• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen New Legendary Pokemon - Xerneas and Yveltal

Which do you prefer?

• Pokemon X

Votes: 148 34.6%
  • Pokemon Y

Votes: 192 44.9%
  • Both

Votes: 88 20.6%

• Total voters
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
I like Yveltal. Once I saw it in the trailer, I knew I had to at least get the Y version. I just like flying creatures more than stags.

And since Xerneas was revealed by an oak tree, that could mean something.
One possible inspiration for Xerneas is the Irish Elk, which had the largest antler size of any mammal.

GFA

Mega Blastoise is my homeboy
Years
  • Seen Sep 7, 2018
I like Pokemon Yveltal 's design a whole lot more than Pokemon Xerneas', although I do like Xerneas, the thing is I can't say Pokemon Y's name. I know how Yves is pronounced in French, and I get that this region is supposedly French, by Yveltal confuses me. I dig the pseudo-Aztec like quality of it's name though.

Years
The new legends are very interesting, to say the least. Here are my thoughts:

BAFWuAVCIAE54iq.jpg

Xerneas. This is the one I prefer of the two. Those amazing christmas light and then how its very sleek from there down. I'm sick of big chunky legendaries, a nice change of pace! The dialga coloring is pretty interesting. And the sword feet are intriguing too. To be honest I wonder its able to walk since its antlers would weigh down its head, and its tiny sword feet would make it slip. And then how would it get up with the sword feet? The magic of Pokemon! Besides my nitpicking, I really like this legendary! :D

BAFWnEUCAAAHLZ3.jpg

And then Yveltal (whose name sounds very yiddish - kvetsh!) who I've been referring to as "the sheet ghost." Why is it so thin? And I'm wondering why it has cofagrigus's hands inside its body... I feel bad for the poor cofagrigus Yveltal ate! :O

But after looking at them, I'm supporting the theory that they are a compilation of pokemon DNA. (and perhaps that's where the less-pokemon look is coming from, since they're artificial) THey'd be like souped-up versions of Mewtwo, made using multiple pokemon's DNA. Maybe that's where the cofagrigus hands-veins-pattern thing comes from?

Can't wait for the backstory.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
I like the new names, Xerneas sounds Majestic while Yvetal sounds deadly. the ending of Yvetal sounds like the aztec wind god's... with the tal. That'll make it the third one based on it after Rayquaza, and Therian Tornadus. If so I'm guessing wind. In one of the myths the sky god had to sacrifice himself to bring back the dead humans who were killed off during the last era becoming polluted in the process to hell (similar to the polution in Yomi when Izanagi tried to rescue Izanami).

Years
They can't not be banking on the Yggdrasil. It's too obvius. And there has to be a Z Pokémon to be the root-biting snake in there somewhere.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
I'm hoping the flying thing is not a Dragon Type.
I've had it with legendary dragons, give other types a chance.
And not, adding a type to dragon.

I really want a new type to shine for legendary Mascots.

Years
I agree, ever since Rayquaza we've had a period of Dragon legendaries which was getting old by the time Kyurem came about. So now time for these two pokemon who aren't dragons (I hope) the first of their kind since Groudon and Kyogre (not counting remakes).
I'm hoping it's Nordish mythology, it'll be awesome and would support the Z snake theory.

Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2013
I'm going with Y. Like Groudom it seems to me more potent and demanding (than Kyogre at that time) than the fancy, yet still cool, elk. Also Yveltal reminds me of a Rathalos/wyvern from Monster Hunter series... ive dreamt of days where I could tame and train one!

Years
I love the Wyvern look, it's more Wyvern like imo than Reshiram was.
The Elk though is awesome too though, those horns...

I can't wait to see pokemon "Z".

User19sq

I really like both of them. Truth be told, I like Xerneas a bit more than Yveltal, but that's only because Xerneas has a better shot visual-wise while Yveltal's view is still a bit murky, save for its general shape, so I'm still waiting for a better view.

Otherwise, this is one of the rare Generations for me wherein I like both mascots. These games should be promising.

Last edited:

SolarAbusoru

Go Go PokéRangers
Years
I still cannot decide which one I would prefer, I'm teetering towards Yveltal cause of it's dark appearance though.

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
Well at least they have said how they're pronounced, or I would have never got it.

We've been getting a lot of questions about the pronunciation of the new Legendary Pokémon names. So here they are, Trainers! The official English phonetic spelling for Xerneas is ZURR-nee-us, and for Yveltal is ee-VELL-tall. How many of you already had it right?

Years
For Gen 4 I knew I wanted Dialga.
Gen 5, Resihram.
But now...for the first time ever I dont know which one I like more, they are both amazing. The past couple years they were all dragons, now these are so drastically different from each other, it isnt just a thing of colour scheme now.

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

Xerneas to me looks better, but we haven't really got a good look at Yveltal yet. I love Xerneas's horns, man they are majestic! Can't wait to find out types of these two amazing Pokemon!

Crystal Noel

RPG Maker VX Ace Scripter
Years
This is very cool. In terms of type I think they might do opposites like with Reshiram and Zekrom, Dialga and Palkia, and Groudon and Kyogre have done. Maybe they will introduce the Light type here. It would be very cool if the final battle was like in Black and White.
This has major details about the ending of Black and White do not continue reading unless you wish to be spoiled.
Spoiler:

Deceit

Toxic.
Years
The names are kind of odd, but I'm fine with it. Yveltal is still my favorite, but I do like Xerneas too, as it looks quite mysterious, just staring off in the woods. I wonder what the story behind them will be?

Back