• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Challenge Ideas & Discussion

Do you feel more people should get into Nuzlockes?

• Yes

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • No

Votes: 12 63.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

11wildy

Me!
Years
I have never owned one of the first gen games, I started with Crystal.. That's probably why I love it so much! :) It's a great game to start on, since it has both an easy and difficult way to play it :P.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 20, 2024
I fell in love with HG/SS because of the first Pokémon in your party following you around. It brought back sweet memories from my Pokémon Yellow Days xD

Oh yeah o.o
The Eeveelutions Challenge is now officially available for all Gens o.o

Rewy

untitled follower
Years
Yay! Looking good. =) I'll probably enter once I've freed up a game for it, since I prefer to play on hard copies.

Oh and you could add that to the BW2 the fact that you can catch Eevee in the wild there from the Castellia Gardens. The one from Amanita is after E4 (with the Dream World ability).

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 20, 2024
I never played B2/W2 so thanks for the tips @w@ Imma go update o.o
ok, corrected that mistake xD

Last edited:

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
Years
Necrum came up with an interesting idea the other day...monotyping Conquest. What counts as the end though? Just the first storyline? All stories completed? That's like 60 hours or something. I need to check my game. Not just that, some storylines are horribly restricted (namely the Ninja competition...dragon, poison and ghost. Bleh). Skip? Plus stuff stops linking/leveling, training takes forever... Hmmmmm. Ideas?

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I've never played Conquest, so idk the end of it. But I do like the idea of monotyping it. Since I'm sure the rules would need some bending around to fit the game, I think having a separate thread for it would be fine (use my prefixes pretty please?!).

Rewy, I love your signature! :) Such a neat way to display and name your teams!

BlueShellBeast

Rodent User
Years
Oh yeah o.o
The Eeveelutions Challenge is now officially available for all Gens o.o
Sweet. I think that I'll enter it once I finish some of my other challenges... I never liked Gen 4 (besides HG/SS), and all of my Ultimate challenges hit a rock once I hit the Sinnoh region.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 20, 2024

I second that o.o I wish I had such talent when it comes to drawing & stuff xD
nicely done xD

Sweet. I think that I'll enter it once I finish some of my other challenges... I never liked Gen 4 (besides HG/SS), and all of my Ultimate challenges hit a rock once I hit the Sinnoh region.

And yay! more challengers are always welcome xD

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Well, Rewy didn't draw them, those are the Conquest pictures. XD Unless...Rewy...are you...an ARTIST?!

Rewy

untitled follower
Years

Well, Rewy didn't draw them, those are the Conquest pictures. XD Unless...Rewy...are you...an ARTIST?!

Some people like to say that I am, though as a skeptical person I don't quite trust that judgement.
(Family and close friends are bad to use for grading your talent - because they're either 100% supportive or against it, whether you're good at all or not.)

But yeah - I suppose I can make art, but not sprites or completely digital things. I prefer to draw by pencil rather than on my tablet.
(Sprite recoloring doesn't count since that's just switching pixel palettes. As you can see from the gyarados.)

I do have a Weasyl and deviantArt account, but I don't go around shoving it to everyone's faces.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 20, 2024
I knew it! xD

Well, I think you're talented ^^
Oh and I got a new challenge in store @w@ working on it now @w@
Decided my SoulSilver could use some shaking xD so I thought I'd share the challenge with everybody o.o
Oh and don't worry, it's gonna be for all gens such challenge can be done in ^^"

Years
Hm guys I've been wondering... how does one make a successful challenge? To be honest I'm feeling a little frustrated :/ just because I think both of my challenges are interesting ideas, but yet I'm pretty much the only one to ever post updates for them. Is it because they're too complex? It seems that people enjoy signing up for challenges that only limit the kind of pokemon you can use, by any factor. I'm not trying to call anyone out or anything, I'm just wondering.. what is it that makes a challenge attractive?

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Good question. I think making it available to all games is one way to make a challenge successful, though that's not the one and only key. Not having overly complicated rules are another thing, and having an attractive and easy to read format helps. Being an active OP is also a plus, you can ask NecrumWarrior about that. The monotype challenge has been doing much better since he took control of it, and it shows. Having a new and interesting concept is good too, but sometimes the concept might be a bit too restrictive or strange for some. For example, my Favorite Challenge is only for gen V, but it's still pretty popular since you get to use your, well, favorites.

Challenges that are too similar to something else don't always seem to go over well either, but I really think the main key is to not make a challenge too overly complicated. It needs to be explained well and easy to follow and appeal to people (which, if you write and explain things well and are persuasive, you can easily get people to want to participate I think). Also, challenges that rely on other challengers don't go well either, so trade challenges, tourney-style (though we don't have any, and it's clear why), rivaling other members, etc don't go over well. Same with challenges that only allow the OP to assign Pokemon. That's too restrictive, plus we don't know if they'll stay or not, cause then who else is gonna assign things?

That's just from my observations anyway. :) I think this post has gotten a bit too long. XD

Rewy

untitled follower
Years
Having a challenge available for all games is always a plus, but what really ticks me off (probably due to my job) is having obnoxiously large font sizes or no proper layout at all on the opening post where you're supposed to explain the rules.
Also capslock makes it even more redundant. I know some people don't read the rules properly or just skim them over when they sign up, but having to scroll up and down when reading the rules is tedious.

How the opening post looks gives the impression of what type of a player the creator is also.
If it's hastily put together and uses multiple formatings along with no real "list" of rules, the challenge won't appeal.
Bulks of text are irritating to read through especially if you have to search for the numbers for rules.

side note: why do all wild shinies decide to die on me?!! D8 Last time it was a Shiny Oddish on my Emerald and I killed it with Scratch... Now a Shiny Rattata... that I killed with Leech Life that wasn't even a STAB... Whyyyyyyyyy......

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 20, 2024
I'm sorry about the shnies Rewy DX
I wouldn't know what that's like since I only ever ran into 1 wild shiny @w@ when I was doing my Bug Monotype on Emerald @w@ and it happened to be a Nincada and I caught it >u< I kinda just spammed pokeballs, out of fear I might faint it @w@

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
When I first joined the Challenges section, I started a challenge some of you may remember called the Slow Learner challenge. For all intents and purposes, it had the makings of a successful challenge. A unique concept that brought legitimate challenge to the game by forcing you to be unable to delete any move once they were learned. While it did have an okay run, it never really picked up the steam I expected it too. And I even found myself quitting the challenge, as it really wasn't my type of challenge. The Vault Hunter's challenge is my second challenge to date, and is mostly kept afloat by me and TwilightBlade. I can only attribute this to the fact that less people in challenges are really fans of the Borderlands series that I based the challenge on. It was also fairly complicated, though I would say not overly so, and required a bit of research in order to build a team. Ultimately, simplicity seems to be the key to a successful thread concept wise. Rules tend to need a bit of intricacy in order to prevent people from exploiting loop holes, something I learned while in charge of the Monotype challenge.

Ultimately, there's really no knowing just what is gonna make a successful challenge. Unless you are running one of the big four (Monotype, Solo, Random, Nuzlocke) there is really no way to guarantee success. All you need is a little luck.

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years
Ultimately, there's really no knowing just what is gonna make a successful challenge. Unless you are running one of the big four (Monotype, Solo, Random, Nuzlocke) there is really no way to guarantee success. All you need is a little luck.
Having a handful of committed challengers like I have in the Monocolor Challenge, which has a very similar setup to the monotype challenge, also helps, the Monocolor was even voted the best challenge of 2012 here! shamelessly toots own horn

Years
  • Seen Mar 1, 2013
If a challenge has been non-active for nearly a month, are you allowed to make an V2 of that certain challenge??

~R~

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Challenges go inactive after two months, not one. So if you want to participate, you can post in it as long as the last post isn't two months old. If the thread owner is inactive, you can talk to them about taking over the challenge. If they don't reply within about three days, then you can have it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back