• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Nintendo 2DS

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 16, 2022
Lower income families can buy a much more durable system for less money. What's not strong about that?

It's only $40 cheaper than the normal 3DS. If it was about $89 then I feel it would be different. When the 3DS is already fairly affordable, releasing this seems to be pointless.

Years
If I didn't already have a 3DS I'd look into one getting one of these. I never use the 3D function on my XL so something that removes said function while making the system cheaper doesn't seem too bad. Looks a bit sturdier, too! If my 8 year old brother were to get his hands on a 3DS I'm sure he'd rip the top half off within a few months, haha.

Just curious about how it feels like to hold it because from the image it looks quite uncomfortable. Read otherwise, though.

Andrew

Ah Yeah 아예
Years
A lot of you are looking at this from your point of view as a more "hardcore" Nintendo gamer. For kids (and parents of those kids), this thing is perfect. Affordable and you avoid the risk of them accidentally activating the 3D (I know you can disable it by default on a normal 3DS, but a lot of parents don't. Not to mention the thing is basically a brick so it's most likely pretty durable, and can handle the abuse a child will throw at it.

My brother (9 years old) never keeps his 3DS XL in his pockets, and never kept his DSi in his pockets either. He always had a travel case, so I'm only assuming most kids do that as well. Carrying anything in pockets is a bad idea for a child, because they tend to be forgetful, and take things out without remembering to put them back in. I see this selling well only because of the fact that it appeals to parents of young children. I'm sure a lot of older people will pick it up too, either because it's cheaper and they don't use the 3D or they just want a backup, but I would personally go to GameStop and get a used 3DS for like $20 more instead of buying this.

Gyardosamped

entering snake habitat
Years
very informative post

I agree, Andrew. Most people are looking at this from a hardcore gamer perspective. This tablet-looking system looks perfect for those of younger age who don't yet have that trait of responsibility totally in mind. I don't think Nintendo was trying to make a system better than what we have now, the 3DS XL; rather, they were just trying to make an affordable system that could be utilized by those of younger age. The 3D option on the 3DS systems we have now is pretty damaging to the eyes after long use, and some of you are not taking into account that most adults today are not very tech savvy. If I asked my mother right now to turn the 3D option on my 3DS off, she'd stare at me with a blank face. I think the design is kinda cute, not to mention it looks pretty durable, like Andrew stated. The system is bulkier and larger for a reason; it's aimed for those of young age, those who love to break everything in sight and throw things around. Nintendo has a really great marketing strategy with this system too; they're releasing it on the same day that Pokémon is being released. I think this'll sell, believe it or not. Heck, I might buy one myself.

New Eden

Ascension to heaven
Years
I'm seeing lukewarm at best thoughts about this, but here's what needs to be understood.

Reggie said it's supposed to appeal to children, and thus making it as childproof as they can. I have an eight year old cousin, who I swear makes me cringe when he's using his DS Lite because he forces the crap out of the hinges. Also I'm pretty sure it contributes to lowering the cost as much as they can.

I also hear it's pretty comfortable so I dunno. What I do know is...

5308_10200310561477991_1844402_n.jpg

PhoenixWright77

Pokémaster Attorney
Years
  • Seen May 17, 2015
To tell the truth, I actually kind of like this thing. The design really isn't too bad and it's a cheaper alternative to the 3DS for people on a budget and can't afford to pay the extra 40$. While 40$ may not seem like a lot of money to one person, to someone else with less money, that 40$ seems much more valuable. personally, I will be getting the 2DS because I lost my 3DS and I'm saving most of my money on other things.The 2DS allows me to get what I want but cheaper. The only feature it does not have is the ability to play games in 3D but in truth, I only used the 3D once or twice so it doesn't matter.

Also, why are people saying this thing is not portable? I read an article saying that the 2DS will have a slider that will simulate the closing of the screen. It would be rather stupid for Nintendo to forget that feature.

Last edited:
Years
Agreed with Cirno!

The flip screen hinges have been an issue with younger users. Once they break, the system doesn't operate.

I also think that the $40 price drop from the standard 3DS is being trivialized. You cannot buy one child a system and not the other. Families with several children may not be able to afford gifting 3-5 3DS's, $510-$850. With the price drop, the costs for the 2DS is, $390 - $650. This is a huge difference as the holiday season approaches in the months following the release.

Lastly, 3DS visuals may be a concern to parents.

All of these elements are what makes this device a good idea.

atomtanned

Delinquent
Years
  • Seen Oct 17, 2022
It's pretty much a 3DS made for children; no 3D images, no hinges to snap, and a big bulky design.
It's releasing on Pokemon X & Y's release date too... which is also proof of Nintendo's plan. Releasing a very kid-friendly gaming console, with kid-friendly games, at adult-affordable prices in time for the holiday season of 2013 is definitely an ingenious idea.

This. It's not marketed towards anyone in this forum -- it's meant to be a sturdy, cheaper alternative to the 3DS for young children. That's why the design is clunky -- so a 5 or 6 year old can drop it without any issues. I think it's a great idea on Nintendo's part. If I had a young kid, I definitely wouldn't be giving them anything worth nearly $200 to play with, when it's so easily broken.

Oshamaru

Legs go, Megaman!
Years
I honestly thought this was a joke. Seriously, I did.
The design itself doesn't look very comfortable, but I don't think its a bad move.
This is perfect for little kids. Since they're still not so cautious and may drop it, it doesn't look like it could be damaged...much.

This is also perfect for people who want to play the 3DS Games, especially X and Y, but don't want a normal 3DS.

Last edited:

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2017
I'm not buying this. It feels too much like a waste of money. I'll stick to my regular 3DS for the time being.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
This is going to sound silly, but I kind of wish this was released along with the 3DS. I never use the 3D feature on the 3DS, with the exception of cutscenes in Ocarina of Time. That's it.

I actually like the design and the concept, and as a Nintendo handheld collector, I will be purchasing one! Not in the near future, but eventually, haha. The only problem I'm seeing is portability. Nintendo handhelds have been very travel friendly since the GBA SP because you could fold it and the screen wouldn't get scratched up, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't see a way to do that with the 2DS. It's a nice novelty though, and I'm very anal about my collecting, so yeah. Still getting one, even though it seems people aren't too fond of this thing. I think it's cute. :)

Edit: Even though kids won't be able to break this thing with hinges, I'm really worried about the screens, especially the bottom one. :x Kids are reckless. Both my brother and sister broke their DS hinges, and this thing is gonna get scratched up from the flo' up without a safe storage method. Though that's where carrying cases come in, I suppose. This thing won't fit in mine...and I have about four lmao. Oh well, new ones will be made.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
It the design is horrible, no 3D, can't close - I wouldn't use it for gaming.... I may end up buying one just to trade between X & Y (nothing more - and just to say "I own one").

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
Edit: Even though kids won't be able to break this thing with hinges, I'm really worried about the screens, especially the bottom one. :x Kids are reckless. Both my brother and sister broke their DS hinges, and this thing is gonna get scratched up from the flo' up without a safe storage method. Though that's where carrying cases come in, I suppose. This thing won't fit in mine...and I have about four lmao. Oh well, new ones will be made.
I was always such a careful kid with my handhelds. I barely understand the argument that kids drop them all the time and damage the hinges. I... are kids really that careless with consoles? I suppose the answer to that is yes but it baffles me that people could treat consoles like that. Maybe it's because I got my first so late in my childhood that I well knew how expensive they were to replace or something. Though to be fair, consoles are a lot flimsier now than they were back when Nintendo first started putting them out...

Besides, this just seems bigger and more cumbersome to carry... so wouldn't that make it even more prone to dropping? Plus, the fact that you can no longer keep the screens safe in transit makes me question whether it's really as kid-friendly as people are saying it will be. :s People are making it seem similar to tablets like the iPad and whatnot, but those can have cases. I can't think of a feasibly effective casing for this thing because the shaping is really awkward, so I don't see how it's more kid-friendly than the other DS designs.

PhoenixWright77

Pokémaster Attorney
Years
  • Seen May 17, 2015
It the design is horrible, no 3D, can't close - I wouldn't use it for gaming.... I may end up buying one just to trade between X & Y (nothing more - and just to say "I own one").
I want to ask something. Just how many people actually used the 3D more then 5 times? Me and most of my friends don't, I know that. The 3D was a nice feature and all but I found myself completely forgetting the 3D after a few days with the system. I'm not sure if it's just me, but 3D makes it hard for me to focus on the game, especially if it's filled with fast-paced action.

Also, now that I think about it, Super Mario 3D Land had some sections where it helps if you turn the 3D on.(Pretty much the game where I used it most because of that) But, I don't really think that would be a problem. It was not used that much as far as I know.(I never did 100% on that game but I did beat the main story and some of the bonus worlds and, as far as I can recall, I only had to use it like 2-3 times and it's perfectly doable without the 3D)

Also, I don't see why so many people are hating on the design. I mean...it looks exactly like an open 3DS with the buttons moved up. It's really not so bad people. I've read a hands on that says it's rather comfortable so it won't interfere with gaming or anything.

Also, you can actually close it in a way. There is a slider that simulates the closing of the screen.

Last edited:
Years
I'm confounded by the "It isn't portable" remarks. Portable just means you can carry it around. A ****ing laptop is portable. Also, there is a slider that can put the system into sleep mode that replicates closing the lid in 3DS so "portability" isn't even that much of an issue.

Anyways this is it, the annual release of a Nintendo console. Some don't want the 3D capability so if you're looking for a cheaper device that can play 3DS games, then this is for you.

PhoenixWright77

Pokémaster Attorney
Years
  • Seen May 17, 2015
One thing that irks me though, one that's so frustrating I have to stress this in all caps.

STILL NO SECOND ANALOGUE STICK. WHAT WERE YOU THINKING, NINTENDO.
Can't believe Nintendo forgot about that AGAIN!:| I really hope they do make an addon to it so that I can play Kid Icarus Uprising without cramping my hands(Easily my favorite 3DS game)

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
Years
One thing that irks me though, one that's so frustrating I have to stress this in all caps.

STILL NO SECOND ANALOGUE STICK. WHAT WERE YOU THINKING, NINTENDO.

IIRC, Nintendo already stated that the second analog stick will always be an accessory.

I'll be honest, I kinda like this thing. Yes, it can't fold, but on the other hand, no hinges, so it's a given it will last longer than other variations of the 3DS. As for 3D, it's a feature I can't use for longer than one minute, the only time I found it actually useful was in Ocarina of Time during the first fight against Ganondorf, so if it isn't there, I won't miss it. As for how comfortable it will be, I trust Nintendo.

I wanted to buy a second 3DS to trade with myself for some time. If I wasn't already planning on buying a classic 3DS with a preinstalled capture card, I would wait for this to come out, that's for sure.

Back