• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen "I choose you, ___________!"

Which starter did you choose?

• Total voters

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
Years
For Pearl, the first starter I chose was Chimchar because I like fire types.

For SoulSilver, I picked Chikarita because I had never used it in my original Gold or Silver. When I got HeartGold, I chose Totodile because I choose it in my original Silver but I never beat it because it broke D;

Shadowraze

ur mum
Years
I picked Chimchar on my first try of Diamond.

And I picked Cyndaquil in Heartgold.

I am fond of fire types. :3

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
On my replaythroughs of the game I decided to try different starters, ones that I don't normally consider. I've overdone water to be honest so I decided to take a break and give the other types a little love. In Platinum I decided to go with Turtwig, mainly because there were other great fire-types I wanted to catch later on in the game such as Houndoom.

In Soulsilver, I had already chosen Totodile in Heartgold and I decided to give Cyndaquil a go since it's design was adorable and apparently it was a ferocious and powerful attacker in it's final evolutions.

voltianqueen

WITH SEAWATER
Years
  • Age 30
  • TN
  • Seen Feb 9, 2018
I've always been a fire person, so of course I chose Chimchar in Pearl and Cyndaquil in SS.

Years
  • Seen Sep 2, 2021
I usually just chose the cutest.

Piplup, in Pearl and Diamond because I liked penguins at that time, and Chikorita for HeartGold. I still like Cyndaquil and Chimchar though, I just like Chikorita and Piplup.

Seth Rollins

Holding on to You |-/
Years
  • Age 22
  • Nah
  • Seen Feb 28, 2017
Cyndaquil and Chimchar. FIRE TYPES STARTERS FTW.
But I like Cyndaquil way more than Chimchar only to let you know.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen yesterday
In DP yeah, I went for Piplup. C'mon, it's a penguin, who wouldn't?
And in Platinum, the exact same penguin all over again, just hours after restarting Diamond :/

For SoulSilver it was Cyndaquil, but for HeartGold it was Totodile, and I didn't get to the Elite Four on SS.

.:batto:.

Pokébreeder
Years
chicoritia (excuse the spelling)
but i prefer grass pokemon because you can really mess with trainers battle plans. poisonpowder, sleep powder. ect. plus giga drain. at high levels grass pokemon become virtually unstoppable

Years
Poor Chikorita and Turtwig! ): I chose both in my first playthroughs of the respectives games. However I'm now going to be using Totodile as I got my shiny one!

MudkipBoy

Ruby/Sapphire Veteran
Years
  • Seen Feb 15, 2024
I chose turtwig for my first runthrough of Diamond, and currently have a bayleef (so chickorita) in SoulSilver

Virgilin

Salmon Fishing in Vulcan
Years
Chimchar has never failed me in D/P/Platinum. Though I absolutely love Piplup!
For HGSS, Cyndaquil is great but Chikorita is awesome too. In fact, it happens to be my favorite grass-type starter.

Aurora

seven years here and i finally figure out how to d
Years
I've used all starters at least once in D/P, but the starter I spent the longest time on / with was Piplup. It's one of the only Pokemon I've ever had with which I managed to hit Level 100.

As for HG/SS, I've used both Cyndaquil and Totodile, but by far my favourite out of those is Cyndaquil, because it's an early Fire-type and I can't easily obtain Growlithe in SoulSilver.

PyroDragneer

Pokemon Trainer Pyro
Years
  • Seen Feb 10, 2022
In Pokemon Platinum, I choose either Chimchar or Turtwig as they are both my favourite pokemon in the sinnoh region (and they are really powerful) and in HG & SS my starters were either totodile or cyndaquil

Years
In Diamond it was a tough choice between Chimchar and Piplup as I liked them both quite a lot and their evolutions, but ultimately I chose Chimchar because I like fire types. I would later pick Piplup on Platinum to make up for that previous decision.

On Heart Gold and Soul Silver I picked Cyndaquil which is the easiest choice in the world for me because my favourite pokémon is Typhlosion. I'm glad to see Cyndaquil is quite a popular choice amongst other members too.

Years
  • Seen Jul 22, 2014
I always chose Chimchar and Cyndaquil, unless doing a challenge where I needed to use one of the others.

Sirfetch’d

I chose Chimchar on my first Pearl playthrough, however I quickly started over due to a bad nature and decided to pick Turtwig instead.

On Soulsilver I chose Totodile because I found it the most useful in Silver.

Back