• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Released] Pokémon Nightmare

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokemaster X

I own all the starters.
Years
Job

Can I be a beta tester please. Sadly I have no real experience, but hey, i have to start SOMEWHERE, right? So please let me be a tester, thanx.

D. Lawride

Audi Famam Illius, Scriptor!
Years
Hum, sure. Unfortunately, we'll be posting a demo pretty soon, which means the beta testing phase is already over.

If you stick around, though, you could still beta test the second demo.

D. Lawride

Years
nightmare_title_by_donlawride-d35s051.gif

Just click the Release image to download, or click here: Pokémon Nightmare First Release

Last edited:

Dark Pulse94

Scienta Potentia Est
Years
wow, just saw this from your Sig, and it's Awesome man! Loved the idea of items over HM's, although I think ones such as Surf may be better, as Surf and Waterfall are actually quite strong moves to learn...

I'd love to do some Fakemon Designing! it'd be an honour to have the Fakemon 've already started included in this game...

(note: do you want completely new fakemon? or will you allow things such as prevo's and evo's of current Pokemon (such as Dunsparce, he desperately needs an evo)

(also note: I'm asking this because I can't see the fakemon image you included in your post, I think that may need revision)

well, yeah, Love to help out, and I'm joining DeviantArt now (I already have IRL friends on, I just needed an excuse XD)

D. Lawride

Years
wow, just saw this from your Sig, and it's Awesome man! Loved the idea of items over HM's, although I think ones such as Surf may be better, as Surf and Waterfall are actually quite strong moves to learn...

I'd love to do some Fakemon Designing! it'd be an honour to have the Fakemon 've already started included in this game...

(note: do you want completely new fakemon? or will you allow things such as prevo's and evo's of current Pokemon (such as Dunsparce, he desperately needs an evo)

(also note: I'm asking this because I can't see the fakemon image you included in your post, I think that may need revision)

well, yeah, Love to help out, and I'm joining DeviantArt now (I already have IRL friends on, I just needed an excuse XD)

Why thanks! =D

Well, Surf and Waterfall (along with all other moves) won't seize to exist as moves (I'm considering making them belong a special kind of moves), and players will still be able tot each them. They just won't be used as actual HMs to cross the water, etc.

And yes, of course; any help we can get is welcomed. Just join in and I'll direct you to our Lead Fakemon Designer.

It's curious that you mention Dunsparce, as our Fakemon designer's done an evolution of it already; of course, since the game insists largely in branched evolution, I'm confident there wouldn't be much trouble. And we could always use two heads thinking about the subject xD

And thanks for mentioning that; I'll edit the post with the proper image.

D. Lawride

Years
awesome man, thanks a bunch...

oh? Fighting/Pshychic/Dark Starters? I'd thought about that for a while now...

well anyway, I've joined the DeviantArt group, so I'm looking forward to it!

Cool! =D

I'm going to talk to Midnitez to let you in soon.

Meanwhile, I've another release:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------V1.1-----------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
This new version should have several corrections, such as the overpowered trainer problem and even the sound and save functions should now work.

All I regret is that the text boxes may not yet show up. But hey, it's good progress. Just try to read xD

Additionally, you can also copy the previous save to this folder to load it from there so that nothing is lost, for the changes were not made in-game.

One more thing, there's a Readme inside now, containing all the credits.

<strong>In case you can't hear those sounds when you choose an option, etc., just press F1 and tick the box corresponding to "PLAY BGS and SE".</strong>
But if you hate them as much as I do, just leave it. x3

DOWNLOAD LINK

D. Lawride

Years
So it seems the demo release went pretty well! =D

Now that the first demo is out, it's time to get back to work. So this time, I want YOUR opinion on what to do.

If you're an avid checker of our pages on deviantArt, you probably noticed that we're currently making changes to the battle system.

Instead of explaining it all throughly, I'll leave three previews and the description here. I would like an opinion on which of the three looks better.
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Here are the links to all three, respectively:
Preview 1
Preview 2
Preview 3

Explanations

Beginning the Battle​

You are shown three options when you enter a battle:
Fight
Pokémon
Escape

Fight is an obvious option; it opens up the four other options:

Physical -» Contains all the Physical moves the Pokémon can perform;
Special -» Contains all the Special moves the Pokémon can perform;
Item -» Contains all the items the trainer owns.
Guard -» Should the move hit, the damage is slightly reduced, depending on the Defense or Special Defense stat. It also increases the chances of dodging a move.

Pokémon allows you to switch the order of your Pokémon before the battle, or switch the current Pokémon if you are already in the battle.

Escape allows you to attempt to escape the battle.

(The following applies to preview 2)

Notice the levels, and then the moves.

Let's assume that the Lucario only learned one move from level 1 to 6, and kept it until it was level 60.

The move Quick Attack was upgraded into Extremespeed, which hits harder and probably has more effects.

Moves that are simply improved versions would simply replace the ones below them.

Another viable example is Bite. After leveling up, the Pokémon would 'forget' Bite and learn Crunch. There are n examples to this.

--------------------------------------------------------

Okay people! Give me your opinion on which of them looks better!

D. Lawride

Years
I like the third option personally. I don't really like having the art in battles like that, the sprites seem to fit better.

Definately the 3rd one. It is alot more eye appealing.

Alright, thanks to both for voting! :D

That leaves the 3rd version way ahead of the other two, counting the votes on dA.

It's true that the sprites do look better on the screen. xD

D. Lawride

Years
Alright then, we've finally made the decision based on the votes we received and some discussion within the team. We decided that the new battle system is now based upon option C.

battle_interface_v__sprite_by_donlawride-d36stbc.png

Here are some examples of sprites we've got ready for use, all custom:

Spoiler:

You can also find them on deviantArt:

http://pkmn-nightmare.deviantart.com/gallery/

So that's it people, thanks for voting, and I hope you keep following us!

By the way, I'm also using a Twitter account for whoever wants to keep track of the project and other stuff, so go and bug us if you feel curious xD

D. Lawride

Years
looks brilliant, although i do believe those screeshots are a little outdated now.

Hm, that's true... I've started working on it.

i love the new battle system, this would be one game im excited for

Thanks a lot! =D

Okay, so I also took the time to update several of the maps on the first page. Go check them out! xD

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2014
This looks pretty nice. That physic pokemon kind of seems like it dreams of being psychic/electric. :P

I really like the amount of detail you put in to your mapping, on the other hand, I'm kind of bothered by the fact that a battle sequence takes place on some floating space with a mountain in the background. It just looks weird. you could try editing the original image to give it some sort of ground, so that it doesn't look like they are using floating battle platforms made out of grass.

Your fakemon concepts kind of look a little too gritty for the pokemon style, but eh, that's just a minor nitpick. Your title screen also kind of brings your project at a disservice. It looks so plain, and the outline looks jagged and pixelly. Why don't you stylize the Pokemon logo, too? It would fit in with the rest of your text and it will look pretty cool imo.

D. Lawride

Years
This looks pretty nice. That physic pokemon kind of seems like it dreams of being psychic/electric. :P

I really like the amount of detail you put in to your mapping, on the other hand, I'm kind of bothered by the fact that a battle sequence takes place on some floating space with a mountain in the background. It just looks weird. you could try editing the original image to give it some sort of ground, so that it doesn't look like they are using floating battle platforms made out of grass.

Your fakemon concepts kind of look a little too gritty for the pokemon style, but eh, that's just a minor nitpick. Your title screen also kind of brings your project at a disservice. It looks so plain, and the outline looks jagged and pixelly. Why don't you stylize the Pokemon logo, too? It would fit in with the rest of your text and it will look pretty cool imo.

Maybe he will become a Psychic Electric one level day :3

Before anything, thanks for the cc you just gave here, and thanks for the commendation. I'm glad the mapping looks good xD

Now then, we're fortunately making a big change in the battle system, as you've probably seen from the most recent screenshots and previews. So not to worry; that will be fixed.

About the Fakemon, well, we wanted to focus more on the nightmare field rather than anything else, so we opted to use these. As for the title screen... sorry. My art skills are waaaaaaay below average xD

So, thanks a lot! =D

D. Lawride

Years
So, I took the time to update the first post with a few maps, and also show two of the new Fakemon to join our collection:

Two NEW Eeveelutions to join the bunch!

Necreon
necreon_by_xxlsalimuslxx-d398k9l.gif

Adreon
aerial_adreon_by_xxlsalimuslxx-d39bjuf.png

The creator was our spriter Salimus, by the way. Hope you enjoy them! =D

Years
this looks really good. i like the battle system. I've always wanted to play a pokemon game with a 3rd person view battle system. The two Eevees looks pretty good. By looking at Necreon (and his name) I'm guessing its a ghost type. I think it should be changed a little because it kind of looks like Glaceon. Although the flashing color is a nice touch. Adreon kind of reminds me of the Pidgey family, so I'm guessing that its a flying type. Anyway, whether I'm wrong or right, you should probably put their types next to their names. I am a little surprised that this hasnt made it to the showcase yet. Seems like you have made a lot to go on.

Gonna download the demo and try it out a later

Edit: May I suggest uploading your game to a website such as Megaupload. My virus protection (McAfee) popped up and said the site had potentially dangerous/unwanted files. If you upload to some kind of sharing site, you wont have problems in the future.

Last edited:

Invokez

Formerly Known as SytheXP
Years
  • Seen Feb 24, 2011
Looks lovely, Im downloading the demo now. Love the Necreon concept looks epic. Also love that dark fish evo line and the fighting evo line. Not a fan of the psychic one though but still good job :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back