• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Spriter's Showcase Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Mar 24, 2022
34f0g3d.jpg
<-- Hydraptor - Water / Flying

34fheaa.jpg
<-- Flyvern - Bug / Dragon

nl5zio.jpg
<-- Subzeroth - Ice / Bug

icisyd.jpg
<-- Volcanium - Fire / Steel

I'm hoping to use these sprites (and a lot more) in a Hack of Fire Red, and i'd like some feedback on my 3rd gen Spriting Ability :) I'm pretty new to this, but I'm tryign to make a good-quality fakemon hack. Speaking of which, I need assistance since just can't so 150 sprites (and 150 back-sprites as well) on my own, can someone tell me the correct forum to ask for help? Thanks :)

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Had this in my storage and almost forgot about it D=

flaminja.png

Its my Fakedex's Regional Bird, Normal/Flying Flaminja.

Flamingo + Ninja. The body was supposed to be vest like, but I couldn't get that to work and the head was supposed to have a headband...But couldn't do that either TTwTT.

Had a friend help me with some minor edits.

Years
  • Seen Sep 30, 2012
First Attempt at a "Fakemon"

I've never sprited anything before, and I did this using my netbook's trackpad.

Any/all feedback is welcome and I'll be posting more later on.
5v0ygy.png

1. Oreone ; The Ore Pokemon
>Rock/Steel
>Ability: Sturdy or Levitate
Formed from ore deep in caves and mountains, it has an od mixture of metal and rock that alludes even the best Geologists. Some species of have small rare Earth magnets embedded in them.
2. Dueore ; The Ore Jaw Pokemon
>Rock/Steel
>Ability: Sturdy or Levitate
Many species of Dueore have magnets embedded in them to draw in prey such has Magnemite and Geodude into their jaws. Geologists say the metal is nearly has hard as diamond.

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
Years

Oh, monkeys! They look cute, but not completely like monkeys. I think because of the body of Bronkey, I think it looks less like a monkey. Maybe it's just me. XD

So, lets see what I can get out of not working on pixel art in forever!
So, I'd like to start off with that they're nice sprites, I like the fact it looks somewhat the style of Pokemon sprites in the third generation games. I always liked that style of shading for the sprites. I hope that's what you were aiming for! I think the sprite would have been posed differently, shaded and outlined differently if it was meant to be a sprite style of that of the fourth and fifth generation of Pokemon sprites.

I'd have to say, though, there's some unnecessary shading and a great use of dithering. When I mean "great use", I just mean a lot of use of the shading style. It looks nice until it's over done. Unfortunately, I think Bronkey's sprites has too much dithering. That, and the values for the shades and colors look really weird together. The shading on its stomach, tail-leaf and face doesn't look like they're shaded from the same lightsource. The shading on the stomach, I think, is not needed. It looks out of place, I'd advise to not shade so much on it's stomach.

The value of the colors you used to shade around the ears looks funky. I can't see the grey ish peach color as much due to the dark lime green color beside it.

I think Bronkey's body shape is really circular. o..o Is it meant to be like that? It doesn't look like it has much of a neck.

Now, onto Moncree. I think this has a much better body shape than Bronkey. I want to say, before going onto shading and such - I think that purple color for the shiny sprite isn't such a good idea. It's probably the same value as the brown shading, so it's kind of hard to see it. Actually, taking a look into the color and shadings, I think in both sprites, the shading colors are the same values so it's really hard to see the colors on the knees, for example. Both of the shadings for green and the peachy yellow(?) have the same values, so it's kind of hard to seem them clash together like that. x..x

For shading, I think the shading under the leaves (under or on the neck) is not necessary, due to its shading and light source. Also, I think the brown outline against the leaves (I think) on its neck should be darker. Hmm, judging by the face and body shading, I would have less of the lime green shading color on the knees. The shading on the knees make it look as if the light is coming from above it.

Uh, that was a lot more than I wanted to write, but I hope this helped you out! Sorry I wrote a lot! =x

Sorry I didn't respond sooner. XD Firstly, thanks a lot. Your response means a lot to me. :3 I... actually agree with most things. XP I did notice the shiny colours for Moncree does blend in a little too much, and I see what you mean about the dithering. XP Thanks for all the other tid-bits too. :D And don't worry about writing too much; writing in more detail definitely helps a lot. :D And yeah, the circular look was intentional for Bronkey. XD I might shape it a bit more though so it seems a little bit more natural. :)

Years
  • Seen Mar 24, 2022
Doesn't anyone reply to questions in this thread? I was asking for help in my previous post... errr... 2 or 3 days ago now, but still nobody has helped me.

danaxe

I long for kyurem powerz
Years
here is my first sprite
terrible, but
cc please

2ewjqky.png

i call it potag potato+bag!

it is rubbish but is my first completly scratch

even the pallete!

so some cc please

danaxe

I long for kyurem powerz
Years
rodruigez, that left arm needs to lighten up, try to make the sleeve look like it is going is the wind or something

hero's and cons,
i dislike the bug ice on as it's eyes look rather out of place,
i also dislike the water flying one as it looks like you made a fusion of the 3 legendary birds and retyped it.
however i rather like the other 2 so

keep it up!

Last edited:

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
Years
Sorry I didn't respond sooner. XD Firstly, thanks a lot. Your response means a lot to me. :3 I... actually agree with most things. XP I did notice the shiny colours for Moncree does blend in a little too much, and I see what you mean about the dithering. XP Thanks for all the other tid-bits too. :D And don't worry about writing too much; writing in more detail definitely helps a lot. :D And yeah, the circular look was intentional for Bronkey. XD I might shape it a bit more though so it seems a little bit more natural. :)

I finally got around to editing it. XD I decided to still keep it quite circular as that's really what my original concept for it was anyway. xD I did edit the shape though to make it more 'realistic'. I also edited the palette and shading too. :D

Old=
bronkey_by_superjub-d5emo11.png

New=
bronkey_v2_by_superjub-d5fmetf.png

Now to do the evolution. xD
Also, yay, 2000th post. :D

EDIT: I also made a backsprite for Bronkey. I've also updated Moncree too. ^^
bronkey_backsprite_by_superjub-d5frnss.png

Old=
moncree_by_superjub-d5emo42.png

New=
moncree_v2_by_superjub-d5fs40z.png

Also, after looking at it, I might still adjust the palette a little to make it stand out slightly more, but eh... I think you can really see the difference so far. :D

Last edited:

Mavy

I <3 Zombies
Years
My first Sprite work =^.^=

Who knew something so small could take 4 hours...
This is the first real sprite work I've done, I just wanted to practice as well as make an avatar (kill two birds with one stone) ^_^ and it turned out pretty good for my first try, I think.

blackmoonflower

You won't like me if I'm angry
Years
here is my first sprite
terrible, but
cc please

I don't mean to sound harsh, but there's quite a lot that can be improved. Assuming this is supposed to be a fakemon, here's some crit for ya.

1. It's flat. It looks like a 2-dimensional object. Pokemon sprites are supposed to be angled slightly towards the player at the bottom left.

2. No shading. The light source comes from the top left on Pokemon sprites. Having no sense of depth due to lack of shading adds to the 2-dimensional issue. Your outline is all black, which is also a no-no. Black should only be used for the darkest parts of the outline.

3. Lack of design. I don't even know what it's supposed to be. You've got a bunch of random dots and markings on a formless blob. Try drawing out your ideas first. Use references.

4. Palette. Pokemon sprites have a limit of 16 colors. That includes black, white, and a background color used as "transparency" in-game. It's not bad for making your own, but you have a lot more open colors you can work with. Use additional colors to give it depth with shading and highlights.

Look around at other people's sprites, or the official ones to give you more of an idea on what would be considered good spriting. And practice, of course.

Years
Hi people, I just started drawing randomly (in GIMP) and this came out, a bug/dragon fakemon lol. It may be ugly, but from a spriting point of view, please comment and criticize. This is the first time I read tutorials and put some time on spriting, so I'm on my first steps and eager to learn as quick as possible :) Have no mercy!

Attachments

• bug dragon in fondo.png
    bug dragon in fondo.png
    2.6 KB · Views: 225
Years
Here is one of my fakemon. Plz rate and give tips.

It's simple but i like it. I suggest that you check the lightening though. You see, if you look at the body or hands, the light seem to come from up-and-left, since shadows are down and to the right. But in the head, you only lightened the left cheek and not the top, and so it seems that the light is not coming from upside but directly from the left. Try to light the top and put some shadows down and to the righ, like in its belly. Also, add some light/shadow to the eye.

Thoughts on my sprite?

Acecaldwell01

Spriter
Years
  • Seen Jun 15, 2019
Yours is good but i dont like the eyes...the red i think is just a little to light. Just make it a little darker and will be good! Here is my edit:

Gundam X-Wing

Spriter/Hacker
Years
  • Seen Dec 25, 2012
Ace I feel your sprite is fine but the shading on the body is off..

What do you think about my sprites? Er... Sprite.. Not my first tho

Cade yours is pretty good..

I don't mean to sound harsh, but there's quite a lot that can be improved. Assuming this is supposed to be a fakemon, here's some crit for ya.

1. It's flat. It looks like a 2-dimensional object. Pokemon sprites are supposed to be angled slightly towards the player at the bottom left.

2. No shading. The light source comes from the top left on Pokemon sprites. Having no sense of depth due to lack of shading adds to the 2-dimensional issue. Your outline is all black, which is also a no-no. Black should only be used for the darkest parts of the outline.

3. Lack of design. I don't even know what it's supposed to be. You've got a bunch of random dots and markings on a formless blob. Try drawing out your ideas first. Use references.

4. Palette. Pokemon sprites have a limit of 16 colors. That includes black, white, and a background color used as "transparency" in-game. It's not bad for making your own, but you have a lot more open colors you can work with. Use additional colors to give it depth with shading and highlights.

Look around at other people's sprites, or the official ones to give you more of an idea on what would be considered good spriting. And practice, of course.

Excellent Advice Blackmoon

Just made this pokemon fusion.. can you tell what i used?

Yeah and cc please

I can also do requests for anyone...

Last edited by a moderator:

Acecaldwell01

Spriter
Years
  • Seen Jun 15, 2019
Yeah I no the shading is off..... your trainer sprite is good but make the second pokeball that is falling be kind of slanted. On your fusion you used an electrike a houndar(possibly) and thats all I can pick up... what about this fusion can you tell what i used?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back