• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Zapdos, Moltres or Articuno

Your favorite

• Total voters
Years
Zapdos was my favourite, very closely followed by Artucino. Moltres wasn't much to me, didn't really use it, just sat in the PC as I had a Chizard in my party.

Years
My fave of the three is Articuno, cos it's blue and I do love the look of most Ice-types.

I've never played FR/LG myself so sadly I never caught any of the birds lol.

Lokhlan

Formerly "Tendo"
Years
Way back when the original Blue Version was current, Articuno was the very 1st Legendary Bird you could come across. I remember finding him and not really knowing what to do because back then seeing a pokemon visible in the middle of nowhere not in a random battle was a rarity (with the exception of the Snorlax's blocking roadways). I immediately knew this bird must be some sort of rare pokemon so without thinking I engaged without saving. I accidentally killed him and had to reload my last save which was immediately before fighting the gym leader Koga. lol

Eventually I made my way back to him and caught him. Articuno is definitely my favorite of the 3 Legendary birds for sentimental reasons, aesthetic reasons, and because he had such an amazing move pool compared to other pokemon at his level range in the original Blue version. Ice Beam <3

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
Years
I caught all three of the legendary birds and out of those three, my favorite one is Zapdos just because I've always loved it since the original games and the designing is awesome; I also prefer Zapdos because it does not have a 4x weakness to rock type moves like Moltres and Articuno has.

:t354:TG

Kyrul

Long Live The Note
Years
Articuno. Coolest looking one out of them all. Looks are definatly what matters the most.

Creame

Dreams take you higher ♥
Years
Definitely Articuno, it's so gracious! Might be because I'm a girl though.. Zapdos is a close second and I really agree on Moltres looking like a fried/cooked chicken, the poor creature!

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen today
I've never enjoyed the birds as much as Entei/Raikou/Suicune. However Zapdos is probably (just) still my favourite, mainly due to it looking badass on my friend's pokémon card when I was younger. Moltres is a good battler, but I don't like its design much - especially compared with Charizard - although it does look slightly better in Gen IV. Articuno is the least interesting in my opinion, although its design is nicer than that of Moltres. The movepool of all three isn't exactly bad...it just seems a little lacking in-game, and seeing as nobody battles competitively in Gen III, that's all that matters right?

...actually, now I've looked at them, I'm definitely throwing a Zapdos into my LeafGreen team next time I play...

Last edited:
Years
Aesthetically they're all very good designs even though they're each based on a fairly simple concept. Moltres looks a bit better than the other two though so it's my favourite.

Despite that, I rarely used Moltres as I usually pick Charmander as my starter so I have no use for it. I usually use Articuno on most run throughs. I'll use Zapdos if I haven't bothered to get Raichu/Jolteon.

Years
  • Seen Jul 9, 2013
Moltres, cause fire, fire beats everthing
Don't forget
ArticUNO (1)
ZapDOS (2)
MolTRES (3)

Cheers
Alu

Years
  • Seen Nov 2, 2013
I guess my favourite would be either Moltres or Articuno, but I always catch all of them.

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
Years
In terms of which one is my favorite, Zapdos would be the one. But as per my own PokéCode. I don't use Legendaries... ever. Well, except in contests and musicals etc.

tnfsf11

I've captured all of them & it was easy as hell I didn't even break a sweat.
Anyway I love them all, but will probably go for Articuno cuz he's so chill xD

Reactions: T!M

DelightedTurk

Hipsterest Hypno in the land
Years
In my first playthrough of FireRed I caught and used Moltres and Zapdos in my team. They were both helpful additions even if having two Fire/Flying types may have been a bit silly. Four flying types in one team is crazy but I couldn't not use a Pidgeot while playing a Kanto game, right?

However Articuno is my overall favourite of the three. I just think it's design is really elegant, and ice types have always interested me. I also found the fact that it could learn Sheer Cold to be bittersweet as it would never work for me but always would work for my friends against me!

Sirfetch’d

My favorite is Articuno because I remember how helpful it was back when I used to play Blue. All three are good, however.

Back