• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NovaStar

Team Malachite Spriter
Years

Anyways, here is my map. It's the starter town for a non existent hack :P. The cave is victory road, and it's kind of like a crossroad for trainers. To the south is the first three gyms, to the east is the next three gyms, and to the north is the final two and the league.

I like it, I see no tile errors (other than the one biker on the right) and it seems like it could work in a real game. Your flower placement isn't uniformed which is good and the layout doesn't look too open or too crowed.
Overall it's a pretty good starting town. 8/10

Now for my map, or should I say maps.
Map Name: Onset Cape/ Route 1
Map Game: Unnamed as of now (Emerald Rom)
Credits: No fancy tilesets, just the regular Emerald ones.
Comments: Onset Cape is the starting town of hack I'm working with it. It has to entrances/ exits, leading out into the first route. The first route itself fits the linear path most of the games have. I can say now that I see a few tile errors with the sand but I can fix them in a heart beat.

Spoiler:

Years
I like it, I see no tile errors (other than the one biker on the right) and it seems like it could work in a real game. Your flower placement isn't uniformed which is good and the layout doesn't look too open or too crowed.
Overall it's a pretty good starting town. 8/10

Now for my map, or should I say maps.
Map Name: Onset Cape/ Route 1
Map Game: Unnamed as of now (Emerald Rom)
Credits: No fancy tilesets, just the regular Emerald ones.
Comments: Onset Cape is the starting town of hack I'm working with it. It has to entrances/ exits, leading out into the first route. The first route itself fits the linear path most of the games have. I can say now that I see a few tile errors with the sand but I can fix them in a heart beat.

Spoiler:

I like it, I love how there's a distance between the buildings. However, there's alot of empty space, and why did you use the Secret Base trees? They don't look very good, and I think it will look better if you use normal trees. There are some tile errors aswell to the right when the rocks reach the water, and the cliff at the top stops without an end. Overall, pretty good, but it can be better: 7.5/10

NovaStar

Team Malachite Spriter
Years
Well if this is any better please say so. And about the cliff side not ending, it's going to be resolved in the next city.
Spoiler:

altariaking

Needs NO VMs...
Years

Well apart from the bottom part, it's pretty bare. No paths, no flowers, just grass houses and signs. And Postboxes. And trees, but anyway, the mountain part at the bottom right were the two mountains are parallel doesn't look too good either, and the lakes are all really square, and just get smaller. Tree placement looks pretty good. Maybe you could move the houses up a little? And give them windows. Overall, not bad, but just a few things that could be fixed up a little.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Map Name: Route 401
Map Game: Pokemon Iron and Stone
Credits: Link to thread in sig.
Comments: I like it. Most of the crit I had received on past maps was about the lack of space for the player to move, so I tried my best to fix that, and completely redone my old Route 401. There are a few one tile spaces, but, ah well. This is the first route, where you will encounter the evil team having an argument with the good team, and then after the evil team leave, the leader of the good team will show you how to catch a Pokemon, and give you Pokeballs. To the left there will be a grunt from the evil team, so you'll be forced to go forwards. Then, once you gain access to the left, there will be a few trainers, and then another route. Not much else to do in this route unless you like Hummingbirds, Squirrels, Dogs and Abra.
Map:
Spoiler:

I have permission from Gira to repost this :)

Years
I have permission from Gira to repost this :)

It looks awesome, very natural and pretty to walk around in. I like the different colors of the trees, however, right now, it's like this (1 is a green tree, 2 a blue tree)
And it keeps going on like that. You could make it even more natural by randomly placing different colors of trees next to each other. However, this is all optional. It is very enjoyable already. Great work! 9.5/10

shinyabsol1

Pokemon DarkJasper!?
Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2022
my map
name: dessert kanto trail (name subject to change)
rom: ruby
description: it connects part of orre to kanto (can't see other side of cave from opposite sides) and you aren't suppose to get back to orre.
Spoiler:

For me, your map is a little bland. More detailed mountains would make it more appealing. Same for the little bit of desert area that is shown. More rocks and stuff like that would make it better. Otherwise, I would say that it is a solid map.

Rout 22 is a good map. Simple "but effective". I like it.

For the map of Viridian city: Assuming you didn't want to add any new features to it not from the original game, this map is spot on. Keep it as it is if what you wanted was a R/S/E version of the kanto city.

Last edited:

goirish3

Pizza!
Years
  • Age 36
  • US
  • Seen Jan 19, 2012
The desert trail is pretty good, but I don't get the sandy part at the top at all. Is it supposed to be there or is it a mistake? Route 22 is ok, but what the heck is the patch of sand at the bottom? Also, the last one is kind of pointless because it is almost identical to the town that you fight the 8th gym leader in firered/leafgreen.

This is the starting town in my game. Both red circles have fat guy sprites one gives you a pokemon, one moves after you get the pokemon. I don't want to explain the storyline to you because I don't have time to write a 3 paragraph essay, but all I can tell you is that you are in a very poor world run by a dictator, and you don't know where you are, who you are, and why you are where you are (kind of amnesia). I'm only about 2-5% through but I might have Alpha 1 out by the start of spring.

Last edited:

Surf

Years
  • Age 29
  • Rust
  • Seen Jul 31, 2011
The desert trail is pretty good, but I don't get the sandy part at the top at all. Is it supposed to be there or is it a mistake? Route 22 is ok, but what the heck is the patch of sand at the bottom? Also, the last one is kind of pointless because it is almost identical to the town that you fight the 8th gym leader in firered/leafgreen.

This is the starting town in my game. Both red circles have fat guy sprites one gives you a pokemon, one moves after you get the pokemon. I don't want to explain the storyline to you because I don't have time to write a 3 paragraph essay, but all I can tell you is that you are in a very poor world run by a dictator, and you don't know where you are, who you are, and why you are where you are (kind of amnesia). I'm only about 2-5% through but I might have Beta 1 out by the start of spring.

I'm sorry but you've done nothing but add grass to the origional Little-urrr-town?
Anyway, the big grass has heaps of hitmakers tile errors, you didn't add the bottom.
Try make your own maps, not just keeping the same layout and filling it with grass.

1/10 (Seeing as you did something to the map, it deserved a point.)

Years
  • Seen Apr 14, 2016
Rated Map:
This is the starting town in my game. Both red circles have fat guy sprites one gives you a pokemon, one moves after you get the pokemon. I don't want to explain the storyline to you because I don't have time to write a 3 paragraph essay, but all I can tell you is that you are in a very poor world run by a dictator, and you don't know where you are, who you are, and why you are where you are (kind of amnesia). I'm only about 2-5% through but I might have Beta 1 out by the start of spring.

Review: this looks too much like littleroot. am not exactly sure but i think the tall grass has a tile for the bottom half since i see a lot of tile errors with the tall grass connection with the regular grass.

Suggestions: maybe make the map bigger or wider just to be able to rearrange the houses to look less like littleroot. instead of having grass everyway maybe just have it in patchs.

Rating:1/10

Map Name: Route 1

Map Game: Pokemon Peridot(temp.), Firered Base

Comments: First map ive honestly tried on, never did too much mapping. on the right side we have the entrance(bottom corner) and a secluded area where an event happens. on the left side we have the exit

Mapshot:
(see attachment if needed)
Spoiler:

Last edited:

goirish3

Pizza!
Years
  • Age 36
  • US
  • Seen Jan 19, 2012
You may think i'm lying but I am truly being honest, all the spoiler shows is a red X.:(

As you might know, this map is without all of the trainers but it contains quite a few (especially fishermen). The yellow building is the TM and HM factory, which has lots of trainers and TMs lying on the ground, plus a boss (but the event is optional). I would post it's map too, but it is unfinished.

Now that you attached the thumbnail I can see your map. it is awesome. maybe it is just that I havn't played in the Kanto for a long time, but I can;t tell what map you edited. Like the two new trees you made too. 9/10

Last edited by a moderator:

Surf

Years
  • Age 29
  • Rust
  • Seen Jul 31, 2011
Rated Map:

Review: this looks too much like littleroot. am not exactly sure but i think the tall grass has a tile for the bottom half since i see a lot of tile errors with the tall grass connection with the regular grass.

Suggestions: maybe make the map bigger or wider just to be able to rearrange the houses to look less like littleroot. instead of having grass everyway maybe just have it in patchs.

Rating:1/10

Map Name: Route 1

Map Game: Pokemon Peridot(temp.), Firered Base

Comments: First map ive honestly tried on, never did too much mapping. on the right side we have the entrance(bottom corner) and a secluded area where an event happens. on the left side we have the exit

Mapshot:
(see attachment if needed)
Spoiler:

Too much grass, add something other than it, or else the player is just going to be getting frustrated by the amount of Pokemon/lack of different foliage.
And, I'm pretty sure that those trees are Kyledoves forbidden ones, so you might want to remove them
But I could be wrong
7.5/10

Years
  • Seen Apr 14, 2016
well im not too experienced with GSC maps but I can tell you this:

there are many, many tile errors going on with the mountains, several of them so bad that they are in fact floating in midair. But other than that the map looks fun and interesting.

Rating: 7/10

Suggestions: fix the tile errors and it'll look great.

anyway here's my map in the attachments, Im not planning to use it in a hack I just want to see how good a mapper I am and know what I can improve on.

Map Name: Route AB
Map game: None :0

comments: overall, decent-good map. all i have to say is that things seem to0 perfectly aligned, look up neti's natural tutorial, but thats about it. maybe a bit more decorations too(flowers, small trees).

rating: 6.5-7/10

suggestions: have more decorations and make it more natural.

Now my Map

Map name: Route 2(first half)
Map Game: Pokemon Peridot(temp.)Firered base
Mapshot: see attachment

Comments: well first id like to comment on the tiles, i just learned the tree and grass were kyledove's but the small tree was made by me to match them and i made this map before i could change them so, sry. but this is the first half of route 2 (havent finish part 2). pretty much you enter from the right, either go up or down, and end up at the building that takes you to the first gym. going further left into the mountains would be blocked by police OWs until you finish all events at the first badge.

Last edited:

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
anyway here's my map in the attachments, Im not planning to use it in a hack I just want to see how good a mapper I am and know what I can improve on.

Map Name: Route AB
Map game: None :0

Review: While this seems like a nice map, I think that there are a few issues that are preventing it from reaching its full potential.

First up, your mountainous area has a large number of tiles errors, moctly stemming from how you have constructed the mountains. look at the 'centre bump' on the lower part of the mountain - If you look carefully you can see that by stacking one layer on top of another the ridge of the lower layer is removed. I'd advise you to go over this mountainous region and redo the blocks that have been incorrectly placed. In addition, make sure that your border is correct, as I fear that if you look to the right of the mountains in-game is will be messed up (provided you are using the 4x4 tress as your border).

I'm slightly confused as to your tall grass placement - Don't you have two tiles that have tall grass and the large treetops? By having those two tiles it would make your tall grass patches look much better (as they'd be complete) and it would prevent a player from taking a shortcut by walking in the tree line and skipping the bulk of the tall grass.

The small trees jutting out in random places aren't really appealling as they block the player's path through the route. Finally, the large open area just below the opening to the mountainous area doesn't seem to have any reason to exist :/

Suggestions: Clean up the tile errors around your mountain while ensuring that your border is correct in-game. If you don't have the tall grass tiles I mentioned earlier, make them and place them in the appropriate areas of your map. Do something with the opening to the mountainous area.

Its a decent map, but I believe it could be better with those alterations :D

comments: overall, decent-good map. all i have to say is that things seem to0 perfectly aligned, look up neti's natural tutorial, but thats about it. maybe a bit more decorations too(flowers, small trees).

I'd have to disagree on the assumption that having trees 'perfectly alligned' is a feature that mappers should steer away from. I think that the trees look wonderful the way they are and simply make the map easier to work with.

Map name: Route 2(first half)
Map Game: Pokemon Peridot(temp.)Firered base
Mapshot: see attachment

Comments: well first id like to comment on the tiles, i just learned the tree and grass were kyledove's but the small tree was made by me to match them and i made this map before i could change them so, sry. but this is the first half of route 2 (havent finish part 2). pretty much you enter from the right, either go up or down, and end up at the building that takes you to the first gym. going further left into the mountains would be blocked by police OWs until you finish all events at the first badge.

Review: Dear God, you have a lot of empty space on the left-hand side of the map, don't you :P

Your map has the two movement permission extremes - A large open area (up to 12+ blocks wide in some cases) and numerous 'one-tile paths' of the wooded area. The large and empty can be disorienting for a player (as they can only see so far) and to be quite honest, is quite boring. Even if you were to have trainers, NPCs and the like, it wouldn't prevent the surrounding landscape from feeling like a chore to cross :D

The wooded area is claustrophobic compared to the first half of the route - Transitioning from an extreme really doesn't make your map to good. I know that you like to keep your map 'natural', but that shouldn't prevent you from giving the player a greater freedom of mobility in some areas. There are numerous times where the player will have to pass through a single tile in order to progress, which is indicative of a lack of mobility.

The tile with the generic rock over the regular rocky ground is being used in correctly in some areas. On the lower mountain it is being used instead of a mountain 'ridge' (the centre-top of your classic 3x3 mountain configuration in A-Map) when it should be used in the centre of the mountain. Did you forget to put in flowers throughout the map, or were the none on your base? Put some in to bring some colour to the map :P

Suggestions: Ensure that your map has a general width throughout which is not too wide or narrow, as it will give the player a sense of direction while ensuring that they still have a degree of freedom in terms of their movement (4-6 tiles widths should be where your are aiming). Liven up the left-hand side of the map - Where are the large trees? The small trees? The flowers? Use anything you can thing of to remove the overwhelming sense of emptiness. Make sure that player isn't restricted in terms of movement in some of your built-up areas.

Years
  • Seen Apr 14, 2016
Review: Dear God, you have a lot of empty space on the left-hand side of the map, don't you :P

Your map has the two movement permission extremes - A large open area (up to 12+ blocks wide in some cases) and numerous 'one-tile paths' of the wooded area. The large and empty can be disorienting for a player (as they can only see so far) and to be quite honest, is quite boring. Even if you were to have trainers, NPCs and the like, it wouldn't prevent the surrounding landscape from feeling like a chore to cross :D

The wooded area is claustrophobic compared to the first half of the route - Transitioning from an extreme really doesn't make your map to good. I know that you like to keep your map 'natural', but that shouldn't prevent you from giving the player a greater freedom of mobility in some areas. There are numerous times where the player will have to pass through a single tile in order to progress, which is indicative of a lack of mobility.

The tile with the generic rock over the regular rocky ground is being used in correctly in some areas. On the lower mountain it is being used instead of a mountain 'ridge' (the centre-top of your classic 3x3 mountain configuration in A-Map) when it should be used in the centre of the mountain. Did you forget to put in flowers throughout the map, or were the none on your base? Put some in to bring some colour to the map :P

Suggestions: Ensure that your map has a general width throughout which is not too wide or narrow, as it will give the player a sense of direction while ensuring that they still have a degree of freedom in terms of their movement (4-6 tiles widths should be where your are aiming). Liven up the left-hand side of the map - Where are the large trees? The small trees? The flowers? Use anything you can thing of to remove the overwhelming sense of emptiness. Make sure that player isn't restricted in terms of movement in some of your built-up areas.

well i hope i got the gist of wat you were saying, so heres version 2.

sab

Now too much of a life.
Years
well i hope i got the gist of wat you were saying, so heres version 2.

It looks better, but it some more color. eg. flowers,water etc.You fixed some of the empty space, but there is still a lot of empty space, and I see some mountain tile errors. 6.5/10 I'm sorry I don't have time for a more detailed review.

Map Title: Rural pass
Description: many events happen here, which is why the cave is blocked off at first, there is that one rock off to the side, and there are so many little loops. The flowers at the top of the map lead into a forest.
Credits: JH, ozmas corp, kyledove, Jiggly, lu-ho, and me
Mapshot:
Spoiler:

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Description: many events happen here, which is why the cave is blocked off at first, there is that one rock off to the side, and there are so many little loops. The flowers at the top of the map lead into a forest.
Mapshot:
Spoiler:

Rating: 9/10

Reason: I like the layout. This layout is fitting for a rough path - not-wide paths, lots of grass, and well-placed really tall grass. Not to mention that the scenery is so... beautiful. And it also causes the player to go around the winding paths, to the destinations. The whole thing is also natural-looking. no sign of unnaturally straight lines. No noticeable tiling issues most of the time. The one point I docked off is for the weird rocks on top of the small lake/pond. It... clashes with the water. And for the weird tile in front of the topleft-most cave entrance and right in the top part of the bridge.

Suggestions: Fix the weird tile with the correct tile (mountaineous). Get rid of the floating rocks on the water. I think it might look better if you get rid of weird tiles that make it not look seamless.

Final Comments: The map is almost finished! It's nice, and fully playable. Now, addd a few improvements from my suggestions, and... well... it might be even better!

2RandomStudios

Angry Jigglypuff
Years
Mapshot:
Spoiler:

Rating: 8/10

Reason: This map is chock full of great ideas. It looks very natural and is quite interesting. It has an excellent variety of trees and scenery too. However, I do still have some criticism. First off, the tile errors. There are plenty of areas where you could make the rock to grass transition flow better, and some of your tree shading is off. Overall though, this is great!

Suggestions: Fix the rock to grass transition and the tree shading.

Final Comments: This map seems to have great playability and looks like its quite fun!

Ok now for my maps!

Map names: Berry woods and Mountain trail (subject to change)

Map descriptions: The berry woods is the main forest of the game and contains a sacred tree in the center, the right side of the river isn't complete yet, as it isn't accessible until much later in the game. Mountain Trail is the route leading from the home town in the mountains, into the next city in the valley.

Credits: Me!

Mapshots:

Berry Woods:
Spoiler:

Mountain Trail:
Spoiler:

(Pictures are also attachments)

Last edited:

Rayce

Nooo0000OOB
Years
  • Age 27
  • USA
  • Seen Aug 23, 2014
Mapshot:
Spoiler:

I really like this map. It is difficult to navigate without being strictly annoying.
However, there are a few flaw in the tiling in the upper left corner and what seems to be a unaccessible cave mouth(was that on purpose?) I like the map anyway so I'm going to give you a 9/10

Years
Okay, firstly, long grass normally comes in clusters. It's not good, aesthetically-wise or playability-wise; try to draw them in squares or off-rectangles. Mountains generally have two layers, and stairs are normally two tiles wide. Otherwise it looks weak and bitty, for want of a better word. More forced grass could be good, and I think replacing some of those ledges with the trees to give the map more shape. The entrances to the gates have tile errors, especially the one towards the top of the map. The rocks have been sporadically placed and won't help, playability-wise. Finally, I think you should limit aroudn four or five tiles wide or high at anyone time, though that normally is taken up by paths or other aesthetic tiles. Don't follow this all the time, however, but try not to ever have only one tile for the player to walk through.

--

Map Name: Carol Road
Map Game: Pokémon: FireRed Version
Mapshot:
Spoiler:

Comments: THIS IS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE A NATURAL MAP. I map in the Game Freak style and always will, so there's no point trying to make me criss-cross my trees and randomly place my tall grass. Thank you. :3

--

Also:
what seems to be a unaccessible cave mouth(was that on purpose?)
Imany events happen here, which is why the cave is blocked off at first

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back