• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

It's Raining Cats and Dogs- Feline/Canine Pokemon Club

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
And the idea of having a loyal companion that can torch, cut, bite, shock, punch, kick, and all sorts of other things is pretty cool. It's a concept that works pretty well.

In my mind, this is the reason there's so many. People love having pets and having such a loyal and friendly design for a Pokémon makes it seem like the perfect companion that everyone will want to use (see Growlithe/Arcanine). Also since the market for Pokémon is primarily for kids/teenagers (very disputable I know, but this isn't the place for that and I'm talking generally!), it makes sense to have Pokémon which mimic their pets and help them relate the franchise to what they love and what they care about in real life since they'll start caring for the Pokémon in the same way. Plus they're just really easy basic concepts to base a Pokémon on anyway since you could add so much to a basic cat/dog and there's so many different breeds, so you can get a lot of diverse Pokémon coming from them.

PLUS THEY'RE ALL JUST SO DARN CUTE n.n ♥

arbok

cobra pokemon
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 10, 2013
There are so many dog/cat designs because they're relatable.
You feel more attached to a dog or cat than you do a Pokeball or an Ice cream.
Good example is how I have always loved Growlithe. Always. From the moment I saw the puppy I knew I wanted one and even now I have just finished White 2 with an Arcanine on my team. Another of my favorites I have finished White 2 with is Magnezone. I spent years not caring about the Magnemite line one bit. It was only when I caught a Magnemite on a whim and raised it did I start to care about it, only when it won me a great many battles did I think it was cool.
It's because you can relate more with a puppy than a magnet.

Mononoke Hime

viva emptiness
Years
Name: Mononoke Hime

Do you prefer cats or dogs? Cats, meow~

Partner: Absol

Answer the current topic: There's so many cat/dog pokemons because cats and dogs are the most popular companion animals. So they would be a very popular design line in pokemon. It isn't everybody that like praying mantises or eels, but everybody likes cats/dogs.

CourageHound

Trust & Courage. Nothing More
Years
:O How did this club elude my attention for so long?? *woof*!!

Name: CourageHound
I prefer dogs. I like their pack attitude and adore their loyalness.
Partner: This is a tuffie for me, a tie between Entei and Arcanine. Anyone that has been to my profile knows Aranine is on my favs list and Entei isnt...well thats cuz legendaries have their own list apart from regular pokemon. Anyway I'm going to choose entei since arcanine seems so mainstream atm.

Answering the current topic:

I dont beleive its a mystery as to why theres so many dog/cat designed pokemon. Dogs and cats are two of the worlds most popular domesticated pet and are extreemly popular amongst history and foreign cultures.

Its pretty easy to create a pokemon from the idea of cats and dogs anyway. Just look at Persian and Stoutland. However simple ideas can manifest themselves into the shape or form of a cat or dog easily. Example Espeon and Umbreon(Dont quote me on this cuz I remember learning this a loong time ago. Just know it will be something like that.). Umbreon's design and name came from the edge of the shadow created from the sun called an Umbra. Of which the opposite is obviously the Espa, i.e. Espeon.
So even tho many complex forms or ideas of pokemon design come to mind, a simple and most times effective way of presenting or creating them would be in the form of our furry little friends. Heck, when i'm drawing the basis for half my animal designs are shaped after then redesign from dogs. Its not only the convince but how fond we are of them.

Last edited:

MelchiorFlyer

Flygon
Years
Name: Checkers (for short)
Cats or Dogs: Doggies!! The is so cute!!
Partner: Houndoom: He is soooo cool! WOOF!
Topic: I think there are so many dog/cat pokemon because they are so gosh darn cute! Everyone knows what a dog and cat is so. Not very many people know what an okapi is. (I do!!)

P.S. I like your siggy and pro pic, Zayphora. I love Turbo!

CourageHound

Years
Actually with gen theres at least one dog/cat like pokemon. And 5th gen I was so eager to give stoutland a shot!

dontstay96

Grass-man
Years
Name: dontstay96
Do you prefer cats or dogs?: Cats
Partner: Persian
Answer the current topic: Because they are cool!, and are very common in human life.

meow

Zayphora

Don't mess with the lights...
Years
Welcome! I apologize for not adding people to the list. I'll get a round to it soon~

Anyway, we could use a new topic.

As we all know, Gen 6 has been announced! What sorts of cats and dogs do you expect to see in Gen 6?

Arcturus.

Chews nails and spits napalm
Years
WOAH, THIS CLUB IS STILL ALIVE.

Anyway... To answer the current topic, as long as there is no ridiculous looking Pokemon in Gen 6, I'll be happy. And maybe they could shake up the types they normally use for dog and cat Pokemon. It would be cool to see another Electric-type, or maybe something we wouldn't expect, like a Poison-type. I don't know, just something... Unique.

CourageHound

Years
Answering Current Topic:

Thinking about all the past gens we've had, i'd like to see some more, out-of-the-box canine like pokemon. I'd love to see some kind of four-legged fighting type dog or some other unique type. I would be A-OK with another normal type as long as the design was interesting/sexy enough. By that I mean something along the line of outgoing and unique fur patterns and designs that really make it stand out. *thinks* I have this awesome idea in my head, but my thoughts are too scattered to illistrate it so i'll just leave it at that.

As for a feline pokemon, i'll just delegate that to a new eeveelution,

KriegStein

Nuclear Reactor
Years
Name: KriegStein
Do you prefer cats or dogs: I like dogs more. Eventhough i think cats are lovely and cute, i will stay with dogs.
Partner: Arcanine
Current topic: For dogs I would expect there to be a chihuahua (however its spelled) that would be a baby pokemon. With pink fur etc. Then it would have two evolutions. Next one would look like a Vippet (a small version of the sprinter) and final form would be a sprinter looking, very fast normal type. Also it is possible for a poodle (pudel, puudel however its spelled) type pokemon to appear. As for cats: A black panther type pokemon. Dark type of course. Another version whould be a snow leopard etc. Ice type naturaly. Or they could just make a 3form tiger evolution. Starting from the cub of course. And i think it would be fire or electric type.

Woof woof

Last edited:

Zayphora

Don't mess with the lights...
Years
Oh, hey guys! Sorry I haven't updated the user list. I promise I'll get around to it. Anyway, I agree that they should mix up the typing. I really want a water or grass dog.

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years
As we all know, Gen 6 has been announced! What sorts of cats and dogs do you expect to see in Gen 6?

Well, I don't really know. I mean, cats and dogs themselves are expected, but what kinds and what types they are, no one can really say. There are soooo many different breeds of cats and dogs, it's hard to say what their designs will be based off, and the only typing I can really think of is Normal. Of course they can be based off of mythical creatures based on cats and dogs, like the hellhounds of Hades and stuff, but no one can really predict which ones they are gonna use, and what types they'll be and all. I'm hoping for some good Pokemon though, especially on the cats' side, considering how weak they usually are :(

Last edited:

Galoria

Moo~ ♪
Years
Meoooow meoow <3

Username:
Galoria
Do you preferer dogs or cats: I would go for dogs, they're faithfuly :3
Your partner: Eevee
Answer the current topic:
I think they'll make more kitties. Because, to be honest, as a asian being, I love cats, and I think cats are too rare in Pokémon. As Lucario Arcanine Ninetales etc...They're more dogs look alike than Skitty. So yeah, I think they'll try to put one or two kitties in the new Gen.

KriegStein

Nuclear Reactor
Years
Oh god its been ages since I posted here... :'D oops.
Why do you think cat and dog Pokemon are often so weak? I think its because most of them are Normal type....I guess. (although most are not) :D Haha. But I guess they are mostly used as "filler" pokemon...you know those that are always everywhere hiding in grass. I realy dont understand it either...I mean there should be atleast few more strong cats/dogs. Thats something I would like to see in 6th gen.

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Oct 4, 2013
Name: Pichu00
Do you prefer cats or dogs? Cats. Meow!
Partner: Purrlion
Answer to current topic: Cats and Dogs are often favorite animals. I think they are trying to encourage people to play the games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back