• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Possible 3rd Game/Sequel Speculation

What do you think we will see?

• A 3rd Game (Like Emerald)

Votes: 21 65.6%
  • Squeal (Like Black II and White II)

Votes: 11 34.4%
  • No Other Gen 6 games.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Years
  • Seen Jan 2, 2014
This is a thread to speculate about a Possible 3rd game like Platinum,Emerald and Crystal or maybe a squeal like Black II and White II or will we not see a another game post your thoughts and opinions.

Guy

just a guy
Years
It's still pretty early to be discussing the follow up to X and Y, but why not? It's likely going to happen anyway.

While I can't say what changes they can make ─ we know next to nothing about X and Y ─ I kind of hope they do another sequel follow up. A third version became sort of traditional since Crystal, and Black 2 and White 2 felt almost refreshing. Rather than a rehash of the previous storyline, we got an entirely new storyline taking place on the same region. I want to see that again.

A third game name would obviously be Pokémon Z, but if they were sequels, then perhaps it could be X² and Y².

Magykx

It's too cold for you here.
Years
Like said, Z would obviously be the third game. Personally I would rather Z than X² and Y², because I actually wasn't that blown away by the revamped X and Y (prepares for stones).

Years
  • Seen Aug 19, 2023
Well, We didn't get a Gray or Gray 2 for Kurym (Nobody like kurym at Gamefreak :( ) But a Z version... No idea but I hope so. Then agian they might just throw us a curveball and do Pokemon A for all we know... Gamefreak is weird like that.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I don't want it to be a sequel like B2/W2 at all. Unova was unique but there's only one real direction X/Y can go, and if they were to skip a third game... the generation wouldn't really seem complete? idk.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
Maybe if there's sequels it'll be W and Z as to be more creative about it than simply adding a number.
Also we don't know the story yet so we can't really say, once we do we can make a better guess. If they're like GSRSDP than third, if like BW then sequels.
Also here's an interesting idea, how about the third game(s) being prequels? It can show us more backstory into the evil group (if there's one) and the region.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
prequels would certainly be interesting, i mean z could represent "pre-birth". unless it represents death? because that's the only way to kind of alter dna. hmmm prequel could be likely actually!!

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2015
I dunno if we should be expecting the same old third game anymore. I wouldnt put it past Game Freak to take it in a different direction. I would like to see sequels again, but have them be improved from what BW2 were, as those to me seemed kinda forced as sequels. If they are going to do that again, I want them to do it right. The plot in BW2 was lacking from what BW was, and Id like to see them continue the plot with the same quality as the previous games. I liked BW2, but I feel like it couldve been better.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Personally, if they close the story this time, I don't think we'll see a third or sequel. We'll get Gen 6 Main, couple years later 4 or 5 spinoffs. Then get hopefully a new Home Console (though gen 6 kinda defeats the point for a home console game), then 3 or 4 after move into Gen 7 and continue onward like that.

If we knew a little about the story it probably be easier to see if we'd get a third or sequel, but if X and Y pull a G/S on us I don't see a point in a third. If it closes the story then there isn't much chance for a sequel.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
Eh,they could always pull a crystal on us even if it ends like GS...the only reason would be to add a few things here, and change the story a bit...personally I'm hoping it's more like Emerald and Platinum, they're my favorite third versions and think that the originals should've been that way to begin with.

Guy

just a guy
Years
I don't want it to be a sequel like B2/W2 at all. Unova was unique but there's only one real direction X/Y can go, and if they were to skip a third game... the generation wouldn't really seem complete? idk.
I'm not sure how one could say that when we don't actually know what the storyline for X and Y holds for us. It's very possible that X and Y could go in numerous directions, we just don't know yet.

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2015
Also, dont forget they could possibly utilize DLC to add content to X and Y later, perhaps new areas, towns, etc, which would then stretch X and Y's experience. This may lessen the need for a "third game" and allow them to stretch the generation a bit with less main series games. Other than that, I say potential for R/S remakes still exists,but there is no guarantee.

Years
  • Seen Oct 4, 2013
I really don't hope for sequels, the story of BW was way better than B2W2, it feels like they made B2W2 just for the World tournament, I wouldn't mind a 3rd version, Pokemon Z would be cool.

Actually here's what I think will happen:
late 2013 Pokemon X and Y
late 2014 Pokemon Emerald remake
2015 Pokemon Z or sequels.

Or they would made RS remakes after XY and that's it.

Last edited:

Blastin'Tyruntz

Keeps blasting off again!
Years
calm down guys, we dont even know the pokedex yet!
a pre-quels would be unlikely, but as others said, they could throw us a "curveball".
i would love the idea of a prequel.
now, i knew it has been said before and most likely wont be the third game, but a 3rd game from the POV of the evil organization....this could be nice.
i know there is a hack of FireRed with a you being a rocket grunt and being able to steal other people's pokemon.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 21, 2021
I think it would be interesting if they made Hoenn remakes but as sequels rather than just sprucing up the region. With new protaganists and rivals.

Of course Team Magma and Aqua should return (and maybe a new team related to Rayquaza) but they should have new goals this time around.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
I think it would be interesting if they made Hoenn remakes but as sequels rather than just sprucing up the region. With new protaganists and rivals.

Of course Team Magma and Aqua should return (and maybe a new team related to Rayquaza) but they should have new goals this time around.

This won't happen. The Magma/Aqua story reached a full circle with Emerald. The teams were disbanded by Maxie and Archie.

I've already posted my views on remakes and why I think HGSS are the last remakes GF will make (ever!), so I don't feel like starting a discussion about it here.

I read something a few days ago that makes me think there will be not a third version, and not sequels, but a second set of paired versions. Because ZW are also chromosomes. How awesome would it be if we had FOUR main legendaries in 6th gen and FOUR main games, each being complementary to each other? This would catch everyone off guard and IMO it would be absolutely fantastic.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Anyone else wonder when the potential third game will be released? I kind of think gen 6 might be longer than gen 5 and it'd extend longer... and rather be set in around two years, rather than just the usual one. Just a thought I'm getting, given that they're extending this coverage longer than they did with gen 5.

Years
I really liked Black 2. It was really expansive and gave me more incentive to buy it, since it was such a different game than what the 3rd-versions usually are. I'd like something like that again, but I wouldn't mind having it in a 3rd game. Something really expansive, instead of a few small additions and a story alteration. Granted, I never played Platinum (so expensive, yeesh!) so they might have stepped up their game a bit after Gen III, but my memories of Emerald are that it was primarily almost gimmicky, with only a few advantages and little incentive to buy Emerald as well as Sapphire/Ruby. Granted, I did anyway.

If it felt more like a separate game I'd be all over it.

Back