• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How often do you restart?

Killjoy

"He was a laser fish."
Years
A lot. I've probably restarted HG 15+ times since I got it about 2 years ago. Less for most games, but still 8-10 times for Black/White. I usually send my teams over to White where I keep all my Pokémon before I restart

Rewy

untitled follower
Years
I restart my games a lot unless they have something in value on the save file. Like events or just the entire pokedex filled out... I find great joy on re-starting the games at times, especially if I just do it spontaneously instead of planning bit-by-bit on which pokemon to use and entire movesets...

That said, I scavenge copies of my games from sales around here to save money. Or get them as second-hand.

phonastik

Strange Quark
Years
Since I have all the games, I tend to keep one game with a permanent file and the other for restarting. Blue, Silver, Sapphire, LeafGreen, Pearl, HeartGold, White and White2 are my permanent ones; when I restart the others I trade my team over to the most convenient one.

ahmet476

standing around
Years
  • Seen Dec 31, 2014
I don't remember restarting much but I sometimes wish I had some of the pokemon I caught / bred (lv. 1 riolu, togepi egg, perfectly bred misdreavus with a planned moveset, a bagon and what not) at the start of the game, so I could try something fresh other than starting with one of the starters. I never did that though as far as I can remember.

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
I restart when I feel like being nostalgic and replaying the beginning of the game. Such great (and confused) memories wrapped up in those low-level battles. <3

I recently reset both Heartgold and Soulsilver. I traded my level 85 Charizard over to SS so I can rip through the gyms more easily. Partially because I want to soft-reset for shiny legendary Pokemon.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
I don't really restart my 2 DS games since my Heart Gold is my main game and leveling my Pokemon, completeing the Pokedex and whatnot.

Same goes for my Diamond, It's my breeding center that I use with my Starter Adoption thread.

As for my FireRed, I'm using it for challenges, so that's the game I'm using for to restart :)

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
Years
I never restart any of my Pokemon games unless if they reset themselves. If I want to start a new game, I use an emulator or ROM (this goes for every game unless if they have more than one save file)

:t354:TG

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Not that much in Generation Five given that I value my Pokemon (except when SRing for Victini)! Nor did I at all in Generation Four because I only had two of those games and starting all over again would mean a lot of trading. ;( BUT IN GENERATION THREE I RESET RUBY AND SAPPHIRE A LOT and that's why I'm sick of them :(

ShieldWolf27

18 year vet
Years
I restart once every two-three years usually. I fill the Pokedex, transfer certain Pokemon to other games, then restart and play through and add to the Pokedex.

Years
  • Seen Feb 4, 2013
I usually never restart, going back to when I played the game hardcore we have to look at Red/Yellow/Gold.

Back then I had 3 copies of yellow (2 were borrowed from friends who just never asked for them back), 1 red and when it was released I had 1 gold. I would restart the Red + 2 copies of yellow but never my original yellow (save game is still alive, don't know how long it will last though). As for gold... I still had my original save file this year, but when I turned it on today I found that the battery had run out and my save was gone, disapointing as I had put in hundreds of hours catching the 3 legendary dogs and training my team etc.

So I just started my new game on Pokemon Gold today, I replaced the battery inside the cartidge... Almost makes me wish I had got Silver, so that I could transfer the pokemon between each every couple of years, replace the battery and start new, that way I could be almost sure to never lose them.

Moving on to Black 2, I still havent finished my original playthrough, don't own any other generation 5 games so will not be able to restart my game without losing my pokemon, I would like to though playing through with a dream team was one of the biggest reasons to restart. Playing Red with Charmander, Bulbasaur, Squirtle and Gyarados/Abra ready was definitely I enjoyed doing. Seems I have no way of doing it with current generations, as i'd need another ds and 5th gen game.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2020
I don't restart as often as I used to.

With the third gen (my first), I ended up trading all the good stuff into Emerald, and I've restarted Sapphire and Fire Red (my two favorites) I-have-no-idea-how-many times. I did the same thing with DPPt - trading the good stuff into Platinum - but I've only restarted Diamond twice and Pearl once. I never really got into HGSS. With the fifth, I just beat the E4 for the first time in White a week or two ago, and am now early in my first playthrough of Black, so there's no telling, though I'm having enough fun that I'm sure I'll restart at least one of them sometime.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
In Generation 2 I restarted a lot because either I was finished with the run or I just felt like it. Now with the newer games like Generations 4 and 5, it's impossible for me to restart because I've obtained/breeded a lot of Pokemon (especially rare ones) and it just forces me to get a new game. xD

Years
-Yellow: Once, because I got it back from my friend after selling it to him and didn't like what he'd done with my file.
-Crystal: I've restarted about 10 times, always either because of getting bored, having beaten the game, or the battery running out of power.
-Sapphire: Never restarted while I owned it.
-Ruby: Never.
-Emerald: Twice - once to prove to myself that I could restart a game I'd gotten incredibly far in and once to start a mono-Pokemon challenge.
-LeafGreen: Once, because I found it after years lost and didn't like the fact that I was named "Ketchum."
-Colosseum: I have two memory cards. On one, I've kept the same file since I started, but on the other I've restarted twice.
-XD: Same as Colosseum.
-Mystery Dungeon Blue: Once.
-Pearl: Never.
-SoulSilver: Three times, all for monotype challenges.
-Black: Never.
-Black 2: Never.

Back