• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

table etiquette

Hannah

beep bop boop
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Nov 16, 2021
Are you the kind of person who chews loudly? Are you the one who talks while their mouth is full? Do you follow the table manners that your parents have told you about, or do you ignore them? Are you a princess when you eat? Do you use the sentences, Please pass insert dish here?

Explain how you eat, and your behavior when you're at the table.

Yoshihiko

Moved back to SNOR(es)LAX
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jan 30, 2013
I slurp noodles and soup like a Japanese, despite being a Chinese, I poke my fishballs using chopsticks occasionally, its no good in terms of Chinese table mannerism. But I generally don't talk while I eat and don't spread out my hands widely while eating.

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
It bugs me when people eat messily, so I don't do it. >_>
Though my family is weird with meals; we all eat at different times and everyone makes their own food. So I'm usually not eating at the same time as anyone else.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
I absolutely HATE it when people slurps their soup. It's just so disgusting.

I behave quite well when I eat. Although I put my elbows on the table. Is that considered impolite?

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 13, 2021
My table manners differ between environments. I know how to use good table manners when I am expected to, such as eating with the family or eating at a public restaurant.

I chew with my mouth closed by default. Sometimes I talk with my mouth full if someone asks me a question - when I do, I cover my mouth with a hand. If I have noodles, soup, or spaghetti, it's difficult for me not to slurp... However, I try my best to avoid it while out in public. I don't go out of my way to reach for farther away items across the table in restaurants, I ask if someone can pass it. Lastly, I do not begin eating until everyone else has received their meal when eating with the family.

I am not too fussy about table manners at home. I mean, it's your house and you can do whatever you want in there.

Years
I hate hate hatehatehate the sound and sight of people eating so I make a concerned effort to be quiet when I eat. I especially don't talk with food in my mouth. But I still put my elbows on the table, reach for things instead of asking for them, and all those other "rude" things because, well, there's no reason I should ask for the salt if I can reach it myself.

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
Years
In generally decent environments like eating with family/older friends or eating out, I observe basic manners as a formality although my arm placement is a bit weird because I always have my left hand on my left knee unless I need both hands for something. I also consciously think about not chewing with my mouth open to the point of obsession because my brother does it and it's a terrible experience.

Around friends it's pretty much the same except I'm prone to doing the Gendo pose if I don't like the conversation topic.

Spoiler:

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
I feel like I have good table etiquette, though I used to chew loudly when I was younger, I don't anymore.

However.. I don't use a knife and fork for my pizza or burgers; I'm not that "posh" haha! I use my hands :3

I will slurp in a Japanese restaurant, but not in other restaurants, and when I have spaghetti (which is rarely, though) I always twirl it on my fork.

I also drink a lot when I eat.

Ummm.. at restaurants, I will put the napkin on my lap, but at home I don't do that.

X3 I am not sure what else to mention haha!

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
At home and out at restaurants is mostly the same for me except that at restaurants:
- I'll wear a napkin on my lap (although, I guess I do that a formal family gatherings too like Christmas)
- drink more (at home, I'll normally grab a drink after)
- If eating something messy (like ribs or wings), I'll clean my face a lot more often than I would at home; because at home who cares?
- I will eat pizza with a fork and knife. When I'm out and order pizza, it isn't delivery-style, it is too think to pick up and bite (unless I roll it up I guess, but that would be weird)

I know I eat... quickly. So, I'm probably a lot louder than I realize. Hopefully not.

I want to learn to use chopsticks (properly. Right now I just stab things to get it on the stick)

Sir Codin

Like Drakow, it depends on who I'm with. However, if it bothers someone that much, I'll respect table etiquette.

It always seems a bit silly to me, though. Eating is part of staying alive, and you're worried about how you look to other people? Eh, whatever. However, I do find chewing with your mouth open to be annoying.

Also, Witch, I tend to do the Gendo pose too. XD

Years
I hardly eat at a table with other people anymore, haha.

If I am? Chances are I'll talk at least once with my mouth full because I suck. >__> I try to keep my elbows off the table and not check my phone. Otherwise I just... eat. I don't really check to see if I have good table manners. Which means I am a total slob, probably. >__<

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I tend to forget when there's food in my mouth and I'll talk, but I end up shoving it into the side of my mouth. It's just that if there's conversation, if I don't respond immediately, I'll forget it or the conversation will move away from what I wanna say lol. ;( Other than that, I'm pretty good about my table manners. When I drink from a glass or can or anything really, my pinky goes out (I don't try, it just does) so I'm fancy.

Evanlyn

Kidneys! I've got new kidneys!
Years
I hate it when people eat with their mouth open >.<

Anyway, I'm fairly polite - I do ask for people to pass stuff, and I eat with my mouth closed, and I usually don't talk with my mouth full.
If I have food that needs cutlery, I'll use cutlery. If it's food that does't need cutlery (like chips, or sometimes chicken, or pizza etc.), then I'll use my fingers.

Aeon.

Carrion
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 22, 2016
I don't often eat at tables anymore, that's generally for restaurants and occasional lunch breaks at work. When I do though, I often try to be really polite unless I'm alone.

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
Years
In my family we only eat at tables if we go up to gran's for a B;day/christmas dinner. If we go there I try to not talk with my mouth full and use a fork and knife. I think people who lick their fingers after eating something is disgusting. Why can't they go and wash their hands ?

Normally if I eat something like chips I'll use a chip fork I get from a chip shop.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
I'm the kind of person who takes his dinner off the dining room table and takes it to eat in the living room where the television and his laptop are.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
Years
  • Seen Apr 27, 2020
At home I don't really care, we don't even eat together anymore except on Sundays so it doesn't matter anyway. But when we do it's not like I disregard all manners haha, but it's obviously different from being in a restaurant or being a guest at someone else's house.

Years
I don't know anyone who eats really loudly. I can't talk with food in my mouth. It's just something I don't do. At the cafe one time, I made a conscious effort to see if anyone around me was eating impolitely. Maybe at home, but definitely not in public places. Image matters.

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
Though I seldom eat at a dining table (oh, I guess that's one thing in itself), I would usually rest my elbows on one. If people would find that objectional, they're simply not being reasonable. Table manners are just that: idiosyncratic mannerisms made endemic to entire cultures.

Back