• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How seriously do you take competitive battling?

Years
  • Seen Mar 29, 2015
Okay, okay, I never expected to come up with another topic in this place. But I somehow did.

That aside, I'll make it as straightforward as it can be. How seriously do you take competitive battling of Pokémon? Is it something that you treat just like any other game? Do you fight your opponents as if your life depends on it, & if you lose, you feel as if something inside you has literally died? Or is it a balance of the two different worlds?

Volcanix769

Known as the Quilava Guy!
Years
Sometimes I tend to. I haven't been playing Pokemon Black that much, but sometimes I tend to do it, but not with Wi-Fi battles, with Random Matchup. I just treat it as like fun of some sort, to see my team win and strive.

If I lose because of the same team I use, I tend to act frustrated, which is why I try to use different teams, like a Drizzle team which 60% works which I am proud on.

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
I casually battle competitively on a simulator, if that makes sense. Battling on a simulator gives me a different feeling, different from playing the game with a handheld.

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
Years
I'm just gonna go ahead and say it whether you agree or disagree I don't care. I HATE when people flame other peoples teams. To me it doesn't matter what your team is, I can guarantee you (now this is a random team off the top of my head) Blastoise, Raichu, Arcanine, Gallade, Salamence, and Rhyperior (think that's how it's spelled) can beat ANY team in it's path with the right strategy. Power means NOTING in competitive battling. You can run Tyranitar, Dragonite, Metagross, Salamence, Garchomp, and Zapdos. Yea they may be powerful but I bet the first team could beat that team if used right. So to me competitive battling is just for fun, and just to see who's strategy works best. The power of a Pokemon don't mean anything if you just attack, attack, attack. You'll lose.

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
Power means NOTING in competitive battling.

Regardless of what you said that you wouldn't care, power DOES mean SOMETHING in competitive battling. A successful team has a combination of power and synergy. To be able to use these successfully, one must have a strategy in mind to win. Luck also plays a big factor in battling and often those who are lucky wins.

marcc5m

what
Years
I'm just gonna go ahead and say it whether you agree or disagree I don't care. I HATE when people flame other peoples teams. To me it doesn't matter what your team is, I can guarantee you (now this is a random team off the top of my head) Blastoise, Raichu, Arcanine, Gallade, Salamence, and Rhyperior (think that's how it's spelled) can beat ANY team in it's path with the right strategy. Power means NOTING in competitive battling. You can run Tyranitar, Dragonite, Metagross, Salamence, Garchomp, and Zapdos. Yea they may be powerful but I bet the first team could beat that team if used right. So to me competitive battling is just for fun, and just to see who's strategy works best. The power of a Pokemon don't mean anything if you just attack, attack, attack. You'll lose.

You should totally try battling 6 garchomp with a combee dude

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
Years
You should totally try battling 6 garchomp with a combee dude

Your a troller lol. Was Combee in that team I mentioned NO? A person in they're right mind wouldn't even use a Combee in competitive battling. Plus you obviously don't know what I was trying to say. Just cos you got a Garchomp on you team doesn't mean your gonna win. Attack alone won't get you the win. Also you must be blind as well cos I clearly stated STRATEGY in my post. Actually idk why I'm arguing with you cos this isn't even a valid argument.

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
Yeah.
I only really battle a friend of mine and it bothers me when he wins, considering he doesn't know any advanced Pokemon stuff.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
Power means NOTING in competitive battling.

Not necessarily. Power doesn't mean nothing. Power by itself may not score you a victory, but it and a combination of other factors including a good strategy will earn you wins. So technically, power isn't nothing, it does play a crucial role.

Was Combee in that team I mentioned NO? A person in they're right mind wouldn't even use a Combee in competitive battling.

How so? According to your previous claim, you said as long as a team has a good strategy behind them, then they can beat substantially stronger opponents. So, then, why wouldn't a team of combee win against a tougher team, if they had a better strategy?

In response to the topic, no. I'm not much of a competitive battler, and when I am it's only against my sister, whom of which just liked to play for fun.

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
Years
How so? According to your previous claim, you said as long as a team has a good strategy behind them, then they can beat substantially stronger opponents. So, then, why wouldn't a team of combee win against a tougher team, if they had a better strategy?QUOTE]

It's got little to no stats whatsoever, and I don't see it lasting long against anything. Pretty much any finely EV'd Pokemon will 1 hit KO it. You're also completely missing my point. I said in the first post I hate when people bash other peoples teams because they aren't the best Pokemon. I was basing that post off those 2 teams I mentioned. It's clear that the first team is weaker than the second team, but still able to beat the second team. That's if the user had good IV's and proper EV's not to mention a good moveset and with a good a good strategy. So Combee isn't even a valid discussion to my point.

DarkSaiyanGirl

Leviathan
Years
  • Seen Nov 26, 2012
I feel like many other people take it seriously. I try to build a good team and have a good battle but most of the players I come across are seriously over prepared with Pokemon strictly from the Uber/OU tiers and always use choice items. It annoys me that I have to conform to everyone elses way of battling coz if I try use my own strategy it's not even going to compare to the pre-built teams that you can just look up on the internet. Sure, I suppose it's the 'best' way to win but it makes for little personal customization - you're basically forced to do what everyone else is doing if you want to win or even last in battle. So to answer your question I try not to take it too seriously because I know that there's always gonna be people out there who know more and are more prepared and I'm very likely to lose. I don't own any choice items :S I would rather battle against friends over IR who are like me and prefer building their own unique teams and strategy.

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
Years
I don't take it seriously, I see no reason to get worked up over a competitive battle. Sometimes the battles aren't even fun because people are always using the same Pokemon over and over or uber teams. What's the fun in battling the same Pokemon over and over? I mean you don't gotta use a Raichu over A Zapdos or a Golem over a Rhyperior but spread your team out. There's more than 2 electric types and Ground/Rock types. Everyone acts like those are the only 2 Pokemon that belong to those types when theres plenty more you can use competitive. No you don't gotta use a Zebstrika or Jolteon, cos Ampharos works just fine.

I like to mix things up in my teams. I also don't just have 1 team, I have a whole box full. (well did recently reset game) My fire Pokemon may be Arcanine, Houndoom, Blaziken, etc but I use them according to my team. I usually take them out if I need speed, Sp. Atk, Attack, or both speed and Attack/Sp.Atk it just depends on my other team and if they're needed. Sometimes they aren't even needed. But lots of people just pick 6 Pokemon and stick to them and half of the other people use the same exact Pokemon. Me I'm different, you can't foreshadow my Pokemon cos I use so many.

So no I don't take it seriously, I usually like to battle my friends or friends I communicate with on Pokemon forums, and not to mention I got so many strategies for each team it don't make no sense. I have Attack, speed, and Defense on my team, and I think they are all very helpful incase I run into some trouble halfway through a battle.

Soar

n00b
Years
Sometimes i do. It depends on how i feel and such. Im im laddering on Pokemon Showdown, I usually use an alt for playing around with new sets. When im on my main i usually try my best and ladder with it :3

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
v seriously. :( I care way too much about winning and I do anything to win, which is why for a while I was kind of winning the PCX tourney until I slowed down, and still winning BTTD lmao :x When I lose I definitely get quite annoyed, as most seriously players would, especially if it's to something really dumb or some stupid hax.

Years
I don't take it seriously, as I know I don't know very much/don't have very much experience, so I don't expect to win most/all of the time. So instead of getting frustrated for not doing well at something I'm not experienced with, my attitude is just to have fun and to try and learn from the battle so i can be better for next time!

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
Years
I'm not really a competitive battler and I just started competitive battling just a few weeks back. I take it with moderate seriousness. Although I don't have much experience with this style of battling, I try my very best to create a winning team with winning strategies and will take note on what are my team(s)'s weaknesses and correct them so as to do better the next time round. I get mildly frustrated when I lose but I get over it fairly quickly; it isn't the end of the world. Competitive battling isn't the main thing I do when I play Pokemon after all. In the end, it's all just about having fun. :)

Back