• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I don't wanna live in the modern world...

von Weltschmerz

the first born unicorn
Years
  • Seen Feb 18, 2013
Cookie if you know what song that is from ;3

Anyway... if you could live in any other time period when would it be, and why? Are there any reservations you have about this choice??

For me... it would probably be somewhere along the lines of 17th to 19th century America. I really wouldn't wanna be drafted into any wars... but I feel that an America with some integrity would be better than this insidious regime that currently presides. Plus I believe technology has made us over connected and undermined our own self reliance. I'd much rather ride horses, send letters,and live in the much more meritocracized(made up word btw :o) world rather than the superfluous and materialistic society today that has an unhealthy obsession for it's own appreciation.

Anyway... how about you guys?

Sassy Milkshake

It's ok to cry.
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 10, 2013
I'm content with the world I'm living in now. But I'd definitely live in the future if I had to choose. Lets go 28th century. I like surprises, and going back in time I know what to expect. Going into the future things'll be different, whether it be for better or worse, and I think that's one of the things I'll miss most about dying: not being able to see what humans can do given time.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
Probably now or about 8 or so years ago.. mid-2000s were pretty booming and we still had fairly fast internet and cellphone capabilities.. some great games came out at that time, not to mention the economy was a lot better than it is now IMO. I'd like to take over the skillsets and mind I have now though. I would do things a lot differently and enjoy my youth more. But hey! Live and let learn!

I choose then because it's a lot freer of discrimination and sexism and etc than if we went further back.

Dreg

Done after the GT.
Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2016
Like I've said before, I'd go back to the early 90's, and see myself being born. I think it would come as a surprise to my Ma when I show her the passport, as well as the "mark". But also, because TV stuff was good back then and I think I would love getting back to playing on the old C64, Master System and Genesis, even playing against my younger self. How awesome would that be?

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
I'm cool with the present. (:
Going back in time (if that means I'm my younger self) would definitely not be enjoyable for me. If I'm allowed to speak to my past self, though, I might have some choice words about a decision I made. But hey, who am I to tamper with my own future?

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
I wouldn't mind living in 1946 when World War II caused a boom in America's economy, throwing us into the ranks of the superpowers of the world, and an expansive one at that. I can only imagine what it'd be like.

Years
Generally, the further back in the past you go the less I want to live there. Disease and filth, war, sexism, hatred and intolerance, rampant superstitions. Yeah. Take me to the future where things are better than today.

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
Years
The old man in me wants to say "perpetual 90's", what with the rose-tinted glasses and all (something I try to fight aganist, but my best memories come from my childhood, so it's very hard).

And yet, I'm not really sure. If I go too far back, I'm subject to racism. And the future scares me a bit. And I don't mean "uncertainty" scares, I mean like sci-fi horror stuff like big brother literally being everywhere (with the way people act and react on social networks, you can hardly do anything now without someone jumping down your throat or suing you), wars because of too much unresolved tension, overpopulation and the use of resources becoming a big honking deal, on and on. Ugh. The present is not painting a very pleasant future for me, and I usually don't accentuate the negative. And even if none of this "big scary" stuff happens in my lifetime, I really don't want to put future generations through it.

*shudder* I don't want to live on this planet anymore. Can my answer be "start a new life on Mars?" Once I get the kinks of living on another planet ironed out, everyone who isn't uptight about everything is invited. :D

Hannah

beep bop boop
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Nov 16, 2021
I'm not quite sure about the date, but I want to go back to the time when people wore puffy, Victorian dresses and carriages were considered as cool.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
Is it bad that I'd just go back to the 90s? Everything felt more magical in the 90s.

I guess that's because I went and grew up and was a kid in the 90s, but even when I look at movies from back then with the terrible fashion I think "yeah those were the days"

TheFattestSnorlax

New year, new possibilities
Years
It's bad enough to go back, as I love the new technology we have these days. But I would go and see what the future is like.

Aeon.

Carrion
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 22, 2016
I don't want to go back. I want to go forward. Something like, 2812 and see how society will evolve... if it's even still around.

Back