• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Developers, developers, developers, developers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
Wow, I really like that idea of using Dropbox for assignments. Since I do have it on both my desktop and my laptop, I really think it'll come in handy. I'll keep that in mind once I start school :P

But I know Dropbox is a cloud-sharing service, and I like the feature of it syncing your files from device-to-device, but it also worries me if they look at files too because I've heard that Dropbox isn't encrypted file sharing, and they have peeked at files in the past, which is why I don't put documents up on my Dropbox, but mainly just pics instead.

Years
Who's they?

I use dropbox for everything. Assignments, pictures, as well as the transfer of small files between computers - i don't use thumb drives anymore.

Years
Thumb drives still aren't a bad thing to have though, as those serve as a good media device to load operating system ISOs to in lieu of burning them to CDs/DVDs, and I have a thumb drive specific to do just that.

(and "they" = Dropbox if that was what you meant, John..)

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
I just leave my files synched with SkyDrive.

A netbook wouldn't be of much use outside under normal situations as I spend a lot of time reading and writing text. I don't like screens that get a bit too small to my own liking. I prefer the size of lower-PPI displays when I'm working on Windows.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
The closest thing I have to a netbook is an iBook G4. I bought it many years ago, but I haven't really used it since then. That's why, it's still under great condition. I take it with me sometimes when I'm traveling somewhere far, though.

I've never used Dropbox, but I may start using it. It'd be a good way to make sure that I don't lose any of my important files (such as family pictures).

Years
There are so many services that people can use these days for cloud storage, whether it'd be Google Drive, SkyDrive, or Dropbox.. but I do wish there was a place we could go that had more space to use in the cloud (meaning more than 2GB) and still be free.

I've never used Skydrive, though, but I have used Google Drive, and as I already said, I am a regular Dropbox user, too.

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
*has 25 GB of space in SkyDrive*

That's what I get for sticking to Hotmail (now Outlook.com) forever.

Catalyst.

Nothing of significance
Years
For cloud storage, I use Google Drive. They give you 15GB free now, which is pretty good, and unlike Skydrive, you don't have to use it forever to get it. If I ever need more space, I think it'll probably cheaper to host my own site, as DreamHost still has unlimited disk space, and just keep everything there.

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
For cloud storage, I use Google Drive. They give you 15GB free now, which is pretty good, and unlike Skydrive, you don't have to use it forever to get it. If I ever need more space, I think it'll probably cheaper to host my own site, as DreamHost still has unlimited disk space, and just keep everything there.

Heh.

It's more of a "being a user since years gone by". It's not possible to get 25 GB on SkyDrive these days, though you do still get 7 to start with.

Years
I was able to boost my Dropbox space up a bit when they had certain offers a while back.. I like how companies make changes to plans, such as Microsoft reducing free SkyDrive space from 25GB to 7GB, and the older users are grandfathered in. Seems a bit unfair if you ask me.

It amazes me at how much cloud storage has become a thing in technology as of late.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
I've been using Dropbox for some years and since I registered I already doubled my free space (ok it's only 4GB right now, but that's more than enough). Funnily if you wanted, you could easily get more space and that's without spending any money.

About the security issue: even emails and Google aren't save thanks to the NSA, so why bother? If you want you could manually encrypted your files (TrueCrypt and friends help a lot) so that's no problem.

Catalyst.

Nothing of significance
Years
As far as security goes it's always best to encrypt and decrypt your files on your end. You can never be sure what the companies will do with your data, but at least that way it'll be useless to them.

Years
That's exactly why I watch at what I put on Dropbox.. I mean the only thing as close to private I may have on my dropbox is pictures of me, but who the heck is gonna care about what I look like?

Kotone

someone needed a doctor?
Years
we were suppose to use drop box for our graphic design class, i just never really used it tho. i still have it on my computer. i just like my USB drives :P

Years
I'm not sure if students even have access to cloud file services such as Dropbox, but I can tell you for sure that if they did, then no one used them.. I was probably one of the few "computer geeks" at my school who knew a lot about computers, and I didn't mind exposing that fact about me. :P

But as for preference, I still prefer flash drives as well for on-the-go usage, as the only reason these days I would use cloud storage was if I couldn't email a file, or if I wanted to host a file that I could easily remove from being hosted as well.

Kotone

someone needed a doctor?
Years
well the students in my class we had access to drop box. i guess the teacher has like a code for their drop box that they give to you so you can drop your file into their drop box.

apparently, it's faster than using an email.

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
I have a Sony 16 GB USB 3 flash drive for quick shuffling of files. They are so cheap these days...

I've closed the lid of my laptop and packed it up. Hope I can get it fixed... It's a taxi ride at the very least.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
I use Dropbox when I need to access files often from multiple computers. If I'm just transferring something once, I'll use a USB drive. If I didn't have as much space on Dropbox as I do, though, I'd probably have to use something else (and I wouldn't touch it as much for fear of filling it up with unimportant things). That promo that Dropbox did last year for universities was excellent... my school was really good at pulling in referrals and we all got something like 25GB for it.

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
I have 55gb on my Dropbox due to a 50gb promotion they had with Samsung phones, lol. The 50gb runs out in two years but whatever. It's amazing. I also have a whole assortment of flash drives. Got a 32gb USB 2.0, a 16gb USB 3.0, a 16gb USB 2.0, and an 8gb USB 2.0. The rest have died xD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back