• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Stop the Bullying!

c l e a r

Transparent Darkness
Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2018
No idea why they bully people suffering from Asperger's, it seems so natural. Anyway, aww, man... PC must be the online community with highest number of people feeling pity toward themselves. See, I'm not trying to be harsh, but they only pick on you if you allow them to and, when you get older than 15, you usually realize that and should have an attitude about it. Anyway, I'm not judging anyone, god only knows how the life of everyone here is.

No, no, seems to be pretty common elsewhere too. If you start a thread in a forum in other places on "Who has been diagnosed with Aspergers?" You can expect a decent amount of replies.

From where I am standing from my rather shallow perspective. Bullys bully other people because they can do it; others sit by watching idly because of bystander effect; and teachers or law enforcers in general don't care because the rules and the law, respectively, don't intervene until someone on one side has been hurt.

You know, you're right. About the time when I reached 16, I finally said to myself. "**** it, screw them, and screw anyone else that stood by and watch me suffer." and you know? It worked. I learned to channel my hate correctly towards people I despise. I only wished I had done it sooner, I may be full of bitterness and angst, but then I have learned to see things.

Just remember though - No matter what kind of **** you have been through; someone else has had it worse than you.

Controversial?

Bored musician, bad programmer
Years
  • Age 28
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 11, 2020
Pfft, I have Asperger's and no-one's bullied me about it, in fact usually people are cool with it because I don't tell people unless they properly know me.

Phantom1

[css-div="font-size: 12px; font-variant: small-cap
Years
I have Aspergers. Aspergers is a high functioning autism. Every case is different; if you don't know go google it. I was diagnosed around 15 because my parents didn't think anything was wrong and that I was just awkward. Though doctors speculated long before that.

I am often embarassed of it and normally don't tell anyone openly.

So here are a few things about me, I am obsessed with Doctor Who and religion. I have few friends, and I find it better to communicate over text than with words. My Aspergers has officially prevented me from joining the USAF, as well as any career in law enforcement.I have learned to act my way through most social situations. Sometimes I snap my fingers or recite poetry (usually Shakespeare) without thinking it. This is called 'stimming'. I hate when my schedule is messed up, and I must have everything planned accordingly. I have a photographic memory. I have a very high IQ.

I was teased, but it wasn't because I had Aspergers. Mainly because I didn't go telling everyone I knew, unless it was relevant of course. I didn't start telling people until recently that I had it. It was just part of my life that I just dealt with and didn't really care. Aspergers isn't an excuse and never should be. Saying 'I don't have friends because I am an aspie' isn't a 'get out of jail free card' for life. And sorry but it sounds like you're using it that way.

I was bullied because I simply was one of the kids who did get bullied. Simple as that. And it wasn't until I stood up for myself that they stopped. I ignored them, made my own friends, and went on with my life.

In short, aspies should never define who you are. You are who you make yourself to be. And if you're teased, maybe it's because you're giving them fuel for the fire by telling them you're on the spectrum.

Last edited:

c l e a r

Transparent Darkness
Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2018
So here are a few things about me, I am obsessed with Doctor Who and religion. I have few friends, and I find it better to communicate over text than with words. My Aspergers has officially prevented me from joining the USAF, as well as any career in law enforcement.I have learned to act my way through most social situations. Sometimes I snap my fingers or recite poetry (usually Shakespeare) without thinking it. This is called 'stimming'. I hate when my schedule is messed up, and I must have everything planned accordingly. I have a photographic memory. I have a very high IQ.

Hey, bro, this last bit here... Is your photography memory like... you glace at it once and you remember it, or you have to read and the the time absorb it, like I do? I can grasp the ideas behind anything I read, and can recite the exact quotes. However, I don't remember unimportant bits, such what page number is it on, or how many birds flew past at this exact time...

See, this is always made me wonder, since although I have very good memory, I always seems to remember it, that is if it catches my attention. If you don't mind, can you tell me if you had these as well at a young age?

Thing is, I have had these kind of memorization skills since I was able to read, and had photographic memory on "events" that caught my attention; however, the interesting part is that I wasn't diagnosed until 16, which is like... way before I have a grasp of my being in the world. This truly, truly, baffles me.

I was teased, but it wasn't because I had Aspergers. Mainly because I didn't go telling everyone I knew, unless it was relevant of course. I didn't start telling people until recently that I had it. It was just part of my life that I just dealt with and didn't really care. Aspergers isn't an excuse and never should be. Saying 'I don't have friends because I am an aspie' isn't a 'get out of jail free card' for life. And sorry but it sounds like you're using it that way.

I was bullied because I simply was one of the kids who did get bullied. Simple as that. And it wasn't until I stood up for myself that they stopped. I ignored them, made my own friends, and went on with my life.

Bolded part for truth, you'll have to pave your own future, things does not get better if you sit there, whine about it and expecting results. Aspergers should not control your life, ever. I stole that trick long time ago, and it really annoyed my friends until one of them snapped, and gave me a tongue lashing like I did you. So please, I, and all people here, that has the same experience as you, meant you well, and I hope you do your best. Since at the end of it, no one really matters, except for your well-being.

Phantom1

[css-div="font-size: 12px; font-variant: small-cap
Years
Hey, bro, this last bit here... Is your photography memory like... you glace at it once and you remember it, or you have to read and the the time absorb it, like I do? I can grasp the ideas behind anything I read, and can recite the exact quotes. However, I don't remember unimportant bits, such what page number is it on, or how many birds flew past at this exact time...

See, this is always made me wonder, since although I have very good memory, I always seems to remember it, that is if it catches my attention. If you don't mind, can you tell me if you had these as well at a young age?

Thing is, I have had these kind of memorization skills since I was able to read, and had photographic memory on "events" that caught my attention; however, the interesting part is that I wasn't diagnosed until 16, which is like... way before I have a grasp of my being in the world. This truly, truly, baffles me.
honestly it depends on the day. Sometimes I can recall something perfectly... others I can tell you how many birds and completely miss the elephant.... if that makes sense

Like that poetry, I can recite a sonnet in about 2-3 minutes after reading it for the first time.

SomariFeyWright

Seven years is all it takes...
Years
Bullying. My god. The experiences I can tell...

From the internet, to school, to out of school, bullying is SOOOOO common for me. I consider it a normal occurence for crying out loud!

For a freaky, no-life, anti-romance 14-year old like me, bullying isn't that much of a problem, but I know that despite the unspeakable things I've been called, plenty of people have gone through much worse than I have, so I agree that it MUST be stopped!

... If only doing so was even possible...

Years
  • Age 51
  • Seen Jul 22, 2016
Bullying. My god. The experiences I can tell...

From the internet, to school, to out of school, bullying is SOOOOO common for me. I consider it a normal occurence for crying out loud!

For a freaky, no-life, anti-romance 14-year old like me, bullying isn't that much of a problem, but I know that despite the unspeakable things I've been called, plenty of people have gone through much worse than I have, so I agree that it MUST be stopped!

... If only doing so was even possible...

It is possible, if only the right policies are put into place. Education is a huge key to solving the problem. I'll give you an example.

In the U.K., there are large instances of bullying by students and teaches because of another's perceived or actual sexual orientation. One teacher was even quoted as telling a student that if he didn't wish to be picked on that he should "act less gay." But in one north London school, they have implemented a very effective education program that teaches students about gay history. With the implementation of this course, the school has almost entirely cut homophobic bullying in its classrooms and playgrounds.

So yes, it is possible to tackle bullying and do it in an effective manner. What's needed is the courage and will by school administrators to enact programs that tackles the cause of bullying behaviour.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2018

It is possible, if only the right policies are put into place. Education is a huge key to solving the problem. I'll give you an example.

In the U.K., there are large instances of bullying by students and teaches because of another's perceived or actual sexual orientation. One teacher was even quoted as telling a student that if he didn't wish to be picked on that he should "act less gay." But in one north London school, they have implemented a very effective education program that teaches students about gay history. With the implementation of this course, the school has almost entirely cut homophobic bullying in its classrooms and playgrounds.

So yes, it is possible to tackle bullying and do it in an effective manner. What's needed is the courage and will by school administrators to enact programs that tackles the cause of bullying behaviour.

I could get down with that approach if the rights of parents are respected in the process.

Years
  • Age 51
  • Seen Jul 22, 2016
I could get down with that approach if the rights of parents are respected in the process.

When it comes to combating bullying, the rights of the parents come secondary to the safety of the students.

I do find it interesting that some people would object to learning about gay history, as though they think the very mentioning of the word "gay" would turn their children into flaming queens. The fact of the matter is, through education we can help dispel misconceptions about different groups of people and promote understanding. The same type of education programs were introduced to combat antisemitism and racism only a few short decades ago.

Learning about gay history will do nothing to alter anyone's beliefs, but it will allow people to see gays and lesbians in a different light, and just maybe it will foster respect on both sides.

The only ones who would object are those whose prejudices run so deep, that in their eyes, any mentioning of gays and lesbians in a positive light would be deemed a threat to their world-view.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2018

When it comes to combating bullying, the rights of the parents come secondary to the safety of the students.

I do find it interesting that some people would object to learning about gay history, as though they think the very mentioning of the word "gay" would turn their children into flaming queens. The fact of the matter is, through education we can help dispel misconceptions about different groups of people and promote understanding. The same type of education programs were introduced to combat antisemitism and racism only a few short decades ago.

Learning about gay history will do nothing to alter anyone's beliefs, but it will allow people to see gays and lesbians in a different light, and just maybe it will foster respect on both sides.

The only ones who would object are those whose prejudices run so deep, that in their eyes, any mentioning of gays and lesbians in a positive light would be deemed a threat to their world-view.

I disagree. Parents rights are very important and must be respected in every educational decision that is made.

c l e a r

Transparent Darkness
Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2018
yet, unfortunately for the rest of us in the western hemisphere, there are too many of us (and there is no better way of saying this) religious wackos, who denies the existence that is not in the same realm as theirs.

it is a shame really; recently here in ontario, the premier has issued an act against bullying, while such law(ls) usually made me scuffed in laughter at their pathetic farce. It wasn't until a few days later, when a catholic group has come out and condemn the act for its agenda to teach homosexuality in school, in which that made me slam my fist down in pure anger. Are they kidding me? You are willing to let this happen just because you want to shove your belief into others?

It is things like this that make me have less and less faith in the people.

Screw the parents. Half of them are simple minded homophobes in the past that wants their kids to hold the same racist, and sexist believes that they hold.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2018
This is a major reason why I'm opposed to compulsory education altogether. Everybody wants to use the schools to push their agenda on our children. It's the perfect avenue to do it because it's a crime called truancy if you don't go along with it.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
The problem with not making it compulsory is that the people that need it most are the people with parents that would opt them out of it if it wasn't compulsory. So it's on the verge of useless if homophobic parents block their homophobic kids from actually learning anything.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2018
The problem with not making it compulsory is that the people that need it most are the people with parents that would opt them out of it if it wasn't compulsory. So it's on the verge of useless if homophobic parents block their homophobic kids from actually learning anything.

You would have to eliminate private schools and home schooling if you want to really make sure every kid is forced to hear your lessons.

People have a right to be homophobic if they wish.

The way to combat bullying is strict punishment for the offenders.

Important, yes, but not absolute. A child's welfare must take precedent over any other concern.

Child's welfare refers to basic health and safety. No one said anything about kids being malnourished or physically abused.

Years
  • Age 51
  • Seen Jul 22, 2016
The way to combat bullying is strict punishment for the offenders.

Would you be in favour of a charge of "contributing to the delinquency of a minor" against any school official who turns a blind eye to a student being bullied, whether that be a teacher or a principal?

Child's welfare refers to basic health and safety. No one said anything about kids being malnourished or physically abused.

Bullying is both psychological harm AND physical harm. So yes, we are definitely talking about physical abuse here.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2018

Would you be in favour of a charge of "contributing to the delinquency of a minor" against any school official who turns a blind eye to a student being bullied, whether that be a teacher or a principal?

Bullying is both psychological harm AND physical harm. So yes, we are definitely talking about physical abuse here.

The schools should be held legally accountable. They are not contributing to delinquency, however. Contributing is an active act, not a passive one. If a school official egged the bully on, that would fit the charge.

The parents aren't the ones physically harming anyone, so there is no basis to take away their rights.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
Years
You would have to eliminate private schools and home schooling if you want to really make sure every kid is forced to hear your lessons.

People have a right to be homophobic if they wish.
People should have a right to be homophobic.

People should not have the right to brainwash their kids into being homophobic.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
The entire education system is built upon teaching a set of views, ideals, values, and knowledge. No matter what is being taught, it can be seen as brainwashing.

Edit - Before I forget, you know how public education began? Brainwashing. Long time ago the puritans (I think) wanted to teach people to read so they could read the Bible. Brainwashing at its finest folks, and the fact that mandatory education is still around it a testament to it.

Know how to solve this issue? Get rid of mandatory education, and privatize education. Government is removed, and if the parents don't like what is taught then they can select another school that teaches values that they want their child to be brainwashed with. If the parents don't want their child to receive a education or they want to teach them themselves then they can do that as well.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2018
People should have a right to be homophobic.

People should not have the right to brainwash their kids into being homophobic.

Yes, they should.

Parents have the right to instill whatever values and beliefs they want in their children.

The school's job is to educate them in a non-biased manner, not to go over the heads of parents.

The entire education system is built upon teaching a set of views, ideals, values, and knowledge. No matter what is being taught, it can be seen as brainwashing.

Edit - Before I forget, you know how public education began? Brainwashing. Long time ago the puritans (I think) wanted to teach people to read so they could read the Bible. Brainwashing at its finest folks, and the fact that mandatory education is still around it a testament to it.

Know how to solve this issue? Get rid of mandatory education, and privatize education. Government is removed, and if the parents don't like what is taught then they can select another school that teaches values that they want their child to be brainwashed with. If the parents don't want their child to receive a education or they want to teach them themselves then they can do that as well.

I agree completely. Compulsory education is contrary to values of individual liberty and freedom that this nation was founded on.

Last edited:
Back