• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen The Official 4th Gen Shiny Thread [v2.0]

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
213.png

You can find the old thread here.

Discuss what shiny Pokemon you have/are trying to get and so forth in HGSS/DPPt here! Feel free to recount your experiences, your reaction to finding what - may have well been your first or one of numerous - shiny Pokemon, any unlucky encounters etc.

If you'd like more information on shiny Pokemon why not check out some of these links?

1. Serebii's overview of Shiny Pokemon
  2. Bulbapedia's overview of Shiny Pokemon
  3. The Pokecommunity's 4th Gen FAQ
If there are any helpful links you may have, and think should be added to the list, feel free to post them in this thread.

Gogogo!

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen May 28, 2013
My first ever shiny!

I was going to do some grinding in Slowpoke Well to try and get my Beldum to evolve so I could take on my rival before I left Azalea Town. The FIRST step I take into it I get a random encounter. I look away and I assume it was going to be a measly Zubat. But it WAS! It was a shiny Zubat! My first ever shiny Pokemon! :D

Years
  • Seen Jun 2, 2014
4th Generation: The Official 4th Gen Shiny Thread [v2.0]

!!!!! Wicked. Isn't that like 1% chance of getting that? I'm gonna try hanging in the well some time in my HG.

Years
  • Seen May 28, 2013
Hehe, thanks! I had a heart attack when I saw it! I love the green colour of it. :3

Years
  • Seen Jan 10, 2022
That's awesome! Makes me think of the shiny Golbat I found on Firered a while back.

Years
YAY FIRST POST IN THE NEW THREAD

I've actually owned 4 different legit Shiny Pokemon, aside from Red Gyarados. And they covered 2 different 4th Gen games I played.

On my brother's copy of Diamond, I have 3 shinies - a Budew, Graveler and U-Form Unown. I also have another shiny Graveler on my SoulSilver, as well as a Farfetch'd and the Red Gyarados. All are male except the Unown.

Since I'm busy with Black 2, I haven't got any plans to find more shinies in my SoulSilver, Pearl and Platinum yet but if I do, I'll be sure to share them here!

Yiazmat

going ham since 93'
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 6, 2013
I found a shiny Sentret (Now Furret) the 2nd time I ran through Route 29, and I done the repel trick for a Shiny Raikou on Route 43. (All on HG)

Rainbow Arcanine

now known as aslan
Years
All these lucky people ;-;. For me I've seen one shiny other than the Red Gyarados found in the Lake of Rage, although I didn't manage to catch it :<. It was in Platinum, when I was around 8 or 9 when I was horrible at the game. I'm not even kidding :(, I taught my starter Cut and Rock Smash, went through the game with two Pokemon and somehow miraculously finished. Giratina saved me ;P. But that was ages ago, since then I've started a new file fresh and am much better at the game! :D.

Back to the point, it was in Iron Island I saw my first shiny ever,a shiny Graveler :D. It could of been worse honestly, so I was happy :3. Although at the time I never heard how rare shinies were, the 1 in 8192 encounter rate, so I just stared at it for a moment and thought this must be some cool thing they threw in the game. So I sent out my Empoleon, (yeah that was a silly decision, but I was 8 forgive me ;;;;). I thought Surf wouldn't do much damage, (oh god I was wrong completely ):.) and it instantly KOed along with a critical. At the time I was a little upset, but now I look back on it instead of being angry I'm actually laughing my head off about it, how silly I was at the time.

It is a little upsetting my first shiny couldn't be captured, but I'm pleased I actually got to see one and I can always use the Pokeradar, so I might be able to see some sparkle again. <3. But I'm horrible at chaining so I have no clue if that would ever happen ;-;, other than that, that was my tale of my first shiny encounter. :D

And also that's amazing Yiazmat <3. I've always dreamed of getting either a shiny legendary or starter and you got my favourite beast Raikou :3. I'm jelly ;;;, haha. But there's actually a method :o? I actually honestly thought getting a shiny was either RNG or luck honestly :x. And ooo a Shiny Sentret, I actually love Sentret although it's one of the weaker Pokemon :<. So you're a lucky one <3, along with the rest of you who've managed to catch one. :D

Last edited:

Floodblade1234

Spirit of Azelf
Years
On my brother's copy of Diamond, I have 3 shinies - a Budew, Graveler and U-Form Unown. I also have another shiny Graveler on my SoulSilver, as well as a Farfetch'd and the Red Gyarados. All are male except the Unown.

correct me if I'm wrong but I thought it was only possible to get I and V form Unknowns shiny?

Back