• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Down Under: Ground-type Pokémon Fan Club

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
Diglett is an adorable Pokemon that I've always loved whether half of it is missing or not. I've still been confused by the Diglett's nose or Diglett's mouth debate. Some say it's just his nose, some say it's a mouth with one tooth. What do you guys think? As for what's underneath, I don't imagine anything . I can't think of anything underneath that doesn't look weird but it might be based on those whack-a-mole creations. Actually if it does have anything underneath, this looks pretty realistic. :p

Spoiler:

Thoughts? I personally find that it could work. As for how Digletts somehow clump together, I have no idea. It might be like Magneton where they are pulled by a magnetic force. Maybe Gamefreak just ran out of ideas. But the idea of how Dugtrio came to be is an interesting concept. Maybe they're a family? Mother, father, child. I honestly don't know how three Digletts suddenly appear but if anyone has theories, then feel free to share. :D

CloysterOyster

Master of Ice
Years
I think it's a nose, as it looks raised when you look closely at it. A mouth wouldn't look so raised like that I think. I also agree on that Diglett is based off the whack-a-mole games. Perhaps Diglett is shaped like an imperfect cylinder and doesn't have arms or legs.

CloysterOyster

Master of Ice
Years
I can't wait to see what Ground-types they'll release in Generation 6. Also, thanks to AlexOzzyCake for the Ground-type club's userbar in the original post. :)

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
I can't wait to see what Ground-types they'll release in Generation 6. Also, thanks to AlexOzzyCake for the Ground-type club's userbar in the original post. :)
You're welcome :D

What kind of Ground Pokémon are you actually expecting to see for Gen VI? I can't think of many animals left to be made that would strike me as Ground-type so kind of clutching at straws for guessing new designs now haha. Have you guys thought of any yet?

CloysterOyster

Master of Ice
Years
You're welcome :D

What kind of Ground Pokémon are you actually expecting to see for Gen VI? I can't think of many animals left to be made that would strike me as Ground-type so kind of clutching at straws for guessing new designs now haha. Have you guys thought of any yet?

Some kind of worm that is Ground-based. Ground still has not been paired with Fighting, Normal and the new Fairy type, so maybe any of those three.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Some kind of worm that is Ground-based. Ground still has not been paired with Fighting, Normal and the new Fairy type, so maybe any of those three.
Oo that'd be interesting - how about a Ground/Dark-type worm that ambushes prey from underneath and surprise attacks them, with or without drinking their blood? :D It could be a vampire earthworm...thing. XD

Years
  • Seen Mar 20, 2016
Username: walnutsloth

Partner pokemon: cubone

Answer to topic question: My favorite ground type move has to be earthquake, which is probobly my favorite move overall. Especially in double and triple battles.

CloysterOyster

Master of Ice
Years
Username: walnutsloth

Partner pokemon: cubone

Answer to topic question: My favorite ground type move has to be earthquake, which is probobly my favorite move overall. Especially in double and triple battles.

Welcome to the club. I remember Cubone in the games. A sad time when you'd venture into the Lavender Town Pokemon Tower and a Cubone's mother (Marowak) was killed by Team Rocket, and you had to defeat her ghost to put her to rest. Earthquake is probably the best Ground-type move, it just screams damage.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Club event: Favorite Ground-type Face-Off!
I'll enter each of the current 59 Ground-types in a randomized tournament column and you vote on your favorite from each column based on origin, design, move set, etc. between the two pitted against each other per column. I'll start with 5 columns a week, so get your votes in.
Column #1: Golurk
623.png
vs. Excadrill
530.png

Column #2: Diglett
050.png
vs. Barboach
339.png

Column #3: Marshtomp
259.png
vs. Dugtrio
051.png

Column #4: Cubone
104.png
vs. Krokorok
552.png

Column #5: Stunfisk
618.png
vs. Krookodile
553.png
Most of these brackets seem pretty easy to pick so time to get voting!

530.png
Excadrill! What can I say - it's a badass steel mole that can rip anything to shreds in a matter of seconds vs a weird clay ghost robot thing with no real skills or fun aspects to play around with. Excadrill wins easily here and is one of my favourite Pokémon (probably because it's just the Unova version of Sandslash) and he's endlessly more fun to use on a team. Golurk's Fly is interesting, but that's the only thing it has going for it.

050.png
Diglett! HOW CUTE IS THIS THING OMG. It's a tiny little mole that's so cute and adorable and I just want to hug it eeeeep. Diglett's one of the cutest Pokémon out there (assuming it's bottom half isn't grotesque...) and I adore its design, I just wish it'd come out of the ground occasionally haha.

051.png
Dugtrio! The reason? Just see above for Diglett. What's more awesome than Diglett? THREE DIGLETTS. ♥ Marshtomp's kind of ugly and I don't really like the line much but Water/Ground is an interesting combo so ehh, I think Dugtrio still comes out on top here.

104.png
Cubone! Cubone's cute and Krokorok's scary - need I say more? Cubone's one of those Pokémon that no one could hate (if you put aside the whole skull/dead mother thing...) whereas Krokorok's just a normal boring Pokémon with not much interesting going for it. Sandile's cute but Krokorok fits more in the "awkward" category.

618.png
STUUUUUNNNFFFIIIIISSSSKKKKK. This thing is just so ridiculously derpy that I love it omg. Krookodile's kind of cool and has a nice 'badass' factor about it but Stunfisk is just hilarious and that makes it a perfect Pokémon, especially when it's so fun to use in battle and surprisingly strong. I used one on my team in Black and I adored it so it easily takes the vote here, especially when it's only up against some evil crocodile thing.

Affliction

Booted out - don't be like me!
Years
  • Age 46
  • Seen Sep 3, 2016
Preferred username Umbr30n
Partner Pokémon Steelix

Favourite Ground Type?

Steelix, because it's design, and name and pretty much everything about it is awesome.

Favourite Ground Type Move?

It has to be Fissure. It doesn't matter how low it's accuracy is - What it can do completely makes up for it. It gets rid of almost any Pokémon which can be very useful as you could get rid of most tanks (Shuckle, anyone?) which could turn the game around. Just make sure you don't try it against higher level Pokémon, that's actually where you start wasting valuable turns.

Why do you like the Ground Type?

Every Ground-Type has something unique about them - They all excel at different stats unlike some Types and they are strong against many different types. What's more, they have the rare occurance of having a knockout move with them, something 14 other types don't have yet (I'm not counting Fairy, we don't actually know what moves they have yet).

CloysterOyster

Master of Ice
Years
Preferred username Umbr30n
Partner Pokémon Steelix

Favourite Ground Type?

Steelix, because it's design, and name and pretty much everything about it is awesome.

Favourite Ground Type Move?

It has to be Fissure. It doesn't matter how low it's accuracy is - What it can do completely makes up for it. It gets rid of almost any Pokémon which can be very useful as you could get rid of most tanks (Shuckle, anyone?) which could turn the game around. Just make sure you don't try it against higher level Pokémon, that's actually where you start wasting valuable turns.

Why do you like the Ground Type?

Every Ground-Type has something unique about them - They all excel at different stats unlike some Types and they are strong against many different types. What's more, they have the rare occurance of having a knockout move with them, something 14 other types don't have yet (I'm not counting Fairy, we don't actually know what moves they have yet).

Welcome to the club. I love Steelix as well, they did right with him and his design. Big, tough iron snake with a nasty attitude. I never used Fissure much but I love that it is a one-hit KO, I should've used it more. Ground-types are underrated but are that one type you have in your back pocket when you need them.

Last edited:

Affliction

Years
  • Age 46
  • Seen Sep 3, 2016
Column #1: Claydol has my vote. Great wall. Brilliant movepool. Only problem is that it doesn't have very high Attack stats and that it has six weaknesses, and at least four of them are used a lot.

Column #2: Marshtomp. Only real weakness is Grass (Which is not used too much, but it's 4x) and it could learn moves to destroy even them (Excellent Movepool). And what's more, it evolves into a beast. As for Donphan, I also like that, as it's a great tank. It's massive problem is that all of it's weaknesses mainly use Special Attacks, and Donphan's Special Defense is poor, so it could be done in two attacks, maybe even one attack.

Column #3: Gabite. It's very fast, it's very powerful, and it evolves into an AWESOME beast.

Column #4: Rhyperior. It may be even worse than Donphan at resistance, but how is a tiny Gible going to stand a chance against something that looks almost 4 times bigger? Sure, Gible's line is good, but Rhyperior is even better.

Column #5: Diglett. I would have said Larvitar had it's final evolution stayed to being Ground-Type. But unfortunately, it's not (But Rock/Ground isn't a too good combination anyway, though...) so I have to say Diglett's better because it's evolution could finish off a whole team depending on how you train it.

Affliction

Years
  • Age 46
  • Seen Sep 3, 2016
Column #1: Baltoy is best, it's an actual Ground-Type and can throw away all of Arceus' Electric and Ground moves.

Column #2: Generation I is much better than Generation V, so I'm saying Cubone.

Column #3: Stunfisk would win against even Hippowdon. Wanna know why? Stunfisk.

Column #4: Generation I is much better than Generation III, so I'm saying Diglett.

Column #5: Rhydon can learn anything, man. Even if it's exaggerated, it still learns a lot of moves, and many of them could take down a Claydol.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
I'll vote for Baltoy, Cubone, Stunfisk, Diglett and Rhydon, all because I simply don't like the other Pokémon in their respective match-ups paha. Convenient for them I think!

Has anyone watched the Pokémon Origin anime yet? Gioanni's use of Ground-types is really impressive, I didn't know they could be so strong haha. Do you guys think he actually qualifies as a decent gym leader or will he always just be the Rocket boss to you?

CloysterOyster

Master of Ice
Years
I'll vote for Baltoy, Cubone, Stunfisk, Diglett and Rhydon, all because I simply don't like the other Pokémon in their respective match-ups paha. Convenient for them I think!

Has anyone watched the Pokémon Origin anime yet? Gioanni's use of Ground-types is really impressive, I didn't know they could be so strong haha. Do you guys think he actually qualifies as a decent gym leader or will he always just be the Rocket boss to you?

Votes added. No I have not, what is it exactly? I don't think they gave Giovanni enough credit as a master Ground trainer and Gym Leader, too much focus on him being the boss of Team Rocket.

Affliction

Years
  • Age 46
  • Seen Sep 3, 2016
Giovanni's just the Rocket Boss to me, because I play Johto games more than Kanto Games and in the Johto games Giovanni's just known as the Rocket Boss.

What was the Pokémon League thinking, hiring the Rocket Boss? Sure, they might not have known, but surely they would have thought he was shady, because he kept on "disappearing" when actually he's been leading a whole rebellion of criminals? And, just in case anybody mentions Blaine here, as a matter of fact, he did help the Rockets (He helped create Mewtwo). But that doesn't matter, it doesn't involve Ground-Types.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Blaine helped make the Rockets/Mewtwo? Blimey, I had no idea haha.

To answer about Giovanni; he was portrayed as evil to begin with but then as he was battling Red in the gym match he started to remember back to when he was first becoming a trainer and remembered how much he loved the feeling and then gave an absolutely remarkable fight against Red. I won't go into more detail to avoid spoiling it for you guys, but I really wish they showed this side of Giovanni more in the games. I think he really had the potential to be a great gym leader that'd have a huge impact on the story.

Affliction

Years
  • Age 46
  • Seen Sep 3, 2016
Blaine helped make the Rockets/Mewtwo? Blimey, I had no idea haha.

Yeah, part of Mewtwo's DNA matches Blaine's.

/Massive spoilers in the wrong threads/

/Parallelogram/

Three years later though, apparently Giovanni still works for Team Rocket. Or the Rockets want him back. :/

CloysterOyster

Master of Ice
Years
Discussion

Which new Ground-type is your favorite? Have you used them yet, assuming you have X and/or Y?

Diggersby, Bunnelby's evolved form and is a dual Normal/Ground type known as the Digging Pokemon
Diggersby.png

Zygarde, a legendary dual Dragon/Ground type known as the Order Pokemon
544px-Zygarde_by_theangryaron-d6pgnq4-1-.png

Garchomp also has a Mega form now
mega_garchomp.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back