'm creating a mostly-dragon non-legendary team. After much research and help from users here, I've decided on my Pokemon. What do you think?

(Updated) List:
Metagross- Adamant
-Stealth Rock
-Meteor Mash
-Pursuit
-Hammer Arm
252 [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]HP[/COLOR][/COLOR]/96 Atk/160 SDef
Salamence- Jolly
-Outrage
-Dragon Claw
-Earthquake
-Aqua Tail
Garchomp- Adamant
-Swords Dance
-Outrage
-Fire Fang
-Earthquake
4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Tyranitar- Jolly/Adamant
-Stone Edge
-Pursuit
-Surf
-Crunch
4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Magnezone- Modest
-Volt Switch
-Hidden Power Fire
-Thunderbolt
-Flash Cannon
Kingdra- Adamant
-Dragon Dance
-Waterfall
-Outrage
-Rest
HP/96 Atk/32 SDef/228 Spe

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
EVs would totally be helpful here. Also, there's no need to double space every single line.

As your Salamence is using a mixed set, it should be Naive with 64 Atk/192 SAtk/252 Spe.

Metagross should have 252 HP/96 Atk/160 SDef.

Garchomp should be Jolly with 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe.

While Tyranitar has a wide movepool, it's better with physical moves rather than Special ones unless it's mixed. Replace Surf with Superpower, as Jolly and Adamant hinder Special Attack. From the looks of things, it should hold a Choice item. For Choice Band, it should be Adamant with 180 HP/252 Atk/76 Spe. For Choice Scarf, use Jolly with 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe.

Why do you have Thunder on Dragonite? Under Sand conditions, it's accuracy is terrible. Only use Thunder if Dragonite is on a Rain team. Replace it with Fire Punch. The EV spread should be 252 Atk/4 SDef/252 Spe.

Years
  • Seen Oct 13, 2014
If my Salamence were Jolly, what would be the best moveset for it? I decided on Thunder and Surf for type coverage, since if I take those out I have no electric and no water moves. If I replace Thunder with Substitute and Surf with Superpower, should I move some moves around to compensate or am I not at a glaring disadvantage? Sorry for the double spacing, I actually pasted this from Wordpad. Thanks for all the help, PlatinumDude and MissDoronjo, you've been helping me SO much, I'm really grateful!

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
If my Salamence were Jolly, what would be the best moveset for it? I decided on Thunder and Surf for type coverage, since if I take those out I have no electric and no water moves. If I replace Thunder with Substitute and Surf with Superpower, should I move some moves around to compensate or am I not at a glaring disadvantage? Sorry for the double spacing, I actually pasted this from Wordpad. Thanks for all the help, PlatinumDude, you've been helping me SO much, I'm really grateful!

Go for Choice Scarf MoxieMence if you intend on going full physical:
-Outrage
-Dragon Claw
-Earthquake
-Aqua Tail
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Item: Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie

If you're using Substitute on Dragonite, the nature should be Jolly and the EV spread should be 252 HP/72 Def/60 SDef/124 Spe. But since you may have a sandstorm ongoing thanks to Tyranitar, Sub isn't recommended, as Dragonite's Lefties recovery will be cancelled via sandstorm and the weather will ruin Multiscale regardless (unless Dragonite was at full health between turns).

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
If I may chip in here...

To be honest, Dragon Dance Dragonite isn't really effective in a sandstorm team. Like said, sandstorm can damage Dragonite without leftovers, so you'll have a harder time setting up against certain pokemon, and survivablity with sandstorm might be an issue if you've run into say, a Heatran with Protect. Your team seems to be a lot of offensive oriented, hitting hard without waiting one turn anyway. So, I'm just throwing this out there, how about trying a Choice Band set?

~ Outrage
~ ExtremeSpeed
~ Fire Punch / Waterfall
~ Earthquake / Superpower

You can sometimes even use Dragonite as a lead as a nice check / counter against opposing lead weather teams like Politoad and Ninetales. Superpower is a nice attack against rival Tyranitar too.

You can also try out Magnezone if you're interested. There's a famous strategy around the competitive discussions - it's called 'Drag n' Mag'. Basically, Magnezone eliminates Steel type pokemon (except for Heatran maybe), where it can give your Dragon pokemon more breathing room to sweep. You can try this moveset:

@Choice Specs
~ Volt Switch
~ Hidden Power Fire
~ Thunderbolt
~ Flash Cannon

As a viable option over Wobbufett. However, that's up to you - that's one suggestion I have.

Good luck on your battles~!

Years
  • Seen Oct 13, 2014
I'm hearing alot that my team consists of blunt force- I tried to incorporate strategy in instances like Wobbuffet, and running a Dragon Dance set with Garchomp, but apparently my team still just consists of blunt force. This could be very dangerous- are there any critical changes I should make to improve my team's strategic elements? Also, I'm hearing that Dragonite is a bad option, should I replace it with Kingdra or is it not that much of a concern to simply send Tyranitar out after Dragonite faints?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I'm hearing alot that my team consists of blunt force- I tried to incorporate strategy in instances like Wobbuffet, and running a Dragon Dance set with Garchomp, but apparently my team still just consists of blunt force. This could be very dangerous- are there any critical changes I should make to improve my team's strategic elements? Also, I'm hearing that Dragonite is a bad option, should I replace it with Kingdra or is it not that much of a concern to simply send Tyranitar out after Dragonite faints?

Yes, replace Dragonite with Kingdra. You already have a Dragon/Flying 'mon in Salamence and Tyranitar's Sandstorm ruins Multiscale, like I said before. Kingdra is on the team to take advantage of opposing rain teams:
-Dragon Dance
-Waterfall
-Outrage
-Rest
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 152 HP/96 Atk/32 SDef/228 Spe
Item: Chesto Berry
Ability: Swift Swim

or
-Draco Meteor
-Hydro Pump
-Dragon Pulse/Ice Beam
-Surf/Ice Beam
Nature: Modest/Timid
EVs: 28 HP/252 SATK/228 Spe
Item: Choice Specs

or
-Dragon Dance
-Waterfall/Hydro Pump
-Outrage
-Hidden Power (Fire)/Draco Meteor
Nature: Naughty
EVs: 136 Atk/136 SAtk/236 Spe
Item: Life Orb/Lum Berry

Or you can take Doronjo's suggestion of Magnezone because it helps eliminate the Steels that your Dragons may struggle to beat. It also has good defensive synergy with said dragons.

Years
  • Seen Oct 13, 2014
If I switch to Magnezone, will my team be much better? Wobuffett was my wall, and without him my team lacks a certain element of strategy and unpredictability. That being said, if my team is truly at a disadvantage without Magnezone I'll switch Wobuffet out for it. What do you think?
EDIT: I'm not allowed to double post so I'll just write it here- can someone answer my magnezone question? Magnezone or Wobbuffet?

Last edited:
Back