• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen "Boulders, levers, switches oh my!"

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
Throughout both series of games we've encountered the well known boulder push puzzles, the uncommon level/switch puzzles, rock climbing puzzles, some surfing/waterfall puzzle, cave and forest mazes and even ice sliding mazes. Did you find at all, any difficulty in passing these puzzles? Did you enjoy solving them? Did they add a little extra to the game in your opinion? Or did you prefer if you didn't have to go through the hassle and frustration of trying to solve these puzzles. (Which some were arguably quite tricky).

Share your experience with some of the Pokemon World's puzzles! This is not a discussion for Gym Leader Puzzles, if you search around this forum you'll find a juicy thread that discusses this!

The only puzzle I really think I felt I struggled to solve was the ice puzzle along Ice Path in Johto, HGSS. On the original GBC it was particuarly troublesome, and this carried for the mostpart into HGSS. It was easier naturally for me to solve this puzzle, due to solving it previously, but at some stages it still angered me!

bobandbill

one more time
Years
I can't say any puzzle gave me trouble, but that's in part to a few things. Firstly I felt the new puzzles were not hard; Bugsy's was neat but simple, Morty's change was easier especially if you purposefully left the gym (lights come back on =/) and Pryce's was fairly simple. The most challenging of the new puzzles was probably either Clair's or Blue's gym, and the latter was partly because you don't know where to go at the end as it's off-screen; once you see it it's simple imo.

And the old puzzles? Dead easy for me as I remembered thanks to my obsessive memory from playing GSC many times. Ice path I had memorised for instance, and not purposefully! It is just in my memory; I recalled which ways to turn and was at the end before I knew it. Still liked having the puzzles there all the same; part of the nostalgia after all (and why small changes like to Pryce's gym was a minor disappointment for me), and challenging I bet for those who haven't played gsc before.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
Wait... you got lost in Eterna Forest? That one's easy to get out of!
Now we know it's easy to navigate through. But you can imagine for a beginner in any game, will find themselves lost at some point or another! And, Eterna forest was quite large and confusing, especially with some walkways looking very similar; although, I didn't have any difficulties myself.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
I love the Ice Path... now that I can get through it. The first five million times, however, were just torturous. If I didn't have a strategy guide back in the GSC days, I'd probably have thrown my Game Boy at the wall. Thankfully, the amount of times I did traverse the cave successfully meant that the route was ingrained in my brain by the time HGSS came around, so all of the joys and none of the torture happened! :D

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
I never liked navigating Whirl Islands or Mt. Mortar simply because of the sheer size of both caves and the multiple entrances. And Mt. Silver was 100 times more annoying than it was in GSC. They threw in way too much Rock Climbing in that place.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
I got completely lost in the Whirl Islands countless times :p As for puzzles, I don't really remember many of them but I don't remember the Ice Path being hugely difficult. I think Seafoam Islands was probably most difficult for me (tbh I can't really remember them, but I always have trouble there) so I'm gonna go with them. Other than that I really don't remember many puzzles but like I said, I don't remember having too much trouble with the Ice Path x]

Rainbow Arcanine

now known as aslan
Years
The puzzles really add a challenge to the game itself. There were a few puzzles that use to stump me, for example the Whirl Islands. That was frustrating, running back and forth without flash trying to figure out where I was. Eventually I checked a walkthrough and finally found my way to Lugia.

Ice Path... that's the place I dread exploring every time. On my first playthrough of Heartgold, I spent a good couple of hours sliding around on the ice trying to get Waterfall. Then spending another hour, navigating my way out :P

Most of the strength puzzles and rock smashing ones are easy though xD. Only a few seconds of thought and I continued on my merry way. Eterna Forest wasn't hard either, although I must admit on my first try it was confusing.

Back