• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

BW Water Monotype Team (Please Rate :3)

Team Phantasm Leader Grim

Team Phantasm Leader
Years
So I'm planning on using this team for a monotype tournament, and I wanted to know if there were any things I should change before I go ahead and start training and whatnot.

Cloyster @ Life Orb (Skill Link)
252 Att / 252 Spd / 4 HP (Jolly)
- Rock Blast
- Icicle Spear
- Razor Shell
- Shell Smash

Okay, so Cloyster is one of the heavier hitters on this team; Skill Link makes Rock Blast and Icicle Spear automatically get 5 hits in, and Icicle Spear doubles as a STAB move for an adorable 250pwr move. Rock Blast also gets a cute 125pwr, making it stronger than Stone Edge, and it can take out bulky flying, fire and ice-types. Razor Shell gets STAB plus a 50% chance to lower the foe's defense by 1, allowing even harder hits next turn (assuming the foe survives.) Shell Smash is the real gem in this set, cutting down Cloyster's already naturally beautiful defense (meaning it's no problem losing those extra points) and it's naturally terrible special defense (again, no problem) to raise its attack, special attack and speed by an impressive 2 points. That's like Swords Dance, Nasty Plot and Agility mixed into one move. <3 Plus the additional speed EVs make it pretty fast, giving it a chance to OHKO a lot of foes before they get to take their turn.

Jellicent @ Leftovers (Water Absorb)
252 Sp.Def / 252 HP / 4 Sp.Atk (Calm)
- Recover
- Substitute
- Scald
- Energy Ball / Shadow Ball

Jellicent is an amazing special sponge, arguably better than Tentacruel because it has access to much better moves like Recover, Energy Ball and Pain Split. I put its HP EVs at 252, making it able to take even more hits than usual (which is already quite a few.) It's a great counter against most water and fighting type pokes, being invulnerable to both of their type of move. Substitute lets you pay a little HP to make a dummy to take hits for you, then you follow up with Recover to restore that lost HP, and considering the dummy is still on the field, you can attack from behind your barrier to get a few free shots in. Scald gets STAB and a chance to burn the opponent. I couldn't decide between either Energy Ball or Shadow Ball. Energy Ball gets coverage over most ground/rock/water foes, but Shadow Ball gets STAB and can take out ghosts and psychic-types. And he's adorable ^-^

Starmie @ Choice Specs (Natural Cure)
252 Sp.Att / 252 Spd / 4 Sp.Def (Modest)
- Surf
- Thuderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Psychic

To be completely honest, Starmie didn't benefit much from BW and it lost a lot of slots in competitive teams. But Starmie has an excellent list of special moves to choose from, spanning lots of different types. For this set, I maxed out Starmie's special attack and gave it the Choice Specs to further increase the power of its special moves. Surf is more reliable than Hydro Pump and still gets STAB, Thunderbolt will OHKO most water/flying-types, Ice Beam will OHKO (again) most flying-types, but also doubles as a counter to pesky grass and dragon-types. Psychic gets STAB as well plus has a chance to lower the foe's special defense, making it more damaging the next turn. I maxed out its already high speed to, giving it more chances to hit first.

Crawdaunt @ Leftovers (Shell Armor)
252 Att / 252 Spd / 4 Def (Adamant)
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall / Crabhammer
- X-Scissor
- Brick Break

Crawdaunt didn't benefit much from BW either and retains mostly the same move set it sees every generation; Swords Dance/Dragon Dance and three physical moves. Dragon Dance raises attack and speed by 1, which is the trend in this Crawdaunt set. It normally has pretty terrible speed, and now with maxed out EVs and help from Dragon Dance, it's only a little more than basic. You won't get many first hits with Crawdaunt, but it still hits hard with a 130 base attack stat, improved still by Dragon Dance. Waterfall and Crabhammer both get STAB and Crabhammer is stronger, but Waterfall has 30% flinch. Crabhammer has a high critical hit ratio though, and so I kept it in the move set just in case, since a high critical coupled with a monstrous attack stat equal big damage. X-Scissor is super effective against grass, psychic and dark foes and also has a high critical, and Brick Break can take out bulky rock/dark/ice-types, as well as foes hiding behind Light Screen and Reflect.

Wailord @ Leftovers (Water Veil)
252 HP / 252 Sp. Att / 4 Spd
- Water Spout
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Hidden Power (Grass)

Wailord has an incredible HP stat, 170 to be exact, it's like the Blissey of the water pokemon world. It can take a lot of hits. And Water Spout has always been a necessity in its move set. It's power falls with its HP, so I gave it Rest to restore HP and Sleep Talk so it isn't useless during those turns that it is asleep. It may even get a Water Spout or two in during its nap. Hidden Power (Grass) will take down rock/ground/water types opposing Wailord, and gets good coverage around most of its weaknesses. The only problem is electric pokes, which Water Spout will have to settle for. Wailord's a great bulky special monster, and often clears out a fraction of the foes team before dying.

Swampert @ Choice Band (Torrent)
252 Att / 252 HP / 4 Def (Brave)
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Avalanche

Swampert is a great, bulky water type with a great typing since grass pokes don't see half as much competitive play as electric types, which its half ground-typing makes null and void. I gave it Choice Band to improve its already great, maxed attack and low speed to ensure it will usually get the last hit, making Avalanche brutal. Like I said, it has great bulk, so it can afford to hit last. Waterfall gets STAB and might make the foe flinch, Earthquake is the second STAB move, and is one of the best moves in the game. Stone Edge can obliterate flying/ice/bug pokes and has a helpful high critical hit ratio, Avalanche gets double power if it hits last and its power rises to 180.

Please rate this team and tell me what you think :) It took me over an hour to write this. xD (Also, sorry for any grammatical mistakes I may have missed while typing.)

Lezza

The Guy who loves Braviarys
Years
Closter needs Focus Sash.
So there is atleast 1 hit as maybe Tbolt will take it down in 1 hit........

Jellicent, I prefer Shadow ball, but its our choice

Starmie, Lose Pschic for rapid Spin

Crawdaut and Wailord look good

Swampert could use Stelth Rocks instead of Avalance??

GL with team though

Team Phantasm Leader Grim

Team Phantasm Leader
Years
Oh wow, I completely forgot that Starmie had Rapid Spin -___- I feel pretty stupid now. Yeah, Psychic was kind of my filler move anyway. And thanks for reminding me that Swampert could get Stealth Rock - I forgot that was a TM in DPPl/HG/SS, I'll have to get a mudkip in SoulSilver and give it Stealth Rock before I send it over. :)

Back