• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How old is "too old"?

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Oct 26, 2013
There's no such thing as too old. I've never defined myself by what others thought, and people respect that. Moreover, the notion that Pokémon is just for little kids is absurd -- I can't tell you how many people I know in their late 20s who are loving the heck out of X/Y.

CrowSvenson

DarkTrainer
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Aug 24, 2016
There is no such thing as 'too old' for Pokemon, period. I foresee myself still a fan of Pokemon till the end of my days. Imagine an elderly woman sitting in a rocking chair by the window or resting in bed with a DS in her hands. Yeah, that's probably gonna be me.
Gramps plays Pokemon. He got me into it. Never too old, never too young.

Years
Hmm. I stopped showing off my pokemon to friends back in 6th grade. Of course now that I'm older, quite a few people in my age group (including myself) meet up to talk about it. I think there's a period in our lives (like, starting around 12 or 13) when it just don't seem "cool" anymore (even though we play it in secret), and then once we hit an older age where we just don't care as much, we go back to playing it without shame.

I personally don't think you can be "too old" for Pokemon. While the demographic is largely young kids (especially for the anime), I can see adults enjoying it as well. I mean hey, back when I got Yellow as a birthday present my mother got hooked on it.

NavyBlue

Hoenn Lover
Years
Lol. Yeah, I hate my middle school 'cause no one likes pokemon. Screw them, I will always stick to my games. Everyone's got GTA 5. Psh, please. I've got Pokemon X. :cool:

I'll be an old gramps showin' my grand-kids how to play Pokemon Emerald. :t364:

Years
  • Age 40
  • Seen Jun 4, 2014
I am 29, less than 2 months from being 30.

I play Pokemon still, and never was told that I was ever 'too old' to be playing it. But that could also just be because I'm often towering over other people. XD

[Lucian]

KANTO Champion
Years
Fear not! Come highschool all the cool kids shall play pokemon!

maybe for you, for me it was 7th grade, me and some friends brought a DS to school and were battling on Diamond and Pearl, and a small group were making fun of us. Although Pokemon is a game and theres no such thing as "too old" for games, but as you get older responsibilities cloud your time and you begin to drift away from games pokemon included.

Pilkie

Pokémon Breeder
Years
When I was in 9th grade people used to get all bent out of shape and ask how I could still play Pokémon. I would normally respond buy pulling out my SP and saying "Like this."

Soon after, people had more important things to worry about and I was free to play Pokémon without anyone bothering me about (besides the occasional teacher). I had a time when I thought I should stop playing because it was uncool, but my friend (who also played Pokémon at the time) said that if I am doing something I like and not hurting anyone, people shouldn't give a damn about me doing it. His wisdom saved me from making an awful mistake by stopping doing something I love just because other people thought I looked like a baby.

Years
  • Seen Dec 16, 2013
A couple years after Sapphire/Ruby were released, I remember kids at my school were starting to say Pokemon was stupid , then LG and FR came out and suddenly it was cool again. I was in 4thish grade at the time. Honestly, I was homeschooled half my life and the few friends I had didn't care that I played Pokemon. I've gotten a few people laughing at me when I say I still watch the anime, that's about it. But I've never been outright teased for liking Pokemon.

Sinjuda

Newbie Breeder
Years
Pokemon in middle school was ok but not big, but when i entered highschool( now 22) Pokemon was still big. I went to a lucky highschool where anime,gaming,pokemon etc was accepted. I remember having tables at lunch for Magic,Pokemon, And what not. But seems these last 2 gens its become more big.

Also going to pick up my Pokemon game at local gamestop alot of people were at least 16+ even in their 30s playing it.

Marionz

New to 6th Gen
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Dec 27, 2013
im 22 going 23 and still hooked on pokemon... god, please let the other young adults and teen wannabe adults to know how much fun pokemon can be.

Years
  • Seen Mar 4, 2014
People started saying it was for babies in like...5th-6th grade for me. I'm in 8th grade and still playing though, and a few of my friends are into it to some extent.

Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2023
I really don't think that it is ever too old. Kids at my high school play pokemon all the time whether it be on their DS or phone. It's just a game, I don't think that it will ever be too old.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
Years
I'll be playing pokemon in my 90's, just you wait and see. XD That is if I'm not dead by then. I don't really care how old I am. Pokemon has been with my long before my early teens. It's a part of my life that I will keep forever.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Aug 1, 2021
I'll be playing pokemon in my 90's, just you wait and see. XD That is if I'm not dead by then. I don't really care how old I am. Pokemon has been with my long before my early teens. It's a part of my life that I will keep forever.

This, I've been playing since Red and Blue came out when I was in second grade, and I plan on playing until either I die, or the franchise fades away...even then I'd likely still play the older games.

There will always be those that will tell you it's for kids when you grow up, there will be those that will never stop playing. There will even be people who stop playing it, say in high school because they feel like they're too old, but suddenly in college they're into it like they never lost interest. Stick without until you no longer enjoy it, who cares what anyone else thinks of you for playing?

Years
I wouldn't say 'too old' but when I was in the Army I heard the A-Button sounds and thought, "Pokemon? Seriously?"

Then there was one time in secondary school (think when I was 15 or 16) when I joined in the laughing at other people who were playing the TCG. Man, my interests sure did change.

Years
I feel like the reason Pokemon is laughed at in the middle school years, is because either you're young and don't understand Pokemon that well and you're just messing around (applies more to the TCG but ya know), or you're older and you're very knowledgeable about it. As kids go into puberty they feel the need to discriminate.

Years
In hindsight, now that I think about the TCG incident, that was pretty hypocritical of all of us - we were circulating bootleg anime DVDs at the same time.

ShieldWolf27

18 year vet
Years
I'm 24, married, and have a baby on the way. I'm still hooked on the games, especially SoulSilver. My wife loves it, I will teach my child to love it. I don't think I'll ever be to old.

Back