• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Starting New Games

The Doctor

What!?
Years
I only restart a game once I have uploaded/migrated pokemon to the next generation. Currently my pokemon are sitting in White ( and some in White 2 ). I have Black to play through if I want but if I want to replay White 2 I'll either have to wait till X and Y so I can migrate or just trade them back.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
I usually play some of the post-game features for a few weeks until i get bored.
Then i usually just leave the savegame as it is, until i have the urge to re-start it some day in the future

Kyrul

Long Live The Note
Years
I trade over all the ones I feel as though I bonded with (C'mon y'all know you bond with them too.) to the opposite version and start over pretty much a few days after I beat the elite 4. I don't have the motivation to keep killing pidgeys until level 100. Besides, I always find the beginnings to be the most enjoyable.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen yesterday
Well, I don't buy opposite versions or anything (Except for when I bought both HeartGold and SoulSilver, but I traded in SS for HG so...). I usually end up starting over, as I want to go through the story again and again. For Gen IV I normally keep one save with my most precious pokémon on (I have Movie 12 Arceus, Pikachu-coloured-Pichu etc. still), Gen III I may import to Gen IV, Gen V...meh. Don't like any of the pokémon enough.

H0tB3ans

What is Sylveon?~
Years
Usually, I try to complete the PokéDex (done many times) and get all my Pokémon to the highest level possible (or however long I can stand it for). Then I just bury it in a huge heap of games and months, maybe years later I watch some youTube videos about that certain game and start all over again. Yeah, confusing >=3

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
Honestly, it depends on the mood that I'm in and how much that I've completed. My Blue version has probably been restarted more times than I can count. My Black version, on the other hand... maybe once? Although I could be mistaken in that. It really does depend on the individual game and if I feel I could still do more in the game.

LyokoGirl5000

Lyoko Princess
Years
I only restart my older games. G/S/C and R/B/Y for battery purposes and Ruby because I'm almost done with the National Dex in Sapphire and love the Battle Frontier in Emerald.

✯Shigeru✯

I Dropped The Lift Key...
Years
I'm actually very prone to restarting because I like playing through every game at least once for every starter Pokemon. However, after using every starter at least once, the odds of me restarting are quite slim.

Altair1

Willpower
Years
I always end up making a new save file or trading the game in thinking I won't get back into it, but I always end up regretting it! haha, I've bought all the NDS games now, so I'll be playing from Diamond up, hopefully I can finish all games before October (X & Y release) ... I'll definitely be keeping these games after finishing them.

Sirfetch’d

I usually just restart mine after I have played through some of the post game stuff. The only game I never restarted was my Ruby version because it had all of my favorite Pokemon and I had to way at the time to transfer them and save them.

Razer302

Three Days Grace - Break
Years
I always pick 1 game each gen to never reset and be my main one and the rest I will restart for SRing for shinys and just to re enjoy the game all over again.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
In the old days, I restarted any time I felt like it. The Pokemon on those games really didn't mean much, and I spent so much time playing that I was right back to where I was before.

These days, I tend to make sure I have different games, one for storage and the other to play around with. For instance, my Pearl game has the original save file on it, but I have a copy of Diamond to restart whenever I need to.

Years
Starting a new game feels like mass genocide to me. I usually just keep them and just play the second version and move everything over to the first version when I want to restart.

Back