• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Scritchy Scratchies!

Dankesque

Ace Trainer
Years
Hey there! I'm an oldbie Pokemon spriter recently lured back into the fandom. I mostly do scratch sprites now. Constructive criticism is always welcome!

The d(0w0)b emote means go for it! Sprites with this symbol next to them are free for public use (don't forget to credit me, though!) Anything else is off rimits!

See my sprites in action in Pokemon: The Tempest!

Latest update: 07/04/10: added two trainer sprites
07/02/10: added Lycao and moth backsprites

Fakemon
Spoiler:

Mememon
Spoiler:

Trainers
Spoiler:

Animations
Spoiler:

More stuff will be posted here whenever I feel like making it!

Last edited:

Professor W.

Squirtle Fan
Years
I love you work, seriously. I envy your skill. Your outlines are smooth and accurate, and the shading is top-notch. I love the moth-in-a-dress, might I reccomend the name Flanity (Flight+vanity)? I seriously want an Advice Puppy and Yarly. Keep it up, and I hope to see more!

(Just a suggestion- for a future Mememon, how a about one based on Clippy and a Polandball?)

~Prof. W.

Last edited:

Dankesque

Ace Trainer
Years
@Professor W.: Thank you! Flanity is a nice name, though I keep thinking of sweet custard desserts when I say it...

And OH GOSH CLIPPY. He could be one of those Geodude/Zubatesque Pokemon that pop up EVERYWHERE and you just want them to go away forever. Thank you muchly for the suggestion.

@Samson: Your praise really means a lot to me. I'm a big fan of your spritework; I think it's some of the best on the site.

mulch_ar

What should I type here?
Years
Wow, you're really good. I really like your style of shading, especially on Lycao & Lycaon. Well, I suggest you to maybe change the name of Lycao/Lycaon, the names are too similar :D

And I can't take my eyes off that spinning Mew :P Great work, keep 'em up!

Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 10, 2020
Oh man oh man you are really good! What I wouldn't give to be able to sprite like that... The advice dog line is probably my favourite, although I can't stop staring at that Mew animation-- it's so smooth!

Do you have a deviantart? I'd like to see more!

Chibi Robo

of the entire epoch!
Years
  • Age 28
  • Cali
  • Seen Apr 2, 2013
Probably what I say is the best thing in the pixel art here is the lineart. Personally I believe you can add much more detail into the shading since pokemon style shading in my opinion quite basic. Try adding some fur textures onto those dog and bird sprites. As for the mew animation it is quite smooth, I love the expression and of course the lineart, now this Im going to make an exception for lack of texture since mew only has very small hair on its body.

But anyways nice sprites I hope you can put that constructive criticism to work and pop out an even more gorgeous sprite.

Dankesque

Ace Trainer
Years
mothspriteback2.png
lycaoback.png

My first ever scratched backsprites! The little moth was awful to get looking decent, and I'm not too happy with it even now. But Lycao turned out excellent in my opinion.

---

Wow, you're really good. I really like your style of shading, especially on Lycao & Lycaon. Well, I suggest you to maybe change the name of Lycao/Lycaon, the names are too similar :D

And I can't take my eyes off that spinning Mew :P Great work, keep 'em up!
You're absolutely right, they are too similar. Those two names were just halfarsed off of the scientific name for the African Wild Dog so they'd have names. Gotta think of better ones...

Oh man oh man you are really good! What I wouldn't give to be able to sprite like that... The advice dog line is probably my favourite, although I can't stop staring at that Mew animation-- it's so smooth!

Do you have a deviantart? I'd like to see more!
Zephyr, thank you! I have a deviantart here, but it's years old and I have no sprite work on it. The only other sprites I have are ancient beasts that I'd rather leave dead.

Probably what I say is the best thing in the pixel art here is the lineart. Personally I believe you can add much more detail into the shading since pokemon style shading in my opinion quite basic. Try adding some fur textures onto those dog and bird sprites. As for the mew animation it is quite smooth, I love the expression and of course the lineart, now this Im going to make an exception for lack of texture since mew only has very small hair on its body.

But anyways nice sprites I hope you can put that constructive criticism to work and pop out an even more gorgeous sprite.
To be completely honest, I stick to the simplistic Pokemon spriting style because I really am not experienced with other styles of spriting. I like to hide in boxes where I know I'm good at something because new stuff is scary!

But you're right, these could look a whole lot better if I branched out and tried new things. Your sprites are giving me a heckuva lotta inspiration. Thank you for the critique!

Last edited:

dead-man-walking

Alive and well
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Aug 6, 2023
Fakemons:
Moth looked badass. Lycao looked cute with those droppy ears. :3
Lycaon's ears are fine, methinks.

Mememons:
OH GOD THE HORROR OF 4CHAN D:

Trainers:
Eh... Nothing much to say. Can be better.

Animations:
Cute Mew is cute :3

I really like your works, especially Mew and Moth. I'll be stalking this thread. :D

Quilava's Master

Shattered Dreams '13
Years
  • Seen Aug 14, 2023
I also think that the evolved dog would look excellent with bigger ears, makes for better continuity in my opinion.

Dankesque

Ace Trainer
Years
slugmaderp.gif

I've been drawing sekrit sprites from The Tempest and haven't been able to post them here... so here's something amusing! I didn't draw this; it's one of the "catch 'em" sprites from R/S Pokemon Pinball. I merely added the text after catching a Slugma on there and noting how utterly exploitable his animation was. Expect more Pokemon to be getting this treatment.

dead-man-walking

Alive and well
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Aug 6, 2023
slugmaderp.gif

I've been drawing sekrit sprites from The Tempest and haven't been able to post them here... so here's something amusing! I didn't draw this; it's one of the "catch 'em" sprites from R/S Pokemon Pinball. I merely added the text after catching a Slugma on there and noting how utterly exploitable his animation was. Expect more Pokemon to be getting this treatment.
DERP
HERP
DURRRR
HURRRRRRRR

xD Awesome job on the text!

= GPR =

Birding Extraordinaire
Years
I can sit here and say these are amazing, but you've already been told that a million times. lol
I can tell you how much I love them (especially the owl Yarly) but you could probably care less!

BUT!!! I can tell you that i'm especially impressed with the mew animation, not for the smoothness, but for the fact that you made it in only 8 frames. haHA! not another stale repetitive post ^_^

But really, i'm very impressed with mew. To have that much flow and in so little frames is hard to do. But even more, you were able to craft the individual sprites so beautifully so they eased into eachother almost effortly. Let me say I really appreciate the time you put into that animation, and I hope everyone realizes that your mew animation is not your typical spriting, it is absolutely professional and advanced.

In all honesty, you have some of the greatest spriting skills i have EVER seen... and i've seen some great spriters. Your quality is wonderful and your style is very professional. Your sprites, such as the moth, could be a trick 5th generation pokemon and 95% of the world would believe it.

But, there is one thing that has to go and ruin all this... and that's pikaman's legs... the shading transition from the torso to the thighs is really bizarre... the large excess of light toned yellow is too much, no? also, (HIS) right arm is a bit off with the anatomy... it looks like it's being twisted backwards... instead of being upwards like a shaking fist pose... overall, this sprite bothers me... almost as much the pikaman glitch it's self! lol

Nevertheless, these are amazing pieces of work! I'm thoroughly impressed with them! Please keep sharing you wonderful art!

Keep Spriting!

Years
  • Seen Aug 5, 2013
Just to let people know, Dankesque has made several more trainer sprites and OW sprites for them, but she hasn't been online much lately to update this thread. If you click on the link to "The Tempest" in her first post, and then scroll down to the "Character Bios" section, you will see some more of her fabulous trainer sprites! I just think it would be a sad thing if they weren't seen by the all the spriters here :)

Atomic Reactor

I love how you took Advice Dog and made your own derivitives as if they it evolved. (unless those are real, and i just havnt seen them?)
Really awesome work man!

Years
  • Seen Dec 31, 2010
mothsprite.png

This one is my favorite. The shading on this one is fantastic. Is this one completely from scratch?

Back