• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Corporal Punishment

Years
I don't think a light slap on the wrist or the butt or the mouth is bad. Anything more is something I don't approve of.

I also think that it should be something reserved strictly to the parents. If I was a parent and discovered my child's teacher did that to him/her, I would be FURIOUS that they laid a hand on him/her in such a manner.
Pretty much this. A teacher has no right to even try to hurt a child.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
Years
Only in Texas could crap like this be acceptable. Violence isn't the answer when disciplining children.

I was at school yesterday listening to my civics teacher talk with her aide about this topic. Both of them were apalled that one of her 2nd period students (from the class before me) actually asked if they did paddles in school.

As I recall, the girl was from Missisippi, but I could easily see it happening in any of those deep-south states like Texas or Alabama.

Years
Corporal punishment like this only works if they fear you. So for those not easily frightened, they'll keep on getting physically harmed to the point where they begin to have prejudices and resentment towards the punisher. Yay! Breaking down family bonds one spanking at a time!

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
Years
A rare inverted case of Betteridge's Law of Headlines.

Yes.

You shouldn't be allowed to beat the crap out of a child, but pain is as much a motivator as pleasure. Carrot and stick is a tried and true practice; punish a child when they do something bad, reward them when they do something right. It's really quite simple.

Back