• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon: Legends of the Arena

WackyTurtle

Developer
Years
Hello. This is the first time I've ever started a new thread on PokéCommunity, and have shared my ideas with the rest of the world. So be nice.

POKÉMON: LEGENDS OF THE ARENA
(Working Title)

Map.png

PLATFORM: RPG XP

Basically, my idea behind creating this project was to merge the best features of the handheld Pokémon games and the console ones. The game is centered around an International Pokémon Championships competition, with Colosseum-style battles for each round, but with each new stage of the competition taking part in a different area.

STORY

Spoiler:

SCREENSHOTS

Spoiler:

MAPS (OUTDATED)

Spoiler:

FEATURES

• The best features of Pokémon Colosseum and XD being merged with the best features of the handheld Pokémon games - e.g. there's wild grass and routes but the main action takes place during the championships, in a stadium. However, don't think of the game as Pokémon Colosseum in 2D; this is a standalone game merely inspired by its counterparts.
  • There are eight rounds in the competition each taking place in 8 unique areas, across a vast world map.
  • Win badges medals by proceeding up harder and harder rounds, and ultimately win the Championship Cup by coming first in the finals.
  • Have thrilling Colosseum-style battles against several trainers for each arena, with an audience and announcer to heighten the atmosphere.
  • Engage in an intriguing, exciting, and, at times, emotional storyline involving courage, jealousy and friendship.
Now to the important bit: I NEED HELP!

Yeah. I'm not a very good spriter and I'm terrible with code. But I'm an okay mapper and eventer (if that's the right name) and I'm determined to see this through and not give up on it like my other projects. So if you think you can make some custom tiles, or create a player character sprite, or dramatically develop the look of the battle scene, or if you can do none of the above and just want to offer moral support, then climb on board ship WackyTurtle...

CREDITS

Pokemon Essentials Starter Kit: Poccil
Sinnoh Tiles: Kyledove
Extra Tiles: Newtiteuf, chimcharsfireworkd
(Temporary) Music: khinsider.com

FINAL NOTE

In all seriousness, I do need some help if I'm going to do this. I know I probably should've posted on team recruitment or something, but all the rules scare me a bit...

That's all, I guess. Some feedback and/or constructive criticism would be nice :).

Last edited:

D. Lawride

Audi Famam Illius, Scriptor!
Years
Saaay, I gotta admit that this looks pretty good! :D

The story is essentially out of the mold, and still sounds interesting; the screenshots, you managed to pull off the D/P look quite well. If you want new tiles, I (and it's in italics because many disagree) recommend HGSS tiles. Try hunting in the Resources section, you should probably find compilations of the tilesets there; you could also try deviantArt and other such websites.

At any rate, good luck with this! :D

WackyTurtle

Developer
Years
Quick Update

Very quick update, just thought I'd post the map of the starting city.

Spoiler:

And as for using the HGSS tileset...maybe. I've used it before and it looks quite good, but I find that it's a little garish. I'm actually warming towards Kyledove's tiles ever since I found a bunch more on his DeviantArt.

Last edited:

D. Lawride

Audi Famam Illius, Scriptor!
Years
And as for using the HGSS tileset...maybe. I've used it before and it looks quite good, but I find that it's a little garish. I'm actually warming towards Kyledove's tiles ever since I found a bunch more on his DeviantArt.

Make sense. You do seem to use those tiles very well, or at least it's what I gather from that map and the screenshots.

Pharetra

zzzz
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 23, 2021
Try to have atleast two spaces for the player to move on. In the north of the starting city, there's for example just on passable tile. Except for that, everything looks good. So, good luck.

Years
The story sounds very interesting, but it almost sounds as though it starts in the middle. I know you don't want to give out too many details, but maybe you should describe how you obtained your first pokemon or if you already have or something in that sense. Like I said, it sounds like a great story, I just don't think enough is explained.

Also, I'm not quite sure, but it sounds like each city will have a gym (arena is what you're calling it I guess) and it sounds like each one will have only one trainer to battle against. Maybe you could make each one have multiple trainers similar to the Battle Tower in the mainstream games. I could be wrong about your thought process, but this is also just a suggestion if you have not given any thought to something like this.

WackyTurtle

Developer
Years
The story sounds very interesting, but it almost sounds as though it starts in the middle. I know you don't want to give out too many details, but maybe you should describe how you obtained your first pokemon or if you already have or something in that sense. Like I said, it sounds like a great story, I just don't think enough is explained.

Also, I'm not quite sure, but it sounds like each city will have a gym (arena is what you're calling it I guess) and it sounds like each one will have only one trainer to battle against. Maybe you could make each one have multiple trainers similar to the Battle Tower in the mainstream games. I could be wrong about your thought process, but this is also just a suggestion if you have not given any thought to something like this.

You've been a Pokémon trainer for a while now, and already have a Pokémon at Lv. 15. The Pokémon you begin with is decided by a short personality quiz, or an 'Application Form' for the competition.

And as for the arena in each city, there will be a set of Colosseum-style battles against several trainers for each arena, somewhat similar to the Battle Tower but in front of an audience and with an announcer, so more akin to the console games' battles.

Last edited:
Years
You've been a Pokémon trainer for a while now, and already have a Pokémon at Lv. 15. The Pokémon you begin with is decided by a short personality quiz, or an 'Application Form' for the competition.

And as for the arena in each city, there will be a set of Colosseum-style battles against several trainers for each arena, somewhat similar to the Battle Tower but in front of an audience and with an announcer, so more akin to the console games' battles.

You should probably add that first part in your first post within the story section.

As for deciding by personality test, very original. I don't think I've seen that before. Can't wait to see which pokemon you are capable of getting. Me personally, I like non-traditional starters.

PiaCRT

[i]Orange Dev[/i]
Years
So...What happens if you're brother wins? Anyway, you should get some custom heroes in there, because Barry and (LucarioDude) keeps making me close my eyes and click the Back button.

Also, is there a female trainer?

WackyTurtle

Developer
Years
So...What happens if you're brother wins? Anyway, you should get some custom heroes in there, because Barry and (LucarioDude) keeps making me close my eyes and click the Back button.

Also, is there a female trainer?

If your brother wins, then...uh, the world ends. No, you just try again, like if you lose a key fight in the main games. I might try to develop some kind of checkpoint system that, if you lose, sends you back to the last checkpoint, but if that's too complicated then I won't bother. And don't worry, the hero sprites are just temporary. Keep in mind that this is in very early stages of development, so there's a lot to still be done.

As for the female trainer, it's possible, but it may not fit into some of the plot developments I had in mind.

Last edited:

PiaCRT

[i]Orange Dev[/i]
Years
Actually, Losing battle events are very easy to event. I might be able to help you later on with this =P Read the Pokemon Essentials notes for the best info. on eventing.

WackyTurtle

Developer
Years
Update

Sorry I haven't updated in a while, I've had some exams, etc. I've been working with some different tilesets and I'm torn between kyledove's DP tiles and TheDeadHeroAlistair's custom tiles. I've produced some examples for comparison - which one do you think looks better?

Example One (kyledove)

Spoiler:

Example Two (Alistair)

Spoiler:

Orangturttle

Magikarp MASTER!
Years
  • Seen Oct 23, 2012
Wow! Sounds like a really nice story line! I like the fact of beating your brother [I'm guessing that's your rival later in the game?]. I think Emails can be simple events like Showing pictures, then an invisible text box, and when the play clicks "z" [or whatever] it erases that picture and shows another, but that's only if you want emails that you predefine, and you don't want random emails from trainers... :P I think their is a phone system [like in HGSS] around here somewhere, I'm sure it would be a simple edit to make that an email system. I myself, have no clue how to work rgss.. ;_;
Good work with the game though, and I think you should continue using Kyledoves tilesets. :)

WackyTurtle

Developer
Years
Sorry I haven't updated in a looong time, I've been catching up with work, in LA, etc. I'll try and be a bit more regular in future :)

Anyway, I have some new screenshots to replace the outdated ones in the first post. Keep in mind that the DP characters for you and your brother are just temporary until I can find a character spriter.

TilesetCompliation.png

WackyTurtle

Developer
Years
Alright, I've given spriting a world map a chance. This is my first ever try at this, so be nice (although it wasn't too tricky to be honest :)).

Map.png

Back