• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Sword Art Online

Years
Reki's well aware that there are issues with the SAO story, especially regarding inconsistencies between main story and side stories, since they were written after the fact. I believe I've heard that he plans to go back and rewrite the entire SAO section, but I forget where i heard it and don't have any immediate source at the moment.

I think that's one of the reasons I've been willing to cut the author some slack and defend the series over the past few months during the mass hype backlash, he was pretty straightforward with his acknowledgements of issues and inconsistencies in the story.

And yes, the entire SAO arc is being rewritten under the Banner of "SAO Progressive." It will go floor by floor I believe with the first volume out in 3 days or so. Vol. 1 covers Floors 1-3 If I recall.

So people can truly consider the SAO anime to be literally...SAO Abridged.

Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
Years
Since I have a few mins I thought I'd comment on ep 13 and 14 before the new arc starts tomorrow.

Ep 14
Spoiler:

Ep 15
Spoiler:

Years
Episode 16 Preview

Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 14, 2021
Really love this anime and have been watching non-stop 3 days ago since my friend introduced it to me. (I have school, otherwise I would have watched all 15 released episodes in about 6~7 hours)

My feelings about episode 14 and 15.
Spoiler:

episode 15
Spoiler:

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
Episode 16
Spoiler:

Broken_Arrow

Paper Plane
Years
so,ots of people kept saying SAO Sao it's a pretty good anime so i decided to read some spoilers and reviews i found out that it's disappointing..tbh i wonder why do you people like it a lot?

tajaros

Hi I'm dawg
Years
so,ots of people kept saying SAO Sao it's a pretty good anime so i decided to read some spoilers and reviews i found out that it's disappointing..tbh i wonder why do you people like it a lot?

What? Disappointing?

If you watched you should like it the story is really good. :P

Broken_Arrow

Paper Plane
Years
hmmm,what i read and some comments people said about the anime all that made me think it's disappointing to know that about anime which has such fame

Years
hmmm,what i read and some comments people said about the anime all that made me think it's disappointing to know that about anime which has such fame

You shouldn't let critics dictate your opinion. Try it out and see what you think. If you still don't like it, then it's a difference in taste. No need to torture yourself in wondering why people like it.

Taemin

[i][b]MOVE[/i][/b]
Years
  • Age 36
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 10, 2023

Well any series is gonna have people who openly dislike it, while you tend to hear less from the fans who enjoy it because they're too busy actually being into it to comment. xD Just because a few reviews or comments say it's bad, that shouldn't reflect your opinion unless the series in general just doesn't look interesting to you. I'm picky about my anime series, but I enjoy SOA, and I'd recommend it. v w v

J

good morning
Years
  • Seen Jun 21, 2016
i'm pretty sure that there's a bit of a delay between character death and brain frying, since otherwise santa claus's revival item would be useless.

but anyways dudes if you don't like the Power of Friendship and the conjecture that love conquers all, then i suggest you go watch some dark-noir series where everyone dies and does cocaine and dies while doing cocaine and so on and so forth.
or you can just stay in reality; there is nothing more silly than trying to look for reality in fiction.
(while there is such a thing as the willing suspension of disbelief, i don't think it's so serious in SAO)

so you haven't watched it yourself?
just so you know, by the way, the reviews on ANN are mostly garbage.

Spoiler:

trapincher

Rocket Executive
Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2014
SAO really "jumped the gun."
If the anime waited till SAO Progressive came out and not just based the Aincrad Arc on the first volume...it would have been a much better anime. The Aincrad arc had too many time gaps.

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
SAO really "jumped the gun."
If the anime waited till SAO Progressive came out and not just based the Aincrad Arc on the first volume...it would have been a much better anime. The Aincrad arc had too many time gaps.

I kind of liked it like that :/ people were moaning there was too much character building and not enough fightscenes - sure they could have thrown in loads more floors but it would have been mostly unnecessary.

The new ep was cool! :) Kirito is back to his old look pretty much aha!

trapincher

Rocket Executive
Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2014
I kind of liked it like that :/ people were moaning there was too much character building and not enough fightscenes - sure they could have thrown in loads more floors but it would have been mostly unnecessary.

The new ep was cool! :) Kirito is back to his old look pretty much aha!

Many people wanted SAO to become a shonen anime or something like that. A MMORPG would make a great setting for a shonen anime. But now that I think of it, it's true that added more floors would be unnecessary. Kirito was already strong in the beginning of the story so there's no point of the added floors. (never thought about that) I guess I wanted more character development for the side characters. (Klein and Agil) I thought they were AWESOME.

I liked Kayaba Akihiko a lot too...haha. He just seemed really cool. (prepares to get bashed)

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
but anyways dudes if you don't like the Power of Friendship and the conjecture that love conquers all, then i suggest you go watch some dark-noir series where everyone dies and does cocaine and dies while doing cocaine and so on and so forth.
or you can just stay in reality; there is nothing more silly than trying to look for reality in fiction.
I disagree, I think that looking for reality in fiction makes perfect sense. Things like Eden of the East and Baccano!, to name a couple, are great anime that ground themselves in reality while adding surreal elements without it not making sense. Realism does work to make things more interesting, that's largely why people like a lot of series out there that do so. I've never been a fan of "the power of friendship" or "love conquers all" when used as a character amplifier or an illogical plot point, and it's ruined varipus anime for me (anime that were trying to take themselves seriously). Sometimes it's made them predictable, and other times it is just silly (exempting the cases, such as kids shows, TTGL, and some other shows, where they use the powers of friendship and love as either thematic devices, explained facets of reality, or intentionally illogical powers). However, there are anime that take those themes and use them so that they make sense, such as Angel Beats!, Slayers Next, so on and so forth. Realism can and often does make things better, especially in media. An anime doesn't have to be "uber dark" to be realistic, that would make them far more niche and far less popular. It would alienate age groups, people of various interests and sensitivities, and a bunch of others. All creators of some media, especially those that are surreal, consider how much they want the story to relate to the world we live in, because often times crowds enjoy relatable worlds and relatable characters. Almost all pieced of media, non-fiction or otherwise, use varying degrees of realism. Heck, if there were no realism in anime...nay, in fiction (which is incredibly open-ended), you would see far less people reading books, watching TV, and getting into the jobs that create the aforementioned. Friendship and love can be used in logical manners in anime, in realistic manners that help to drive the surrealism of the media.

Sword Art Online and Dot Hack actually give tribute to that, and they use friendship and love as emotional strength rather than deus ex machina that gives them super strength (save for one, technically two moments in SAO). The real people are the characters, and thus when emotions are involved, its used in a logical sense rather than as a superpower. For instance, the avatars in Dot Hack GU are driven by the thought processes of the user. Emotions aren't simply the matter of the heart, they are also the matter of the mind and the body. When a user feels angry, it's only natural that the avatar will reflect that, even if it is inadvertent. If the user wants to protect something they love, it's only natural that the avatar will act more desperate and less cautious, that's how people are in real life. You can't not have realism in fiction (especially SAO and DH, which are both MMOs meant to be grounded in reality), because then you not only lose logic, but you also exempt incredible amounts of people from being immersed in the work.

Regarding the newest episode, there were some things I found to be odd.
Spoiler:

Other than that, this episode wasn't bad. There was a lot more fanservice than I was expecting (seriously, it had more fanservice in one episode than the show's had in 16 episodes). It did more to flesh out ALO and help us better understand the world, which is always good.

Last edited:

J

good morning
Years
  • Seen Jun 21, 2016
something
you're not interpreting my statement correctly: i grant that some realism is a crucial element in fiction in certain dosages-- since i don't want everything to be alice in wonderland or finnegans freaking wake-- but what i was speaking out against was the kind of finickyness that has people going all "GOSH giga drill breaker is such a dumb move because angular momentum isn't conserved AT ALL" or whatever. in this context i meant that if you want fiction to mirror reality totally, then there's no point in fiction. i did mention the willing suspension of disbelief, right?

but anyways, for the sake of staying on topic and circumventing one more wall of text--
lizbeth and silica are such great characters and i find it mighty sad that they only appear like one (point one five) episodes each. and then agil and good ol' klein are forgotten also

:(( <-- me sad

for anyone seeing big gaping inconsistencies in plot, i recommend the novels since anime adaptations usually compromise details for time limitations.

Last edited:

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
you're not interpreting my statement correctly: i grant that some realism is a crucial element in fiction in certain dosages-- since i don't want everything to be alice in wonderland or finnegans freaking wake-- but what i was speaking out against was the kind of finickyness that has people going all "GOSH giga drill breaker is such a dumb move because angular momentum isn't conserved AT ALL" or whatever. in this context i meant that if you want fiction to mirror reality totally, then there's no point in fiction. i did mention the willing suspension of disbelief, right?
Ah, in that case I completely agree with you. I did misunderstand what you were saying, sorry about that. -_-'

Also, for those of you who are interested, I've uploaded what seems to be the only remaining Japanese Crossing Field video (the theme to SAO) to Youtube. I've added the terms of use and it's unlisted (and on an unrelated note, it's in HD), so it should stay up there for a while. Enjoy.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
Almost inactive for a month! D:

Anyone keeping up?

I've been reading so many forums of complaining tweens recently who have been ripping SAO apart. Moaning that it is either too into fanservice or there isn't enough action.

Personally, I barely notice fanservice - most anime have it to some degree and it doesn't take over SAO. With the action it's pretty much the perfect amount, some fighting each episode but not dragged out battles ala Bleach/Naruto/etc.

And this last episode was awesome!

Spoiler:

J

good morning
Years
  • Seen Jun 21, 2016
i must say i liked kirito better when he was an angsty-seclusive hero, as opposed to his current aloof, leap-before-you-look type of hero.
for this reason, i wish they did more episodes in aincrad

ZetaZaku

AEUG Pilot
Years
Since it's almost over, they should pick up the pace. Absolutely nothing important happened in the recent episode and everything seemed as dragged on, except the end of the episode. There are more important stuff than Kirito raging and trying to beat what teams of strong player couldn't beat before. Thus the whole middle 10minutes ended up being a waste. If he and his sister tackled the dungeon together, he'd win for sure. I suppose that will actually happen in the next episode.

Back