• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

❆Welcome to the Gym, Time to Test Your Might❆ (Gym Leaders' Club)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Sep 15, 2013
Topic:

1. Don't aim for pokemon league. My opinion, gym leaders are always stuck in their gym unless they have something else to do, like another leaderr requesting help because of a problem, etc....
2. Have a unique battle style. Some like pure offense, some slow and steady.
3. Have your bag exploding full of full restore and hyper potions. So basically, just have some items ready for emergency.

Crescend

Breeder
Years
B2W2 Spoiler!
Spoiler:

What do you think are the requirements to be a Gym Leader?

I don't think its just about being powerful, there's something more profound behind that strength. I guess it boils down to friendship and harmony with others, people and pokemon alike, which sounds really sappy but has been the core of the entire pokemon series since its beginning.

There has always been that rival who's a big douche, which personifies the wrong way to gain strength and then there's Ash, whose not all that bright or good but perseveres with the help of his friends. In the anime its not even necessary to always win the gym leaders to get the badge, when Ash proved his connection with pokemon by risking his own life to save a pokemon.

I think gym leaders more as a test of will. A particularly fitting quote for this would be: "You do not truly know someone until you fight them." A gym leader doesn't need to use his/her full power to test a trainer, as long as he/she can see whether the trainer has potential to become a great trainer one day. I mean how does it make any sense to have gym leaders with only a few lvl 10-12 pokemon? It doesn't, they're going easy on you.

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years

Well, it has never really been explained how you do become a gym leader, neither in the games or whatever else. There has been appearances of several smaller, unofficial gyms throughout the anime, so with that logic, there aren't actually any requirements to become a gym leader, as you can just start a gym yourself xD However not official :p

In all seriousness, this is a topic where you can perspectivize a bit with high-ranked jobs in real life. There are several ways to get to those. One is the most obvious way, where you work hard, put a lot of effort into your work, etc, and the same can be applied for the gym leaders. If they train hard, make themselves noticed in the world, and have decent Pokémon, they'll be able to work themselves towards gym leader rank. An example of this could be Misty. She's very young in the games, though appears to have worked hard to become a gym leader.

Another way is through connections. It's not all that often, but you do hear cases of people getting good jobs with absolutely zero amount of effort put into gaining it, only because they have a family member or a good friend up in the high. The same applies to gym leaders of course. Tate and Liza are both very strong, but I don't think that they could've become gym leaders without some help from a relative. I mean, compared to Misty, they are several years younger, though not a clear example. Janine also made gym leader through her father when he became E4, though I do think she'd have made it anyways.

Though yeah, even though some of the earlier gym leaders don't appear to have that strong Pokémon, they probably have stronger ones stashed away somewhere. In theory though, all gym leaders could be about equally strong, where levels are only put in to enchance the gameplay, though that is true in both cases, so that's not really anything to go on.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
bribes It seems that you need to really know how to command your Pokémon, how to raise them, and more than anything how to go up against types that your team is weak to. It doesn't really matter how strong your team is considering there needs to be gyms for the weaker trainers to fight and some to test the stronger trainers, but you need to be able to hold your own against any Pokémon of the level you're expecting to fight. For example a Rock type gym leader needs to have decent strategies for dealing with Water, Grass, Fighting, Ground & Steel types, all whilst ensuring their Pokémon can still hit hard and do some very formidable fighting. You also need to be able to adapt to any situation and cope with it in the right way, or you're not going to do well as a gym leader at all. Alongside being able to connect with your Pokémon and everything mentioned above, these are the qualities that are required to become a gym leader in my opinion.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years

To me, like Olli, becoming a gym leader is like getting a job or something like that. They have their own requirements, and it's a position where it requires huge responsibilities as well as tons and tons of Pokemon experience...even experience in battling. Many gym leaders may have started as trainers themselves, or they may have been promoted due to family member link.

The most important, well in my terms, is that each gym leader needs to have the ability to teach others. Without knowledge of their type, what advice will they give to trainers and trainers-to-be?

TheAC29

A new adventure begins now
Years
Well, there's no explanation about how did trainers get to become a Gym Leader and the requirements for it, but I think the requirements to become a Gym Leader is to start off as a trainer and train pokemon, collect badges and beating Elite Four to win the Champions League. Being a Gym Leader is responsible for training their pokemon for their next challenger and to test the trainer and their pokemon so they can be strong and resourceful to challenge the Elite Four, the Gym Leader is also responsible for making the interior of the gym suitable for their pokemon (Like pools for water-type gym or grass and flower for grass-type gym), every Gym's interior has its own perspective for the Gym Leader's pokemon and they can pass on their main job as a Gym Leader to another family member to keep the Gym running just like Janine, she takes over her father's position as a Gym Leader after he got promoted to the Elite Four.

Oh yeah, I just got Cheren, Elesa, Roxie (Tomika) and Shizui's sprite after the official release of BW 2, but I can't find the pictures of the Toxic Badge and the Wave Badge. So, I'll make Elesa's new look userbar and Cheren's userbar and hold them for a week to wait for the Toxic and Wave Badge for Roxie and Shizui's userbar. :)

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
Oh yeah, I just got Cheren, Elesa, Roxie (Tomika) and Shizui's sprite after the official release of BW 2, but I can't find the pictures of the Toxic Badge and the Wave Badge. So, I'll make Elesa's new look userbar and Cheren's userbar and hold them for a week to wait for the Toxic and Wave Badge for Roxie and Shizui's userbar. :)[/COLOR][/FONT][/B]

There's some people here that are waiting till the US release to see the new sprites, but as someone that already has seen the sprites (yeah lol), it'd be totally awesome if you did make an Elesa userbar! I am a huge fan of Elesa's new look and it'll look great on my sig! :3

We'll see what Sector thinks when he returns. ;3

TheAC29

A new adventure begins now
Years
There's some people here that are waiting till the US release to see the new sprites, but as someone that already has seen the sprites (yeah lol), it'd be totally awesome if you did make an Elesa userbar! I am a huge fan of Elesa's new look and it'll look great on my sig! :3

We'll see what Sector thinks when he returns. ;3

Japan always gets the awesome stuff first lol. Well, I'm done with Elesa's new userbar and Cheren's, but I don't wanna spoil the surprise to anyone yet on what their userbars look like. :P
Now to wait for the Toxic and Wave badge.

(UPDATED on June 25, 2012)
Here are the 3 new Gym Leaders userbars and Elesa's new look from Unova to promote the official Japanese release of Pokemon Black 2 and White 2 (US will be released on Autumn 2012, Australia on Spring 2012 and Europe also on Autumn 2012). Enjoy the new Gym Leaders userbars! :D
Cheren:
picture.php

Elesa (New Look):
picture.php

Roxie:
picture.php

Shizui:
picture.php

Last edited:

Mentalii

Back
Years
Hi, joinage please :D

Name: Mentalii
Your Gym Leader: Misty
2 Partner Pokemon(Read the Rules & Yes we can have nicknames!): Lapras (whose nickname's "Lokhlass") and Starmie (whose nickname is "Staross"
Why have you joined to be trained: I've always loved the gym leaders. In Pokémon, there are also awesome characters that are as interesting as the Pokémon themselves. I guess that, if I was in the Pokémon World, I'd rather be a gym leader than the champion, running a gym seems to be way more exciting.

What do you think are the requirement to be a gym leader?

It depends I guess... Or you're gym leader from father to son, or your town needed a new gym leader so or you beat the current gym leader, either you win tornament or something like that. Also, if possible having a team with a featuring type.

Olli

Years

What do you think are the requirement to be a gym leader?[/B]

It depends I guess... Or you're gym leader from father to son, or your town needed a new gym leader so or you beat the current gym leader, either you win tornament or something like that. Also, if possible having a team with a featuring type.
Welcome to the club, Mentalii. Hope you'll stay and post around for a while!

All these are great suggestions, however many trainers have probably already beaten the gym leader, so I feel that's a bit of an unnecessary requirement, as so many already have. Maybe make it a requirement to beat the current gym leader with a team of the same typing as the gym leader, however if the new gym leaders always have to be stronger than the older ones, that'd end up in some really powerful gym leaders, and that's probably not what I'd aim at, if people were to have a chance at the league.

One requirement could be to get high up in the league rankings for the region though, as that way the one in charge of the league team would be able to decide who would be qualified for being gym leaders, and possibly E4 members for that matter.

Waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait!

...Homika's English name is Roxie? I really don't like that. Sorry to anyone who does :(

Last edited:

Cosmotone8

silhouette of the past
Years

2 Partner Pokemon(Read the Rules & Yes we can have nicknames!): Lapras (whose nickname's "Lokhlass") and Starmie (whose nickname is "Staross"
Why have you joined to be trained: I've always loved the gym leaders. In Pokémon, there are also awesome characters that are as interesting as the Pokémon themselves. I guess that, if I was in the Pokémon World, I'd rather be a gym leader than the champion, running a gym seems to be way more exciting.

Welcome to the club :D
Here are the 3 new Gym Leaders userbars and Elesa's new look from Unova to promote the official Japanese release of Pokemon Black 2 and White 2 (US will be released on Autumn 2012, Australia on Spring 2012 and Europe also on Autumn 2012). Enjoy the new Gym Leaders userbars! :D
Cheren:
picture.php

Elesa (New Look):
picture.php

Roxie:
picture.php

Shizui:
picture.php
These look awesome! Especially like Cheren's and Roxie's.
Waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait!
...Homika's English name is Roxie? I really don't like that. Sorry to anyone who does :(
It is supposed to be a pun. Rock and Roll Roxie. I personally think they could have done better, but I'll take it I guess.

Olli

Years
It is supposed to be a pun. Rock and Roll Roxie. I personally think they could have done better, but I'll take it I guess.
Yeah, I got that, I just thought it was a really bad pun, and a name I just generally don't think fits her. Though this negative view may come off of the fact that I've just grown fond of the name Homika, and just won't let go of it for a pun on the work rock. ;(

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 29, 2019
Both names are passable imo but I gotten used to calling her Homika myself though, tbh I was hoping for more new leaders instead of guys like Clay returning along with the possibility to rematch them post-game like in Platinum but oh well.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
picture.php

This.. looks.. SWEEEEEEEEEET. :D

I also grew fond of the name Homika. And I also thought Roxie is the American name. xD It'll probably not be her official name once we know more information later on in the future once the games come out. I wouldn't be surprised if they gave her a different name.

Olli

Years
Well, I'm fine with anything other than Roxie. Sorry, but I just don't like the name, and I feel like Homika could work for her official, English name as well? I don't know, just as long as her official name isn't a pun :<

And yeah, that Elesa userbar looks fantastic! Keep up the good work :D

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
Actually...I just looked at bulbapedia.

Spoiler:

Olli

Years
Oh, that wasn't actually necessary xD I love the userbars, it was more the fact that they chose to name her Roxie, but thanks nonetheless :D

And @Megan
Spoiler:

Sector

Banned
Years
  • Age 33
  • Ohio
  • Seen Oct 10, 2016
Japan always gets the awesome stuff first lol. Well, I'm done with Elesa's new userbar and Cheren's, but I don't wanna spoil the surprise to anyone yet on what their userbars look like. :P
Now to wait for the Toxic and Wave badge.

Cheren:
picture.php

Elesa (New Look):
picture.php

Roxie:
picture.php

Shizui:
picture.php
Wow those are great, thanks! They're up on the main post!! I was going to say, if you wanted to you could make a duplicate and have the name Homika instead of Roxie on there. I'm sure more would be please. It suit her better in my opinion but its totally up to you. :)

Welcome! If it weren't for Sabrina, Misty would be my Gym Leader ;) So why did you choose Misty? Is it more because of her Gym Leader appearances than her traveling days with Ash/Brock? ;)

These look awesome! Especially like Cheren's and Roxie's.

I'm used to her being called Homika...I'm just sticking with that name in my head. It's to late for me to start calling her Roxie now xD Like Olli, I think Roxie is a horrible name for anyone. Could had done better. What about Shizui though? No "American" name?
picture.php

This.. looks.. SWEEEEEEEEEET. :D
Elesa's new look is...unexplainable :X I don't even know where to begin!

As for the topic discussion, I'm not very good at coming up with something out of the blue and asking. Please, discussion what's on your mind about these gym leaders and their Pokemon. :X Don't be shy to start your own topic discussions!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back