• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How old is "too old"?

Years
I've been into pokemon for over a decade, first pokemon game I ever owned was Silver. Now being 24 I still feel like a kid so I never see myself stop playing pokemon. So I say your never to old to play pokemon.

Vulk

Secret Trainer
Years
Well, I started to play pokemon since its first release (when I stole my older bro's Gameboy XD), and if Pokémon keep on going further, I will play no matter what. Even my grandpa plays Pokémon, and he is 65 years old. So, you never are too old to play Pokémon, The maximun age is Arceus's.

iamDye

Dye
Years
I'm in my 20's and I've been playing the Pokemon games since I was in elementary school. I do admit that I stopped watching the show. However, I still love Pokemon and always will. My co-workers at work know I love Pokemon and they think it's funny. I'm not bothered by it at all. It just shows everyone that I really like Pokemon and that nothing will ever break that bond. Pokemon rocks!

Crunch Punch

fire > ice
Years
I thought I would be too old at 16 when I was younger, so now I don't really care how old a person should be to like Pokemon.

Dreg

Done after the GT.
Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2016
I remember someone saying to me that I was too old for Pokemon at age 15. Really, I don't care, I'm 23 and still playing. You're never too old for it.

Elysieum

Requiescat en pace.
Years
I think Pokemon became unfashionable for me around age 13. Globally I think the decline happened around Gen III, but for me there was that unnecessary undertone of shame when I played the games around Gen IV. Everyone else was onto other things that were deemed more mature. Now I think it's bigger than ever - there is no cut off age anymore.

Years
I remember someone saying to me that I was too old for Pokemon at age 15. Really, I don't care, I'm 23 and still playing. You're never too old for it.
Yeah, in late elementary school (for me, 2004-2006) Pokemon was getting unfashionable and I hid the fact that I liked it. This all came to a head in 2006 or so, when my dad said I was too old for it (after seeing me play Pichu on Super Smash Bros. Melee), and I gave up the cards and the show. I got Pearl, but lost interest in the games in general shortly after (although I'd pick them up again starting in 2008).

I'm 19 and in college now, and it's not really stigmatized anymore. Either you have fond memories but aren't interested anymore, you still love it, or you just don't care. Respect all around.

I will say that I find it a little odd to get into Pokemon at an older age when you were a kid during its popularity, but I have friends like that (one's my age and he didn't start until Gen IV) and I'm not going to deny him his dignity in his pursuit of becoming a Pokemon Master or whatever.

Morgnarok

PokéCommunity Supporter - Platinum Tier
Years
I started playing pokemon in 1999. I am Turning 20 years old and still playing. There was a point in my life that I quit pokemon for about a year due to peers and thinking it was childish...but u never too old for pokemon

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 12, 2016
I've never been told that I was 'too old' for any of the games that I play, but there's actually a resident in the nursing home where my Mom works that plays pokemon on the gameboy. She's around 60 years old and suffers from dementia, but apparently pokemon is one of the few things that she remembers with no trouble at all.

I thought that was absolutely heartwarming. (:

White Raven

Working on The Mysterious Meteorite
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Sep 1, 2015
Grade six? Lucky.
Well... for me it was in Grade 5. Grade 4 if you count a teacher.
After the Heartgold and Soulsilver era, I was the last Pokemon Trainer in my grade (about 60 people). so I went online to satisfy my otaku needs.

BTW my parents never supported me when I play pokemon. they let me, but don't support me.

Years
You're never too old. I started becoming a fan when it first came on TV and on GBC in my country. I was about 8. Why should it be for kids only? I grew up on this. Anyone who grew up with the first gens have past 20. It's not like you're addicted to it, it's just an interest, a hobby. I also look at it on an educational level, because I'm a visual artist in the making.

Damn, when we play a drinking game, we sometimes have to name up one of the original 150 and when you're out of names you'll have to take a shot.

It's just an anime/ game franchise. Some people don't understand anime and will compare it to some childish cartoon.
I don't like the series, I just like the games really.

And even if it was, screw them, right? :D

ToWriteLove

On Her Arms
Years
Too old is when you stop enjoying that moment when you start anew with the next Generation/game. I have been playing since 96, Blue being my first, and am 21 now. If you give up something you enjoy just because you are a certain age, then you are not living your life, you're living society's life. That's how I see it anyways, I still attend college, I still plan on getting my Masters, I still plan on teaching once I graduate, playing Pokemon, or enjoying anything at that matter, won't deviate my life style or choices.

Just my two cents. :P

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 2, 2014
I've been surrounded by friends and family who lost interest in Pokemon when they reached 16-17 years old (at max). They perceived people who still enjoyed Pokemon at 18+ years as childish, and it's fine by me. I never really gave it too much attention. I lost interest in it myself for a few years but got back to it recently; not because I grew out of it, but because of life.

I doubt I will stop enjoying Pokemon anytime soon.

Back