• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Archive] ROM Hacking Newsletter 2008 | Issue 1 - 18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neti

Inactive
Years
Wow that trick is extremely useful in my opinion^^
pretty short one this time^^
but still nice
i like the new layout

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
I like the tips and tricks...
may be useful for LoG. :P

thanks for the tips and tricks.

anyways, yeah, too short but still okay.
keep it up, RHN team.

btw, nice new layout~

Blitzballer

Sarcasm: now GMO-free.
Years
About the new layout...I...LOVEEEE ITTTT! =)

It looks perfect and matches PokeCommunity to make it more "official". And, I completely understand the whole "busy for X-Mas" thing. I'm running into the same problem!!

Anyway, I'll try to write an article for next week, so it'll be just as good as if you were here!

Surf

Years
  • Age 29
  • Rust
  • Seen Jul 31, 2011
Oh great issue Thrace
The layout is great
And the tips and tricks sertinaly will help with my hack
How did Darthatron do the layout so that it matches the one that people are using?
Anyway Merry Christmas

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
Years
Uaah. Am I the only one NOT liking the layout today? Well, it's not bad, in that sense, but...it will when my theme changes from the Christmas one. :\

Anyway, great issue, although it felt a little shorter. :\

Sierraffinity

Desperately trying to retire from ROM hacking
Years
Rom Hacking Newsletter
Issue 5 - Sunday, 29 September 2008
Introduction
Opening words

Argh, damn it! I was hoping to get it in before Monday but its 12:33 PM as I'm typing this. Lol, I just realized daylight savings started today, I made it! I've decided to keep the rating descriptions in all issues from now on for easy reference. For the time being they will be in the Hack News section. We've got our first ever actual report courtesy of Visual this issue so make sure you check that out.

This weeks interview turned into a sort of one sided debate which gave me an idea. How about having a debate via IM on things in the hacking community? I think it would be quite interesting. For example we could discuss the pros and cons of making teams/rom bases/tools etc. It'll be quite difficult to pull of I think. Please post your comments.
Article by dshayabusa

Hacking News
Staying current with the rom hacking scene

Production of Pokémon: Tree of Peace Slowed

Due to school being too hectic during the week, production has been slowed to weekends only on Tree of Peace. Kawaii, Inc. assures that he will continue to work on the hack at every available opportunity on such days.

Pokemon: The Dragon Lineage makes a comeback
Most people won't remember since the thread was closed a couple of days after making it but I have another hack in the works. The Dragon Lineage will be based around Lance and Claire. It is no longer set in Johto. It is completely different to the ideas I had before. If you want to see the first town take a look in the Map Rating Thread. I'll open the thread sometime this week.

Hack Rating System
RHN will follow a standardised rating system similar to that of IGN, ratings and their meanings are described below.
Spoiler:

HOTW Winner
Spotlight on the Hack of the Week

Pokémon Distant [Link]
Hack Author: Disturbed
Reviewed By: dshayabusa

Pokemon Distant is a hack by Disturbed aka Maraudah from the Map Rating Thread. This hacks main appeal is by far the mapping. Marudah is a great mapper but his maps seem to be hindered by his choice of tiles. Don't get me wrong, Don Patch's tiles look great but if you're going to use his tiles you have to adapt to them. It doesn't just mean new palletes you'd also need to develop a different style of mapping. If you look at the maps made my Don Patch his mapping is very unique, not even close to what Nintendos looks like yet very professional.

According to the credits, Megiddo has done the scripts so far. Megiddo is a great scripter but it would be nice to see Disturbed making his own scripts. The story is quite interesting, the start certainly is unique and executing it will be easy yet very effective. There are also going to be 3 starters instead of one, its an interesting idea and I'll reserve judgement until the first beta. Most of the other features are pretty standard. It still needs some work but I can tell it'll be quite interesting hack to watch.
Article by dshayabusa

Hack Review
Hacks in review

Pokémon Black and White [Link]
Hack Author: ҳ̸ҲRichie
Reviewed By: thethethethe
Reviewer's Rating: 9.1/10

I'm usually a bit uneasy when looking at Spanish hacks. They usually have amazing graphics, average scripts, fail in the English Translation and have a bland storyline. Never Black and White shattered almost all of my previous perceptions on Spanish Hacks.

Graphics is Spanish hacks seem to always be impressive. I don't know how, but they seem to always have the most amazing sprites with near perfect palettes to get a highly visually appealing hack. I'd rate this hack as one of the most beautiful hacks I've ever seen.

The storyline is somewhat reminiscent of the Final Fantasy games. The player is searching for his lost identity and many plot twists only make this more difficult. Working together with the storyline, the scripting is consistent. When I look at hacks, the scripting is what I tend to enjoy looking upon the most. From what I saw the scripts don't show anything totally outstanding. They only do just enough to compliment the storyline. I'd be much happier, even if it's pointless, is just to see one script that blows me away. Just something that stands out from the rest, and is an unforgettable event.

The thing I was overjoyed to see was that the text was not lost in translation. Many translated hacks seem to lose their point in their translation to English, and the storyline therefore becomes hard to follow. This hack did not fall into that category. In fact the translation was near perfect. I'm not sure how it appeared in Spanish, but in English, the text appeared almost of a Shakespearian dialect, which is the perfect fit for the storyline. We have text in the style of the cryptic language of Shakespeare working together with the search for the unknown identity found in the storyline. It just shows how well thought out this hack really was.

This is a remarkable hack which is truly worth playing. This is one hack you can't afford not to play.
Article by thethethethe

CSS Cool?
An insider's report by Visual

CSS Designs, we all love them, we all have them, but whats the point behind them? Most of us just want a fancy presentation that looks nice and simple, some just want to copy others. First, lets get to know what CSS is a bit. CSS is a type of code, just like HTML but it is allowed in threads and signatures because theres no danger behind it. It's nice and easy to understand, basically you create layers on top of layers, first off you would start with a background, add a border and some text and you have a CSS box. Which is where the rest is developed from. But it does look quite appealing.

Modern day hacking has made a sudden jump into CSS, requesting it from other people or just taking it from their threads. I do find it funny though, hackers have spent so much time learning how to script and change tiles but cannot be bothered to learn some simple CSS. But it doesn't matter that much, it still all appeals to us, we still find it nice, but it does seem to be becomming more un interesting.

CSS is evolving like our whole civilization, months ago you wouldn't find it anywhere, whenever you did you thought someone had hacked into their signatures and added those boxes, now they're in everyones signatures and threads and still dramatically increasing. But pretty soon something new will be discovered and people will start using that instead, and while that new discovery increases CSS will slowly fade away, but i'd pay to see that happen.

Article by Visual

Tips and Tricks
A cool new trick that you may not have known about

This weeks tips come from HackMew. This time its all about msgboxes. Below is a description, script example and in-game shot of the different msgbox types.

0x2

Spoiler:

0x3

Spoiler:

0x4

Spoiler:

0x5

Spoiler:

0x6

Spoiler:
Tip donated by HackMew

Interview
An in-depth chat with... Megiddo
Spoiler:
Interview by dshayabusa

Closing Notes
Some house keeping

This segment is starting to become redundant. I actually have nothing to say. If you have anything you would like the rest of the community to know about PM me and I'll put it in the Hack News segment. I think having 1 or 2 reviews per issue is best, anymore will cheapen the concept of it. Uhh, yeah, so thats it. Oh, also thanks to whoever changed the name of the thread, if you could just do that whenever you have the time that'd be great. It would save me having to PM you and you having to read it each time.
Article by dshayabusa
CSS design and graphics by dshayabusa. Ask for permission if you want to use it!
Can I use the Tips and Tricks section of this post for an XSE tutorial?

Years
  • Seen Mar 8, 2016
I have a question... writebytetooffset... you have 0xA0, 0x0, 0x20, and 0x4 right after the command before writing the offset. Why is that? Also can you change palettes using writebytooffest?

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 8, 2024
sonsebbe said:
The 0x20 and 0x4 is the offset we're writing, The offset we're doing is
0x 3A0420
Then we plus 0x8000000, For telling it points to the rom.
We reverse it, Which gives us 0x20043A08
We'll have to replace the
A0 00 3A 08 with
20 04 3A 08
As you can see the 3A and 08 is the same, which is why we only edit 20 and 4.
writebytetooffset <New Byte we want to set> <Offset we want to set it too>

So we could also write:
writebytetooffset 0x20 0x2020648
writebytetooffset 0x04 0x2020649
writebytetooffset 0x3A 0x202064A
writebytetooffset 0x08 0x202064B
The last two lines wouldn't change any thing though...

For the Palette thing, I'll do a bit research now...
By the way, Merlin edited out that this was for fire red, Please keep that in mind too!
Happy X-Mas...
Sebbe

sonsebbe ask me to post this since his too busy with something, i guess..

btw, MERRY X-MAS TO ALL PC MEMBERS...

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 20, 2020
Why does the newsletter say the 23rd of December? I check the date of that post and it says 22nd! :\ Also, did Zeikku hack PC or something else? Just wondering?

EDIT: Never mind, I checked Zeikku's post, it was PSP.

Darthatron

巨大なトロール。
Years

ROM Hacking Newsletter

Issue 18 - Sunday, 28 December 2008
Introduction
Opening Notes
Well, last week Thrace asked me to do this weeks RHN, but anyone who knows me at all knows I hate a really bad memory. So today I've been in a super rush to get everything done. But, oh well. It's my own fault... Does anyone know where Thrace went? D: Also, sorry there will be no Hack Of The Week review this week. Hopefully there will be 2 next week. :\ Anyway... I hope you all had a good Christmas and got what you wanted off of Santa. :) Now... On with this weeks newsletter!
Opening by Darthatron
Hacking News
Keep up with the latest in the ROM hacking scene
HackMew's Toolbox - Updated! That's right. This week HackMew released a new tool and updaed 2 old ones! What a great Christmas gift! A-Trainer is the best trainer editor, hands down. It has some great new features, but I'll let you look and them, and not spoil the surprise. :D XSE has been updated with some great new features and a few small (brilliant) scripting changes. And of course, FSF has been made faster, and bug fixed. All in all, some great tools! Check them out! Hack Rating System RHN will follow a standardised rating system similar to that of IGN, ratings and their meanings are described below.
Spoiler:
Hacking News by Darthatron
Hack Review
A review of a hack?
Pokemon Old White [Link] Hack Author: Foullump Reviewed By: Disturbed Ah, the famous Old White by Foullump. This hack looks great in every aspect. It has a unique start, which is the player, engaging in the final day at West Academy. This is probably the least generic start of a hack I have ever seen, which is a very good thing! Foullump incorporated marvelous ideas and scripts that I have never seen in a hack before. Foullump mapped everything very professionally, and gave each and every map done a unique touch to it. Everything is natural, and flows quite well, which is uncommon in hacks these days. Sure, it is a rip off of every tile and overworld in Shiny Gold, but who says getting a good head-start on a hack isn't good? Foullump is balanced as a mapper, and scripter in my opinion. His ideas used in maps, and the way he maps, as to the thought added to the scripts, and the overall script performance is equally balanced. He also made a steady level of difficulty increase the more you play the hack, meaning that it would be much harder at the end of the beta, than at the beginning, or even the middle. All in all, Foullump put a solid amount of effort into this hack, and I definitely hope to see more of it soon.
Article by Disturbed
[a id]tip[/a id]Tips and Trick
An interesting Tip or Trick that you may not know
Today I'm going to show you how the new message boxes work in XSE. As a few people have asked me on MSN to explain it. Pretty much all that has happened is the "boxset" & "callstd" functions don't need to be used anymore. The "msgbox" now has that included as it's last parameter. So... If your old script was:
#dynamic 0x800000 #ORG @main lock faceplayer msgbox @blah boxset 0x6 release end #ORG @blah = BLAH![/CSS-DIV]
Your new script would be:
#dynamic 0x800000 #ORG @main lock faceplayer msgbox @blah 0x6 release end #ORG @blah = BLAH![/CSS-DIV]
You see? It's not too complicated. All HackMew has done is remove the need for the boxset/callstd functions by including it in the msgbox/message function. =)
Tip donated by Darthatron
Beginner's Corner
Tips for new hackers
Have you been saving bytes? Why do we need to if we can resize the ROM? Right? No, we need to save bytes... Here are some tips on how to save them.. 1. Importing Stuff - Do use the same script again and again.. Try using 1 script and repointing to it every time you use it... It's like this, do you need three printers just because you have three computers at home? No. Why not just connect the three computer to the one printer... So, instead of compiling the same script, why not just use one script and point to it in your new scripts? The same goes with images. Instead of importing the same image, why not just import one and repoint it? Also on maps. 2. Searching for Space - How do you search for space? Like opening your ROM in hex editor and look for a bunch of FF? Or starting with 0x800000? That's not the best ways to search, try Free Space Finder.. And before you start searching, always use 1 as the interval so you don't skip bytes.. Also, always search from the beginning of the ROM...
Tip donated by X-Buster
Interview
An in-depth chat with...
Spoiler:
Interview by Darthatron
Conclusion
Closing Notes
So, this weeks Newsletter may be missing a few things, but that's what you get when nobody sends in any articles on time. :\ Oh well, maybe next week will have all that this weeks is misisng, and what it's not. I can't think of anything else to say... So... HAPPY NEW YEAR! I hope you all have a good new year, and get even better at hacking. I'll be learning new things, and I hope you all do, too. :) Goodbye. __________________ "Candy. It takes like chicken... If chicken was a candy." - Toki Wartooth, Not A Bumblebee.
Closing by Darthatron
CSS by Darthatron

Last edited:

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
a bit short but it was still nice. :)
good work Darthy~

get used to it if Thrace is too busy with life! :badsmile:
good work with the RHN team. Keep it up~

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Oct 21, 2019
Strange, I did give a rating to Old White... I guess Darth never wanted to include it.

Who woulda guessed I was so freakin cool xD?
Lots of spelling errors (off with my head please) ;D

Binary

え?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 7, 2014
Short and sweet, what else can I say?
Anyways the trick was useful or I'd still be writing those old 'boxsets'.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 19, 2021
I enjoyed the interview, and I love the tip of the week! ^^

Disturbed, you really made me laugh about the interview, because everything you said is obviously true! XD

Anyways, great job, Darcy~

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Oct 21, 2019
I enjoyed the interview, and I love the tip of the week! ^^

Disturbed, you really made me laugh about the interview, because everything you said is obviously true! XD

Anyways, great job, Darcy~
Damn. One of the few times I actually tried to be serious... I make someone laugh.. at my honesty!?
And everything I said was true? I fail as a hacker than, I state the obvious =D

Well, I can't remember if the post above said I was going to be the official interviewer... but, yeah. I am the interviewer for RHN now =O

Neti

Inactive
Years
Damn. One of the few times I actually tried to be serious... I make someone laugh.. at my honesty!?
And everything I said was true? I fail as a hacker than, I state the obvious =D

Well, I can't remember if the post above said I was going to be the official interviewer... but, yeah. I am the interviewer for RHN now =O
Your words are fun somehow, but i didnt laugh because theyre so true!
The community can be really annyoing these days, ive written sth about that in your vms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back