• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Identity

Whose Overworld sprite do you want to see?

• ??? (The mysterious woman)

Votes: 29 42.6%
  • Aster

Votes: 14 20.6%
  • Kaius

Votes: 12 17.6%
  • Lilah

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • Sadie

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • Vivi

Votes: 6 8.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021
you just ruined my whole year
I was looking forward to playing this, but oh well, things like this happen. ;_;
do you have any idea how long the setback would be?

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 24, 2021
A couple of things went wrong.

• The game black screens when it asks for your name in the beginning.
  • I forgot that the hacked engine erases pre-existing scripts.
  • Could not get new sprites to show up properly.

I've decided to manually transfer all of the maps, scripts, sprites, etc.
On the plus side, it means that I can clean up my older scripts.

As for how long it would take, this is quite troubling because the reason I planned on a new years release date is because I'm really busy this month and will not have a lot of time to even fix those problems.

Kip

🔥 Fluffy Fire Fox
Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen yesterday
A couple of things went wrong.

• The game black screens when it asks for your name in the beginning.
  • I forgot that the hacked engine erases pre-existing scripts.
  • Could not get new sprites to show up properly.

I've decided to manually transfer all of the maps, scripts, sprites, etc.
On the plus side, it means that I can clean up my older scripts.

As for how long it would take, this is quite troubling because the reason I planned on a new years release date is because I'm really busy this month and will not have a lot of time to even fix those problems.

Hey dude - these things happen. At least you're keeping us well informed ^^ unlike some other mysteriously delayed hacks I could mention... I'm curious though, what advantages does the hacked engine have over the standard one (without giving away plot points of course ;) ).

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 24, 2021
The hacked engine will let me switch the overworld sprite and many of its other features will let me create actual puzzles as opposed to mazes that I've only done so far.

Also, the ability to add near-infinite amounts of overworld palettes and sprites is a nice thing to have.

The Corrupt Plague

Missingno. hunter
Years
That's okay, VG. I would actually rather play a hack that has been tested thoroughly and well polished than one that has been rushed and full of bugs. I would like to see you take your time on it because that make it much better and more refined. Like I said earlier, I really enjoyed the demo and I expect great things when the next one does appear. Good luck!

RuRuBell

Beeef
Years
Naturally it's a bit of a shame that it's delayed, but I'm willing to wait-these things happen, of course, and I'm sure that you're trying your best. I'd be willing to wait another year to play more of this hack. ;)

Good luck!

Sierraffinity

Desperately trying to retire from ROM hacking
Years
Hey, VGAura, there IS a tool for the hacked engine. If you have a pretty recent copy, you can use the tool instead. It will not erase pre-existing scripts, and you can choose WHERE to apply the things to... meaning that nothing will be overwritten!

If you don't have backups... how have you even gotten this far???

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 24, 2021
Do you mean the hacked routine applier?
It doesn't create the table at 0x1A2000 that allows us to create our own OW tables.

Also, I do have backups but they're either:
From before I applied the hacked engine - These backups work but many scripts that uses the hacked engine weren't implemented yet. (Even if I do implement them, they won't work without the hacked engine)
or
After I applied the hacked engine - These backups black-screens once the player gets asked to input their name.

Sierraffinity

Years
Do you mean the hacked routine applier?
It doesn't create the table at 0x1A2000 that allows us to create our own OW tables.

Also, I do have backups but they're either:
From before I applied the hacked engine - These backups work but many scripts that uses the hacked engine weren't implemented yet. (Even if I do implement them, they won't work without the hacked engine)
or
After I applied the hacked engine - These backups black-screens once the player gets asked to input their name.
Well, it's probably not created at 0x1A2000 because you input its offset into the program.
Use the tool and implement everything into addresses of your choice. Then put the things you implemented afterward into that copy (after testing, of course).

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 24, 2021
I don't think the applier has an option that creates the new OW table because it never prompts you for an offset, and I tried everything in that tool.
That's why I need the hacked engine to work.

Also, I don't think it creates the new palette table either.

Sierraffinity

Years
I don't think the applier has an option that creates the new OW table because it never prompts you for an offset, and I tried everything in that tool.
That's why I need the hacked engine to work.

Also, I don't think it creates the new palette table either.
It creates the new OW table, you have to apply the Overworld hacks and then click "Get changed data". As for the palette table, you'll probably need to repoint that manually.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 24, 2021
You're right, the routine applier does create the new OW table, I just have to find it.

SkieTheKitsune

Hi, I'm FoxMan! I physically cannot change my user
Years
what do i need to play Pokemon Identity?

You need the following 3 things-

1. An emulator. (Since this is a hack of a GBA game I recommend VBA- (by the way, that's VisualBoyAdvance if you don't know), but you can always pick something else)
2. A clean FireRed rom. (Specifically the English rom. If you want to get even more specific, use the file name that is given in the first post. I ain't giving anything out because linking to roms is not allowed, obviously.)
3. An IPS patcher. (I recommend Lunar IPS, but again, you can always pick something else.)

Download the IPS patch, use the patcher to patch it to a copy of the rom, rename the rom to (preferably) the title of this hack, and bingo, you've got yourself a demo of Pokemon Identity. I hope that was helpful.

xDaisuke0

Aspiring Professor
Years
Played this through twice cuz it was so good.
Games should be like this, it's indepth and totally different.
Sucks to hear that you're facing some trouble and it's not coming out yet but hope you can fix it all up and take your time, we're all waiting eagerly but patiently.
:D Good Luck.

Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2015
I am not far into the demo yet but so far it is an amazing game. I love the fact you can choose a Ralts as your starter, it is tied with Umbreon at being my favorite pokemon.

pizzaz007

Why not?
Years
Well, during my first playthrough of this game (I LOVED it by the way), I found a game breaking bug. When you get the guards key and go down into the sewers and the girl lets you in (sorry, i forgot her name :P), if you die while wondering in those sewers, you can never be let through again, because she doesn't come to get you. You probably need to fix that bug, but other than that, the game looks EPIC :D

Back