• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[TUT]Hacking the worldmap in Fr/Lg

Years
  • Seen Jun 24, 2023
Thanks. Helped me inserting my world map on a very comfortable way. I remember how to insert the map by following HackMews Guide, that was such a pain xD.

SPG

Pyroblock
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen May 4, 2013
when i try importing mew new map in unlzgba it says error image not indexed how do i fix this? if it helps here is my map

soraregionnewmap.png

Years
  • Seen Nov 2, 2016
You simply open the image in irfanview and decrease color depth to 16. The world map can only use 16 colors.

SPG

Pyroblock
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen May 4, 2013
can some one do this for me plz? it wont work for some resone ~_~

SPG

Pyroblock
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen May 4, 2013
That's kind of lazy if you ask me. :(

But, the problem with that is you don't get any learning experience. What step are you stuck on? Any errors? A screenshot?
i realy dont care... my specialty is ow editing mapping and movment scripts nothing to do with unlzgba (i can all so use yape and insert new pokemon but thats easy) but i have no errors i have a hard time under standing the last 2 steps (4 and 4 1/2 cuz 2 steps in one) sorry for grammer.... and when i do this i feel like i do this all wrong so ya....

Years
  • Seen Nov 2, 2016
i realy dont care... my specialty is ow editing mapping and movment scripts nothing to do with unlzgba (i can all so use yape and insert new pokemon but thats easy) but i have no errors i have a hard time under standing the last 2 steps (4 and 4 1/2 cuz 2 steps in one) sorry for grammer.... and when i do this i feel like i do this all wrong so ya....
Too bad then. No one will do it for you. Unlz is simple to use, so is Irfanview. And also, can't really call "ow editing mapping and movement scripts" specialties. If you don't care enough to even open a program and make two clicks, then there is no point to hacking.

Once more, as for indexing, it's really this simple:
open your image in the program irfanview
click image>decrease color depth
choose 16colors
uncheck floyd-steinbeck dithering
save

Last edited:

SPG

Pyroblock
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen May 4, 2013
ok no that the dick is out of me (sorry for the launguage) this happends (pic is veiwed in A-map)
myproblem.png

how do i fix this? i followed every single step exactle how it appears and it comes up like this (before yo say do it again i did it twice)

Shiny Quagsire

I'm Still Alive, Elsewhere
Years
ok no that the dick is out of me (sorry for the launguage) this happends (pic is veiwed in A-map)
myproblem.png

how do i fix this? i followed every single step exactle how it appears and it comes up like this (before yo say do it again i did it twice)

I'll excuse your language for now. (It's about 10x worse at my school. X( )

It looks like you inserted the graphics correctly, which is good. Now you need the tilemap, which I'm not sure you inserted. Go into NTME, and open your tilemap, and make sure it's in 8bpp mode, and save. Next go into UNLZ, and import your RAW. Click Write to ROM, and uncheck everything but export image. Now go to the image offset textbox, and paste a free space offset. !!Remember this offset!! Now this part wasn't well explained by the author.

Take your free space offset in notepad. I'll use an example of 123456, to clearly show you.

Now divide it into three even sections:

12 34 56

Now swap the first and last sections, and add 08:

56 34 12 08

Now you have a pointer! Now go into a Hex Editor (I recommend HxD. Just google it, and download it. Don't worry, it's completely free. ;)) In that last spoiler in the first post, (The one with the crazy numbers,) Locate your ROM Header. If you are using an English fire red, you'll use this one:

Code:
Search in: POKEMON FIREBPRE
$3F089C
$3F0AFC
$3F0C0C
$3F0CF0

Now take the first offset, and do what you did to the free space offset. This is called repointing.

3F089C

3F 08 9C

9C 08 3F 08

Now you would search for those hex values in a hex editor. (In HxD, press Ctrl+F, and select hex values instead of text string.) Search, and you should find the same exact value. Now take your free space pointer we made, (56 34 12 08) and replace the old value we found.

Reply if it worked or didn't work. ;)

SPG

Pyroblock
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen May 4, 2013
ok now this happends.....
problem.png

do you have skype or something so we dont fill this tread up with our conversation?

Years
  • Seen May 28, 2023
The red city tiles for me don't fit exactly! they are 8x8 (pixels) when i go to NTME they don't fit in one click (if you know what i mean) will it still work when you make flying permissions and the box-click thing (wat u use to choose where you fly)

mat1554

French Translator
Years
It's a good tutorial, but I have only one problem and if BIG ^^ On can change the pallet. If I export Palette Act with VisualBoy Advance, and I search in APE he cannot find pallet ?

Sorry for my bad english.

Lyzak

wishes he had a Hacking Team
Years
  • Seen Jan 19, 2012

The worldmap must be 208x144 or 192x144...
Also, your worldmap mustn't have more than 256 Tiles! If your worldmap has more difficult (!!!) tiles, you have to make another or change it.

1) 208x144 or 192x144? What makes the difference? The type of game?

2) The map cannot have more than 256 tiles? But the image you dumped off of unLZ has 320?

3) Can repeated "tiles" be rotations or reflections?

Years
  • Seen Dec 30, 2012
Er.. I thought this would be pretty straight forward but whenever I define a new offset for the map it glitches my title screen for some reason. :(

Open the Hex Editor and you rom.
Look into the list of lu-ho for the offsets of the old tilemaps.

Spoiler:

I need this.

Spoiler:

I'll take the first offset, the tilemap of the normal region.
Now, make the pointer of it.
[3F][00][F4] -> [F4][00][3F]+[08] -> F4003F08.
Search for it in your rom, and change the pointer, take your offset (mine was $810000 -> 00008108) and correct the old.
Thats it!

I really don't understand what this part is trying to say at all.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Dec 30, 2012
Ok redriders180 explained the first offset to me but I don't get how to do the rest.

I'm kind of hoping to get this done tonight, can anyone help me out?

Edit, ok I got the map to work and now I just need help with getting the borders back.

Just a few notes for people who may need help with this.

The tilemap has to be FR/LG WM for it to insert right.
And to correct the pallet search for this offset in APE 003EF2DE.
You may have to manually correct the colors instead of just importing the pallet you want.

I'm also told that there has to be a dark blue background on your tilemap for the borders to not disappear but I haven't gotten that part figured out yet.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jul 15, 2013
So Im alittle confused on what you do in paint? you said you put in your tiles, what do you mean by that Cuz i know what you mean by tiles.

Speedster

The Unknown
Years
Ok redriders180 explained the first offset to me but I don't get how to do the rest.

I'm kind of hoping to get this done tonight, can anyone help me out?

Edit, ok I got the map to work and now I just need help with getting the borders back.

Just a few notes for people who may need help with this.

The tilemap has to be 32x20 for it to insert right.
And to correct the pallet search for this offset in APE 003EF2DE.
You may have to manually correct the colors instead of just importing the pallet you want.

I'm also told that there has to be a dark blue background on your tilemap for the borders to not disappear but I haven't gotten that part figured out yet.
I'm not sure if you finally got it figured out but if you still need help post for it. :)

So Im alittle confused on what you do in paint? you said you put in your tiles, what do you mean by that Cuz i know what you mean by tiles.
You will place the tiles of the old FireRed map into paint. Take your map and separate it into 8x8 tiles which you will place over the old tiles. I hope that explains. If it doesn't you can ask.

Years
  • Seen Mar 15, 2015
I followed all the steps of the tutorial, but when I finish, there are a blue line should not be on the bottom of the world Map.

open your .raw file in hex editor then add 16 bytes in the end.
the total bytes should be 1216 not 1200.

I didn't understand , can someone please explain this step.

droomph

weeb
Years
I followed all the steps of the tutorial, but when I finish, there are a blue line should not be on the bottom of the world Map.

I didn't understand , can someone please explain this step.
Open up "HxD", "CrystalTile", "Hex Fiend", or whatever hex editor you use, add 16 bytes (probably 00s) to the end if the file is 1200 bytes long.

That probably explains the blue line, if you didn't do that.

Back