• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Which starter did you choose?

Years
  • Seen Dec 13, 2010
Not got RSE but I started playing FR again today and chose Charmander, nicknamed the cute guy Firetail (:

Years
  • Seen Dec 21, 2010
First time through on Ruby, I picked Torchic, but Treecko is my favorite Gen 3 starter. For LeafGreen I picked Squirtle.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2010
Squirtle and Mudkip, Water-types are my favorites. <3; And besides their skills/stats are pretty impressive.

Otherworld9)

Bard of Rage
Years
  • Age 27
  • honk
  • Seen Jan 5, 2014
Sorry for the short post gone long

I picked Charmander, since when he evolves to Charizard, he permanently shuts down the ground weakness except for one that slipped off my mind while writing this, but for the other generation I choose Mudkip entirely. I mean, Mudkip evolves to a powerful pokemon, unless you hate his weakness for grass, which hurts when he gets them. Torchic is very good too, especially in his third evolution. Torchic would be my second choice after Mudkip.

Years
In Firered/Leafgreen, I usually always choose Bulbasaur. (Refuse to evolve the cute lil' guy) In Emerald/Ruby/Sapphire, my favorite would probably be Torchic, but I switch around starters sometimes.

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
Years
For some reason most of the starting gyms for most of the games (R/S, D/P/Pl, R/B/Y/Fr/Lg) was a Rock Type, so generally I started with Water Poke'mon. And then for like Silver and Gold, it just became a habit. So: Squirtle, Totadile, Mudkip and Piplup.

Weavile05

Currently Hacking BW
Years
I hate Blastoise and Piplup families. Never used Charizard or Venusaur much before, but both of those sound quite appealing. Mudkip and Totodile families FTW! My most successful run of Sapphire so far used a Mudkip (which never learned EQ before the E4) and my SS has Feraligatr as my Second highest pokemon AS WE SPEAK! (or...type?)

Kip

🔥 Fluffy Fire Fox
Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Apr 7, 2024
Ruby I went for Mudkip - to be honest this was before it became my favourite, because I wasn't too familiar or friendly with Gen III Pokémon at the time. But now I love it! ^^ I recently started a game of Emerald and chose it again.

FireRed I always go for Charmander, because Charizard is just the definition of awesome. Though weirdly on my very first Pokémon game (the original Red) I went for Squirtle. :/ Not sure what I was thinking then... then again, it was 11 years ago...

Giraffe

キリンリキ
Years
I mainly go with the Grass types.
I chose Treecko in Sapphire/Emerald, and Bulbasaur in Fire Red.

Years
Ive played sapphire a lot, and I started a new game a lot too. I always picked a another starter. I think the starters of this generation are so good, that its hard to choose! I can remember the first starter I picked at this game, and it was treecko. :)

氏 マイケル

Pika Pika!
Years
I remember playing these games from a long time ago... I chose Treecko, in all three games, Sapphire, Ruby, and Emerald, and then in FireRed and LeafGreen versions I chose Squirtle. I am very happy I chose these starters, because I work with Grass and Water Pokemon best.

Bellacrose

Lover of Wartortles
Years
I always chose and choose mudkip and squirtle o3o~ I love mudkips typing, not just cause of the "lul so i herd u liek mudkipz" thing. But a ground water type is an interesting combination! Squirtle was always my trusty sidekick. I remember catching Mewtwo with my Blastoise in one of the older games by spamming Ice beam and he went down to one health and froze.. Ever since then I've been a water starter person xD

Years
In FRLG I picked Bulbasaur while in RSE I picked Mudkip. A general fan of Water and Grass types, really dislike Fire types

Years
  • Seen Feb 22, 2011
For Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald, I went with Treecko mainly because he looked cooler and better than Mudkip and Torchic. It occured to me that not only was his looks more superior than the other 2 starters but his overall stats were spot on. Then Sceptile came along and although he looks like an overgrown frog, he still was the best.

For Fire Red, I went with Charmander. Not only is Charmander's 3rd evolve form is on the box it comes with but it was my favorite 1st gen starter. Charizard was my powerhouse and wiped the E4 clean in some areas. Mewtwo just killed those type-matchups that Charizard was allergic to.

Edit:
Going to start over and snatch the 3 RSE starters for my platinum for migration. Going to take a while. I'll be having 2 Anoriths and 1 Lileep with me as well :D

AMZMA

◄♪Begin Your Day With Musics♫►
Years
FR = Squirtle
E = Mudkip
coz, water is most important in my life and your life too.
go water go
Thirsty ?

Back