• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Cartoon,Video Game, and Internet Meme Refferences in Hacks

Masterge77

Robot Mienshao
Years
While I will mind an occasional reference to a popular TV show, I am AGAINST having memes spam any hack I am playing, as it just annoys me.

ShockHERO

#TeamSonia Member
Years
I Actually agree with the negative replies, because after a while they do get annoying, Memes i mean, and as for other refferences i actually approved

cazzler

Feraligatr FtW!
Years
I love references (not too much though) also when I least expect it, an example of one I enjoyed was in Pokemon Identity, if you'd walk up to a TV (In some sort of rest house) and hit 'A' it shows the text (can't really remember it): Yo thats great, I'mma let you finish, but Shiny Gold is the best Hack out there! or something like that lol. (referencing Kanye West)

EdensElite

No0b, but getting there.
Years
  • Age 29
  • UK
  • Seen Jul 4, 2014
I personally think that they are a fun way of seperating long, dull, boring speeches; however I think, for the most part at least, SHOULD be subtle. Internet references are a no-go. Most of them are unfunny. Some are ok, but not the famous ones like over 9000 etc. I think they are a essential part of hacking however.

teejermiester

Minnesotan, you betcha!
Years
Internet stuff is to be refrained from being used, but I love the occasional reference. However, there is a fine point to which it can be placed in a hack and where it shouldn't. For example, someone randomly shouting some reference is just the creator saying "Hey, I'm too lazy to think up a decent script so here you go,". The reference has to be well known (and liked) enough so that most people will know what it is but not so overused that people groan when they hear it, it must be incorporated enough so it doesn't stand out, and it can't be used over and over in the hack. An occasional shout-out to something might instill a few laughs here and there, but the same "OVER 9000!!! omg" might WILL get tiring if used more than once. Too many references make them game dumb and average. Balance is definitely a concept here: no offsetting the Force.

Years
  • Age 39
  • Seen May 10, 2014
I may reference a show or something when concerning TV's that have no show on at that time, but I'm on the fence about it. Mostly because until you have some shows on, they all say the same thing (I believe, been a while since I played Emerald). So it really wouldn't make sense that everyone would watch the same show 24/7, unless you're on TV

KeitaroHirochi

Inconsistent Hacker
Years
  • Seen May 7, 2022
Using memes in a hack is a bad idea, I think i should only be done if a meme is character trait (even if for example NyanCat as a character trait will make said character annoying, I'mma firin' mah lazor could be accurate for a guy who has everyone in his team know HyperBeam), or then use any meme only ONCE in the whole storyline.

Years
  • Seen Dec 6, 2023
But... even GameFreak does fill the game with references and inside jokes...

Okay, most of them are just in the Japanese version (and most of these would be lost in translation anyway. Search about the Nugget Bridge reference in the first R/G games and you'll see what I mean)

But some of them are done, and some mention memes. It was caught on my radar, that in HG/SS, one of the NPC's in Saffron City says something on the lines of "The Magnet Train... How does it work?", in an obvious (but at the same time, subtle) meme reference.

I'm fully-on about using these references, but please, do it the right way.

Years
  • Seen Mar 10, 2013
But some of them are done, and some mention memes. It was caught on my radar, that in HG/SS, one of the NPC's in Saffron City says something on the lines of "The Magnet Train... How does it work?", in an obvious (but at the same time, subtle) meme reference.

Wow that's really impressive.

Especially because "****ing magnets, how do they work?" wasn't a meme until April of last year - a month after HG/SS came out.

Even more amazingly, the line "How does the MAGNET TRAIN work?" is taken verbatim from the original script to Gold and Silver, like a lot of lines in HG/SS.

Last edited:

Awkward Squirtle

,@,e .ºoO
Years
  • Seen Jan 29, 2016
There are still a few in the official games, such as 'a winner is you' (although it was used in G/S before it became an internet meme, it's very likely that its origin is the same; also, it was used in D/P). I remember there being another meme in D/P, but can't remember which one it was. IIRC it was said by a Galactic Grunt near the Valley Windworks.

But most of the time, memes are just obnoxious and annoying; I'd probably stop playing a hack if it started throwing memes in my face.

Years
  • Seen Feb 11, 2012
I think taking memes and making them relevant to the Pokemon world/setting would be find. As was mentioned before, the child bug trainer stating his Caterpie's level is over 9000 would be fine by me as I get the joke AND it's made relevant to Pokemon. Memes that aren't pertaining to Pokemon or the world/setting in anyway don't seem to jive well in my mind.

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
Years
I never get tired of references, as long as they're well placed and fitting. A professor saying "It's dangerous to go alone, take this Pokemon" wouldn't work because it'd be too in the way and obvious. However, an NPC saying "Bowties are cool," or someone describing something as "20% cooler" would be subtle enough and hilarious.

hinkage

Everyone currently in an argument with this member
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 22, 2024
I never get tired of references, as long as they're well placed and fitting. A professor saying "It's dangerous to go alone, take this Pokemon" wouldn't work because it'd be too in the way and obvious. However, an NPC saying "Bowties are cool," or someone describing something as "20% cooler" would be subtle enough and hilarious.

I guarentee you that anything else in the world would be funnier than that.

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
Years
References are great in my opinion, especially trying to get them all. Seeing something and then wondering "Where did I hear that? Oh yeah, _______!" I find them fun.

Memes, however, are a big no-no. In hacks, I find them generally annoying when they're used a lot. Maybe sparingly and subtle, they can be used. But I'd prefer they not be used at all, and I'm not including any in my project.

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
Years
I guarentee you that anything else in the world would be funnier than that.
Was that really necessary? Humor is a matter of opinion.

Anyways those are just examples using my favorite fandoms. You don't have to like them, they're just an example on how subtle I think any reference should be.

Back