• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon: Pristine Version

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkDoom3000

Super Pokemon Eevee Edition
Years
overlapping trees have always bugged me. makes no sense to have them, but nearly all of the fangames done in 4gen style have them :/

EDIT: i know thats how it's done in gen4, still bugged be because it's more noticible with the lack of "3D".

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
overlapping trees have always bugged me. makes no sense to have them, but nearly all of the fangames done in 4gen style have them :/
Probably because that's how they were mapped in the 4th gen. Have a look at New Bark Town. And as I stated before, our trees are in the same perspective.

Rossay

Quack quack
Years
Well, I have to query this. A lot of the tiles in this game are actually 3D models, but we use them in much the same way as HGSS does; by not seeing all the perspectives. So I don't understand why we should make the trees not overlap like this since the perspective is much the same as it is in HGSS. I'm not arguing your point here, just not sure of your logic is all.

Yoel might be using his 3D modelling software to make the tiles, but, in the end, they are TILES. They aren't inserted into the game as models. They could overlap if the perspective changed as you walk round them; but it doesn't and hence the tiles shouldn't overlap.

The Dewitty

Pixel artist, professional leo
Years
Yoel might be using his 3D modelling software to make the tiles, but, in the end, they are TILES. They aren't inserted into the game as models. They could overlap if the perspective changed as you walk round them; but it doesn't and hence the tiles shouldn't overlap.

We're going for a style similar to the official tiles, but orthographically viewed. So yeah, they are not 3D models, however they should look like they are.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
The perspective of the trees in HGSS & this game are the same, therefore we align them the same.

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
Years
That debate about the trees overlapping came out as soon as fan games used that 4th gen style starting with D/P.
I think it looks great guys.
I was worried the tiles reminded me of Gavin's other game (I was thinking of this image: http://fav.me/d4cegtw - nice little DA plug there lol). Clearly they are not the same colors but when I first saw the comparison shot posted earlier, I got that vibe. That worry isn't really there anymore ha.

Atomic Reactor

I have an idea! What if instead of having them overlapping all on the same side, you could change it up every once in a while? Have it overlap on one tree on the right, or one tree on the left, and then have trees where the leaves like... mesh together. Not overlap, just are intertwined? I think it would really make the trees look nice :)

Years
  • Seen Jul 5, 2013
The new heroine looks so beautiful.
I really really like her!
You've done a good job with her!

The Dewitty

Pixel artist, professional leo
Years
I have an idea! What if instead of having them overlapping all on the same side, you could change it up every once in a while? Have it overlap on one tree on the right, or one tree on the left, and then have trees where the leaves like... mesh together. Not overlap, just are intertwined? I think it would really make the trees look nice :)

That wouldn't be an option, since we are really going for something as close to the official games as possible. Thanks for the comment, though.

Atomic Reactor

What..Why? Dew, you can do so much better than the official games, why would you want to make a game at there level, when you can exceed it so easily...

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
It wouldn't work. It would mean that some trees would have to have both sides of the tree overlapping the trees either sides of them in some places. I see what you mean, but it would look silly since some trees would stand out above all the others.

Atomic Reactor

Well a majority of them would have to mesh together, then you can make some stand out and some not. I mean, it's fine it was just an idea. But I'm kind of disappointed that you guys want it to be just like the official games.. :/

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
It's just a tree edge, and I disagree with your suggestion, it wouldn't work because it would look ridiculous. However, I'm always open to interpretation, so I'll go ahead and do a sample image.

trees.png

Cons:

• Takes longer to map/slows release time
  • Looks untidy
  • Perspectives look strange in places
  • Does not actually look much different
Pros

• Deviates from official style.
And the way we map them.

So, I'd like to put to rest that notion. It's not going to make the maps look any better. I personally like the trees and they were done in HGSS.

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
Years
Seriously, keep the trees like the official games. That example posted above by Gavin is hideous.

Cool gif Dew, looks fantastic. The map looks very interesting. Very strange looking layout that I'm looking forward to exploring.

Atomic Reactor

Yeah i guess the idea looked better on paper XD

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
you made those tiles your self awsome.
and is there walking with pokemon in the game ,i saw it on the update.
Just to answer your question, yes, we hope to fully implement a functional script where your starter Pokemon follows you. Hopefully with interesting additions. As for now, your starter does follow you, we just wish to build upon it!

Ookiiushidesu

Lead Mapper/Eventer at Gen0
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen May 27, 2016
Is there an estimated release time on this?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back